Tip for fellow pizza addicts

Options

Replies

• desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat school pizza. Easy portion control because we only get one piece. If we get more, we're charged extra. Plus, it's actually really good for school pizza!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    kksoucie wrote: »
    I do understand!! My solution was to make my own english muffin pizzas. Not quite like a regular pizza but very good and easy to portion out, Yummy!!
    ^This is a good idea. Also I make pita pizzas almost every day for lunch because I love pizza so much! I use a whole wheat pita, 2 TBSP pizza sauce, a 1/4 cup of really good Italian cheese blend (Trader Joe's Quatro Formaggio) and 6 slices of pepperoni. Bake it in the oven/toaster oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and you will have delicious thin crust personal pizza for under 300 calories! I've been making these for a few years now and they have saved me from over-eating the "real thing" on many occasions.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mxmkenny sounds good! I've done w ezekiel bread and with tortillas but not pita. I'll have to try it!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Okay, enough with the not-pizza recipes.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

But.....cauli....never mind. ..lol.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I give pita pizzas credit at least as being basically a calzone if prepared properly.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually go to a place where I can get it by the slice. I get real pizza and there is none left over in the house for me to binge on. I'll also buy all of the regular pizza ingredients and the smaller crusts to help with portion control. I refuse to make something that isn't pizza and pretend that it's pizza. That just tastes like sadness.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    I'm addicted to pizza, could eat it every day. I can usually control myself and have only a couple slices, unless I've been drinking in which case I want to be a pizza black hole and absorb all the pizza in the world. If there is leftover pizza in my fridge, that's just, no - I will eat it all post-haste, cold, warm, hot, I don't care.

I've discovered that the optimal strategy for me is to buy a large pizza when I'm totally sober and just kind of want pizza, eat a slice or two, and then freeze the rest. Amazingly this works, I can leave it alone until I'm desperate for pizza, at which point I take out only the amount that is calorically responsible to eat and put it in the over to re-heat. It makes it a lot harder to impulse eatallthepizzabecausepizza, and I don't need to spend 3 hours making it from scratch or order delivery for way too much money and eat too much because it's right there. This probably sounds neurotic, but I'm willing to bet that there are other moderate-drinker-pizza-freaks on a budget out there who may want to give this a try, it sounds so simple and obvious but...okay maybe it is, but it's a greatly victorious strategy.

I think that is a good solution if it works for you

an extreme version of this is to have kids, then you can steal a slice of their pizza

also simply results in portion control
  • Lyndz_88
    Options
    I love pizza, im treating myself to one when ive lost my first stone! Cant control myself to just eat one slice so dont bother eating it at all. I miss it soooomuch! Argh!
  • Ms_Enzo1313
    Ms_Enzo1313 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PIZZAAAA!!! But it's definitely a problem! So I will only eat it once in a while and after looking up the nutrition value, well I am not so willing to eat a few slices anymore. But it is definitely one of the hardest things I have to deal with in regards to out of control eating!
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizzas with Flat-Out light wraps as the crust...get my fix but a lot less calories
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Even if I am completely stuffed, if someone brings a pizza around, I'm eating again.

I can literally eat pizza until I throw up, and then go back for more.

I want to drown in pizza.

That and wine are why I'm fat, haha! Thanks for the tip.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    I'm addicted to pizza, could eat it every day. I can usually control myself and have only a couple slices, unless I've been drinking in which case I want to be a pizza black hole and absorb all the pizza in the world. If there is leftover pizza in my fridge, that's just, no - I will eat it all post-haste, cold, warm, hot, I don't care.

I've discovered that the optimal strategy for me is to buy a large pizza when I'm totally sober and just kind of want pizza, eat a slice or two, and then freeze the rest. Amazingly this works, I can leave it alone until I'm desperate for pizza, at which point I take out only the amount that is calorically responsible to eat and put it in the over to re-heat. It makes it a lot harder to impulse eatallthepizzabecausepizza, and I don't need to spend 3 hours making it from scratch or order delivery for way too much money and eat too much because it's right there. This probably sounds neurotic, but I'm willing to bet that there are other moderate-drinker-pizza-freaks on a budget out there who may want to give this a try, it sounds so simple and obvious but...okay maybe it is, but it's a greatly victorious strategy.

I have made this same wonderful discovery about freezing leftover pizza, but my reheating has all been done in the microwave, which is not the best method.

Would you please share your reheating instructions using the conventional oven? Thanks!

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Agreed. But the pita option I'd still consider in the pizza family since it's an actual bread type crust. Anything other than a dough/bread crust is NOT pizza and should never be treated as such lol.
  • mxmkenney wrote: »
    kksoucie wrote: »
    I do understand!! My solution was to make my own english muffin pizzas. Not quite like a regular pizza but very good and easy to portion out, Yummy!!
    ^This is a good idea. Also I make pita pizzas almost every day for lunch because I love pizza so much! I use a whole wheat pita, 2 TBSP pizza sauce, a 1/4 cup of really good Italian cheese blend (Trader Joe's Quatro Formaggio) and 6 slices of pepperoni. Bake it in the oven/toaster oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and you will have delicious thin crust personal pizza for under 300 calories! I've been making these for a few years now and they have saved me from over-eating the "real thing" on many occasions.
    Your version, seems like a Lunchables type of a pizza; to me.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I generally make my own pizza (4 years of working at Sbarro through college), so I can control how much of anything calorie dense goes into it (oil, cheese, dough). I usually do a large pizza for the two of us, where we eat get two slices plus salad!, and then do the same with the leftovers for a quick lunch on busy weekends. It's "cheating" but it's controlled.

I'm actually making a white pizza this weekend. Exciting stuff! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rehab is always an option ...
  • SimplyRidge
    Options
    I could eat pizza for every meal, every day. Portion control is definitely key to addicts. Pizza alternative recipes are great and all, but it still isn't pizza. If I deprive myself of pizza for a long period of time, I'll binge and eat a whole pie! So, it's ok to treat yourself every now and then as long as you don't overdo it.