obese, but cannot lose weight with diet and exercise

Options
Hi all. I have loss and gained weight so many times in my life. I have been at a very happy weight just to go back up. i just turned 35 and I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I have a BMI of 38.2 and need to lose 100 lbs to get into the healthy range.

I have been exercising and staying under my calorie goal for 3 weeks now and have not lost AN OUNCE. not one. i am doing everything right. I don't know if it's my age or something else? But I am way too big not to be dropping some weight. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to jumpstart my weight loss? It's very hard to want to stick with it when I don't see any benefits. (not even nicer skin, which is normally the first thing I see). And I don't even really feel better.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you make your diary public so we can look at it and give you some words of advice.

If you don't have one, buy and use a food scale.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you've been staying under your goal and you aren't losing, your goal is too high.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing, you're eating too much. I'm two years younger than you, started at a BMI of 40 and am now eight pounds from the overweight classification. But without logging everything accurately and weighing my foods, it wouldn't have happened.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're either eating more than you think OR you are retaining water if your exercise routine is brand new.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eating more than you think (food scale helps) and burning less than you think (heart rate monitor helps) are both huge culprits.
  • MikeLAdams
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you aren't losing, you're eating too much. I'm two years younger than you, started at a BMI of 40 and am now eight pounds from the overweight classification. But without logging everything accurately and weighing my foods, it wouldn't have happened.

Exactly. Accurate logging.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    All of the above I'm afraid. Good luck!
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    weigh and log food correctly, And give it 3 months not 3 weeks

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Eat less
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing anything, you are eating too much. My guess is you are unintentionally underestimating calories in and overestimating calories burned (if you exercise and eat your calories back). This can kill any deficit.

Do you weigh your food? Do you log everything you eat? Do you eat exercise calories back and, if so, where do you get your calorie burns from?

Please open your diary for more detailed help.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No one here will be able to help you until you open your diary.
    What are your stats, height, tdee?
  • hip2b2
    hip2b2 Posts: 5
    Options
    i do weigh my food. i am staying under 1000 calories today. no estimations. i am 5 foot 11 and 274 lbs. i am walking 10000 steps and do 30 of cardio. i eat mostly raw or whole foods
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You're not eating anywhere near enough in that case. Under 1000 calories is low for anyone, but crazy low for someone of your height and weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hip2b2 wrote: »
    i do weigh my food. i am staying under 1000 calories today. no estimations. i am 5 foot 11 and 274 lbs. i am walking 10000 steps and do 30 of cardio. i eat mostly raw or whole foods

I advise you get to your doctor quickly because if you are truly eating 1000 or less and not losing weight, you have a serious medical issue. Calories in/calories out applies to everyone.

Seriously, you need to open your diary.
  • hip2b2
    Options
    i was actually thinking that i need to see my dr because i really do think something is wrong. how do i open my diary?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should have a doctor overseeing this 100 pound weight loss. Make sure nothing is physically wrong (and "I feel fine!" is not proof), get a calorie goal, find out what foods you should and shouldn't be eating, get cleared for exercise and ask for a referral to a dietitian to assist you with your plan.

Get those answers. Get them from people qualified to give them and get them tailored to you, specifically.

It's the smart way to start!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Work out your tdee here. This will be your starting point. Tdee -20% . Obviously when you get the all clear from your doctor.

Sorry this is the only tdee link I have on hand. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get a doctor workup because otherwise the only possible answer from us can be you aren't tracking accurately and eating more calories than you think whilst burning less than you estimate
  • hip2b2
    Options
    i am terrified i have a resting metabolic rate of 600! (only slightly joking)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You may have a medical condition that will make it harder

9 times out of 10 people just aren't doing it right ...but sometimes there are hormone / thyroid issues that make it more difficult ...not impossible, just difficult

Have you set your diary to public yet?