Elliptic machine

Options
So then, i have been trying to run, but only for 2 minutes i can do it without having my shin's Kill me and feel like they are about to break (i assume shin splints), i run/brisk walk 4 times a week for 40 minutes and haven't lost any weight for 2 months.
Im wanting to start the elliptic machine as an alternative to easy my shins, and i was wondering if you have lost weight from doing this? if so, how long did you go on the machine, how many times a week and how long did it take to lose the weight (again, i know everyone is different, but im hoping stories will encourage me more to do it).
im currently 166cm, 80kg and would love to get down to 60kg (no time cap on that).

Thank you in advance and feel free to add me as a friend~~~

Replies

• ajravanos
    ajravanos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    the elliptical machine is my go-to cardio (& outdoor running if i still have daylight by the time i get off of work...which is maybe once a week). for the most part, i am in the gym 5 to 6 times a week. i shoot for 6 days a week, but my gym likes to randomly close down at 7pm on some nights & i am not home from work then.

i've always had success with this machine. most recently, it's helped me lose 65lbs. however, that is also with the combination of eating right (i have a somewhat strict "diet" due to me being an extremely picky person) & light to moderate strength training.

90% of the time, i am on the machine for 45 minutes doing HIIT workouts. this has been the most effective elliptical workout for me. the other 10% of the time, i'll do it for 30 mins or a full hour, but always going back & forth between low & high intensity. i honestly think doing a 30 min HIIT workout would be fine, but i get emotionally invested in this tv show i like to watch on my phone, & each episode is around 45 mins, which is why i stay on it that long. hah

when i started doing the HIIT stuff on the elliptical, i just googled different exercise routines to get me started. helped a bunch for me.

anyway, good luck to you!
  • BabasMama82
    BabasMama82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @ajravanos has your weight loss been all over your body or just your legs? I'm starting to get into the elliptical because it's low impact. I want to make sure I'm losing weight all over my body. I had a C-section so I have this belly that just won't leave :-(
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Except for seeing a surgeon, you can't spot reduce fat. So yes, if you lose weight (by shedding fat), it will come off evenly.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can't run, due to bad knees. In 2014, I cleaned up my intake dramatically, and I spent the first 6 months walking, the second 6 months on the elliptical and lifting weights. I'm down significantly since my start point. So yes, you can lose weight and gain fitness with the elliptical, but you also need to control your intake ... and weight lifting will help you build strength, and improve your appearance/shape.

My routine now is lifting 3x per week, elliptical 2x per week, hiking 1x per week.
    Full details can be found here.
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use(d) an elliptical to start off my weight loss journey and had great results, I lost about 50+lbs with elliptical workouts in combination with managing my intake. I used it for 30 minutes at first, then 45 after a month or so, then 1+ hours when I was ready to progress again. I then traded it for running and only use it now for XT days.
    After you use the elliptical for awhile it might help with your shin splits and you can start running again. I never could run without getting shin splits before I started using my elliptical regularly. (I think I was just in too poor of shape, my shins would ache after walking up a hill!) It also really helped me with endurance for running because when I started running I had that increased cardiovascular health from my elliptical workouts.

It took me less 5 or so months to lose 50ish pounds with the elliptical + diet. Hope this helps :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my go-to cardio exercise, with the stationary rowing machine in a supporting role.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on the elliptical since December 2014. I had an Achilles injury. Yes you can lose weight using this as your cardio. You can start as low as possible and work up to 15 levels and 15 inclines.

Get ready, because you will sweat your butt off.

35 to 40 minutes 4 times a week.

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I can burn the most calories in a 30 minute time period on the the elliptical machine. I tried the treadmill and the stationary bike and they didn't burn as much and I can only stand to be on a machine 30 minutes max or I get bored! So I do the elliptical machine every day I go to the gym and then every other day do strength training/weights along with it and the other days do 20 minutes on the treadmill at 3.50-4.00mph with incline. I only spend 50-60 minutes in the gym a day. I usually go every day but do take a day off once a week sometimes.

Find something you like is the best way to exercise and you'll continue to stick with it. I have bad knees, bone on bone on left knee and bad right knee and tried running on land and treadmill and couldn't do it due the knee issue. The elliptical machine works best. I was sore (hips mainly) when I first tried it and was weighing more and only did like 10 min max to start out at. I wear a Polar HRM to monitor my cal burns and hr too.
    Good luck!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight on the elliptical machine. I really can't remember the specifics, but it was at a time where I had too many overuse injuries from jogging/walking on the treadmill.

I would pedal/jog/whatever for about an hour a day on the elliptical. I don't have a HRM, so I don't know how many calories I actually burned, but at 30 years old, 150 pounds [not my acutal weight], 60 minutes, the calorie counter reading was about 800 calories.

When using the elliptical I made sure to not lean on the bars and to stay centered. I would focus on lifting my legs and pushing the pedals down because it's too easy to just get into the motion of kind of rocking side to side, letting your bodyweight do some of the work.

This is why I hate the elliptical. The machine doesn't help me keep a pace like the treadmill. If you really put in the effort, you get a good workout.

I personally like the treadmill better than the elliptical, but the elliptical is amazing for burning calories.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The elliptical is my go-to cardio exercise, with the stationary rowing machine in a supporting role.

Me too. When I go to the gym this is what I do.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time to warm my body up, It is certainly easier on the knees