Ok to use a smith machine for squats and deadlifts?

Options
purplishblue
purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
There's a gym that opened right down the street from my house, and I think I'd like to join. The only thing is it has a smith machine, not a squat rack. Think it's ok to use that instead for squats? Can I do deadlifts on it? I

The other gym that's near me which does have a squat rack it kind of gross and annoying to get to.

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Some people will say that "No, you can't, because if you do, it is no longer a squat, and it is no longer a deadlift."

That said, my advice is to go with the gross gym if lifting is your priority. Free weights allow correct form, without forcing your body and joints to conform to the unnatural movements of the smith machine.

However. If the smith machine is of the jones variety (bar moves fore and aft as wel) it might be OK.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    of course you can use a smith machine. Use it for whatever you want to. I squat and do deadlifts twice a week and the only reason I dont use a smith machine is it restricts my movement, but if your new to Squats/deadlifts id recommend it. Its a good way to build up your legs and get stronger. watch some youtube videos on how to squat so as not to hurt yourself :-)
  • Waggish
    Waggish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you use a Smith Machine? You don't.

Joking aside, it's fine if you have no other option for squats or deadlifts, but there are plenty of alternatives with dumbbells, cable machines, etc. I'm simply not a fan of the Smith machine because it feels super awkward, and I never feel like I'm positioned properly. I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to those exercises though.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would advise against it. It creates an unnatural bar path, and may ingrain some bad form habits that are hard to break.
  • youngfart
    youngfart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not using the machine, just because of what others have said. It restricts your movements and doesn't allow your stabilization muscles to fire the way they would in a free-form squat or deadlift. If you are new to weightlifting, there are other ways to work those same muscle groups in preparation, but I agree with The Reloader. If you're serious about lifting, check out the gross gym a little more closely. It may be worth the trade off.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What other ways/equipment could be used for those muscles? One thing is I actually don't do deadlines yet because I can't lift the bar with the plates on it yet, so I don't know how to begin like that. I was thinking maybe that is a plus of the smith machine, I can set it higher to grab it?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    What other ways/equipment could be used for those muscles? One thing is I actually don't do deadlines yet because I can't lift the bar with the plates on it yet, so I don't know how to begin like that. I was thinking maybe that is a plus of the smith machine, I can set it higher to grab it?

You could rest the ends of the bar on something to match the height, as if they were through plates.
    Some gyms have 5lb bumper plates that are the same height of a 45 plate.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    1) I wouldn't call that a gym
    2) You can dead via a bar and weights. Might have to steal it from one of the benches though
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    An argument could be used for the Squat but it is 100% pointless to do it for the deadlift and perhaps even more dangerous because of how the bar-path is locked in-place. The Squat is still left to a free Barbell an a rack.