HelP me stop eating sweets!

Options
Hey everyone! When it comes to my diet and exercise I've been doing pretty well. I eat clean for the most part and even if I can't make it to the gym I make sure I do yoga every morning. My one weakness however is sweets and I just so happen to work in a bakery. Everyone's advise to cut sweets is always "out of sight out of mind" but that's impossible for me and I just can't help myself. All day I pick at little bits of broken cookies and icing on pans. I know this is why I'm not reaching my weight loss goals. Any advise?

Replies

• robincleo
    robincleo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    chew gum at work?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a bakery too and was picking all day. I wasnt allowed to chew gum. I wasnt overweight either. I found all the running around up and down stairs kept my weight off. I know exactly how hard it is to stop picking at things though. The answer really is just stop. Throw those pans in the pan wash before you start picking and find somewhere to put those broken cookies out of reach as quickly as you can. It really is willpower.
  • vllamas08
    vllamas08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a hospital where we made gourmet food for the patients. it was so hard for me to turn away this sweets. in fact to this day I will skip a real meal so that I can have calories for my desserts. I'm a lost cause but I need to find help. I have fibromyalgia and working out is almost impossible unless I want to go into a flare. Which I don't. I'm receiving cortisone injections which they say doesn't affect your appetite but I tend to disagree. I feel like I'm out of control. I feel like I'm trying to eat when no one's looking. I've gained close to 20 pounds since last Christmas when my fibro started acting up. I am on new medications for it, steroid injections and then I had a partial hysterectomy over the summer. I think all of those factors play into my weight gain but I can't blame it all on that. I can't seem to get my appetite under control. I need help I'm desperate I don't like the way I look. I have a little role that hangs over the front of my pants and that alone embarrasses me. But does that keep me from eating bad food? NOPE. Is there anyone in the same boat as I am so that we can turn to each other for help several times during the day? Several times sounds like a lot and it is but I think that's what I need in order to get my crap together.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mouthwash. Every so often rinse with mouthwash. I hate the taste and can't stand anything tasting minty after brushing my teeth or using mouthwash. Might work :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You make the decision to reduce it or not. We can tell you, inspire you, urge you, etc., but the reality is that it's on you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The best advice I heard was just stop... it is a matter of you over this problem...

cookiecrumbles.jpg
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just stop doing it.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    log all the crumbs, each and every one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Stop doing it or accept you'll fail.

It's that simple.

sounds harsh, but, this!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food on MFP? That made a big difference to me. Once I got in the habit of recording everything--especially making sure I enter it before I actually eat it--I actually gained the ability to stop myself before subconsciously licking the frosting off my fingers (when unboxing messily-packaged cupcakes for an event) or sneaking some ice cream from the freezer when pulling out stuff to make dinner. It created a "stop and think" moment for me.

Also, a few days of logging in all the calories I was eating from this grazing was a HUGE eye opener. Makes it easier to hold off and then have room for, you know, an actual cup of ice cream. :)
  • IndyCarfan
    IndyCarfan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree to some extent it's a matter of will power. However, you could have some amino acid deficiencies that cause you to crave sweets. L-glutamine and/or DLPA could be very helpful. My life has completely changed for the better since I discovered Julia Ross (she wrote the Mood Cure and the Diet Cure) and starting taking supplements. I literally have no cravings anymore. Doesn't change your metabolism and you still have to do the work, but it's a lot easier than trying to "white knuckle it" through those cravings.
  • plumporcupine
    plumporcupine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Substitute out cookies, brownies, and chocolates with fruits, dates, granola, and things like that?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Hey everyone! When it comes to my diet and exercise I've been doing pretty well. I eat clean for the most part and even if I can't make it to the gym I make sure I do yoga every morning. My one weakness however is sweets and I just so happen to work in a bakery. Everyone's advise to cut sweets is always "out of sight out of mind" but that's impossible for me and I just can't help myself. All day I pick at little bits of broken cookies and icing on pans. I know this is why I'm not reaching my weight loss goals. Any advise?

That sounds unsanitary

Agreed. :sick:
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your boss has not gotten on your case about picking at frosting in pans, very unsanitary unless you are washing your hands each time you do this. Also, think of the broken cookies, etc as samples that your boss can put out to help get more business. You are eating the profits! So, just make it a rule. If you didn't bring it, you can't eat it. Simple as that. Then bring your health lunch and snacks.