Went on vacation, gained 4 pounds. Feeling worthless and ashamed.

Options
First off I'm sorry for leaning on you guys so heavily. I dont mean to sound like I'm the person who always needs a hug, but sometimes you have to talk to someone.
Right now is one of those times.
I went on vacation for 3 days and weighed myself to find that I gained 4 pounds.
I was doing so well. I was under my calorie limit and was hitting my cardio goals. This is just such a blow. I know I overate on vacation, but I also walked everywhere and swam for the majority of the days.
I'm just so disappointed and ashamed of myself. I didnt want to log my weight gain in my Check-in but I cant keep lying to myself. I feel so fat and so disgusting right now. I'm sorry.
I keep thinking maybe its because I have a full belly of food and I weighed myself before bed after all of the food I've eaten but I dont want to get in the habit of making excuses.

Sorry guys, you dont have to read if you don't want to. I just needed someone to talk to, and if this reaches your ears (eyes) then thank you for reading.

Replies

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    IMO earning a vacation is earning a lil cut loose time. Its recognized and you can burn a lil harder this week. Dont be too hard on yourself and enjoy your you time too. We have many ways to take care of ourselves and its ok to use the tools we have.
    Ideally this post is seen as a hug!
  • BigmanTG
    BigmanTG Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I can promise you that you didn't gain 4 pounds of fat in 3 days. Just tighten up on your diet the next few days and you'll be back to normal. No sweat
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hug! The first thing to consider is that on vacation we often will eat out and eat foods fairly high in sodium. Much of this weight may be water retention from eating food higher in sodium. That weight will resolve itself fairly quickly over the next few days if you get back to normal. If any of it is actually fat (one pound or so), you got this. You just go back to what you were doing. Real life happens. Don't let it stop your progress!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    BigmanTG wrote: »
    I can promise you that you didn't gain 4 pounds of fat in 3 days. Just tighten up on your diet the next few days and you'll be back to normal. No sweat

+1

Water weight. You'll lose it soon enough. You would have had to eat 14,000 calories more than you burned to put on four pounds. If you did that in three days, head over to the bulking forum so they can crown you their queen.
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    +1

Water weight. You'll lose it soon enough. You would have had to eat 14,000 calories more than you burned to put on four pounds. If you did that in three days, head over to the bulking forum so they can crown you their queen.

Thank you guys. I feel a little better. Honestly, thank you.

The above made me laugh pretty hard. I would tell them to go spend 3 days in Mexico :).
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    Firstly, the chances of you actually gaining 4lb in 3 days are enormously slim. You would have had to consume a whopping 14,000 calories over your TDEE, to put that into perspective.. without including the extra calories you will have lost by swimming and walking everywhere, based on a pretty average TDEE (working on 1800 maintenance calories at a guess) you would have to have consumed appropriately 6466 calories a day + whatever you lost by walking and swimming (probably in the region of 500 more, give or take). My guess is that a lot of this weight is water retention.

Added to that, you were on holiday and we're entitled to enjoy yourself! 3 days hasn't destroyed any healthy lifestyle. In - fact, a healthy lifestyle is every bit about being happy as it is being physically fit.

Don't worry yourself. Keep giving it 110%! You got this!!!!

Adam
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    +1

Thank you guys. I feel a little better. Honestly, thank you.

The above made me laugh pretty hard. I would tell them to go spend 3 days in Mexico :).

Sounds awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed!

• Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You don't have to answer this (is not public business, in my mind), but where are you in The Gal Cycle? Vaca sodium as mentioned above plus pms retention would easily put 2-4 lbs on me. Just something else to consider. :)
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    You don't have to answer this (is not public business, in my mind), but where are you in The Gal Cycle? Vaca sodium as mentioned above plus pms retention would easily put 2-4 lbs on me. Just something else to consider. :)

I actually hadn't considered that.
  • MikeLAdams
    Options
    You probably are retaining water from eating high salt foods. Eat your normal foods, drink some water, you'll be back to normal.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Vacations are like the holidays, loads of tempting goodies, lots of unusual activity, no guilt allowed. Assuming you TDEE somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-1800 normally, you're looking at needing to consume 6-7000 total calories each day of that 3 day vacation, and that's if you sat your happy butt on the couch and watched movies the entire time.

Translation? You did not gain 4 pounds. You're hanging onto water. Possible reasons: sodium intake, travel dehydration, fatigue, monthlies, less fiber/water intake than usual during vaycay resulting in slower digestion, etc etc etc ad infinitum, ad nauseum. There are SOOOO many factors that affect the number on the scale, most of which are impossible to track accurately. I was curious, so at one point I was jumping on a scale every time I walked into the bathroom, purely to see if the "weight fluctuates by (insert #) pounds over the course of a day" stories were true, and guess what, they were. I've seen fluctuations of as much as 8 pounds over the course of a day that had zero causal relationship with what I ate. The scale is a dirty rotten liar. Make friends with your tape measure, it's a much more reliable indicator of your changing body shape.

Sweetheart, you are beautiful, and you can do this. Guilt is a useless emotion, it does nothing to motivate you, it just keeps you focused on the supposed failure. Please jettison that baggage and look at yourself with a little more love. :)