Lifting vs cardio in myfitnesspal

Options
im a little confused.. I have a polar watch and it tells me my calories for my workout. I usually lift weights. Should I put this in the calculation? Even though it doesn't calculate with weight liftin. ? Should I put it under cardio? Where do I put in my weight lifting calories ? I am just starting out and I don't want to make a mistake.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A HRM calorie counter doesn't work for strength training / weight lifting. It's only likely to be reasonable for steady state cardio.
    It's really difficult to know true calories burned during weight lifting. If you use your HRM you are just using it to guess!

You can log estimated calorie burns under cardio section - look for strength training or circuit training.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    forget a hrm for lifting. they are best for steady state cardio and are only a guestimate for that
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM when I do lifting and log it. As sijomial says you can look for strength training in the exercise section and log it the way. You will find, though, that calories burned during strength training are much lower than cardio but you will be building a heck of a lot of strength,, burn fat and tone.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn for weight lifting won't be as much as cardio, and it isn't the point of weight lifting - in fact, in order to build muscles properly you shouldn't be looking for a calorie deficit, so with weight lifting pick different goals rather than calorie burn. Use your HRM for cardio and don't worry about how much you burn in weight lifting :D
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A HRM calorie counter doesn't work for strength training / weight lifting. It's only likely to be reasonable for steady state cardio.
    It's really difficult to know true calories burned during weight lifting. If you use your HRM you are just using it to guess!

You can log estimated calorie burns under cardio section - look for strength training or circuit training.

Agreed
  • summers90
    summers90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!