I feel tired after I eat.help!

Options
I alway feel so tired and sleepy after I eat. Mostly at lunch time and I have to take a 30 min nap.dont know what's happening. Any suggestions. Help?

Replies

• thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem when I would eat "heavy" food..meaning cooked or hot... like meat or chili, or pasta ...very rich food for lunch. I switched to lighter food...soup yes I know this is cooked but its light-salad and fruits- nuts ..this always helps me..and then randomly I have to go get a coffee just to perk me up..after noons can drag on and on around my job.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you eating before feeling like this?
  • princessjohnson
    princessjohnson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just regular stuff. Right now I had chicken breast, quinoa and sliced baked potatoes. All I can think about is my bed.
  • michproca
    michproca Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that this happens naturally as your body directs energy into digesting food. If you are eating large meals, maybe you could try smaller meals eaten more frequently?
  • princessjohnson
    Options
    What's a regular portion size. It's hard to know what to much these day.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    could have something to do with your blood levels lowering / rising...have your blood pressure checked.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That may be reactive hypoglycaemia. A carb-heavy meal could also have that effect. It may be beneficial to get your blood glucose levels checked.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you eat a high carb or high sugar meal and feel very tired you might want to check your blood sugar. High blood sugar can make you feel tired and carbs tend to raise your blood sugar if you have insulin problems. Could be just normal too - I am no doctor just sharing my experience.
  • princessjohnson
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm actually Having my annual tomorrow so will get fasting blood sugar checked.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd try to have a protein (chicken, beef, fish) and just a veggie like broccoli and maybe some greek yogurt and see if you still want to sleep...just as an experiment. I'm not saying it will work but I know that high carb things in the AM make me want to nap by 10am. So no muffins, bagels, toast for me any more!
  • princessjohnson
    Options
    I totally had a bagel this morning, I'll try to cut down on the carbs. Is instant oatmeal still OK. That's my normal breakfast, will keep full for 2hrs
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal has a higer GI than rolled oats or steel cut oats, and this may cause sugar spikes. Perhaps, you may want to try less-processed forms of oats instead? They may also keep you feeling fuller for longer. They do take longer to prepare, but you can make them overnight, and allow them to infuse with other ingredients like milk, yoghurt, fruits, etc. In the morning, you'll have a wonderful chilled breakfast, good to go.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes, I jokingly call it my carb-coma. I now tend to eat less carbs at lunch and it seems to help.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Carbs will do that to me. Especially if they are "white carbs (white breads, white pastas)." I'm certainly not opposed to carbs. I eat them for every meal. But I find whole grains do better for me especially if I pair it with some higher protein foods.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    If you feel very tired after a meal, it is highly likely that your blood sugar levels have risen, which may indicate glucose intolerance or diabetes.

Hope you get on OK at your annual.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think you will probably find instant oatmeal will do that too, unless it's the stuff they put more protein in (I'm guessing it's powder or something). The more processed something is the more likely you'll have that crash again. If you like oatmeal, try and make the steel cut kind or the old fashion kind the night before.

We aren't telling you to cut carbs completely, just to think about the ones you are eating and switch them out and see if it helps.