No Gym strength training at home?

Options
Hey everyone so I live in a very small area our closest gym is 4 hours away :( so i wanted to start strength training in hopes to tighten my belly as I have the center muscle in my abd stretched to the point of almost being in two where do i start?? is there a certain exercize i should do certain weights i should buy pls help thanks

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There are lots of bodyweight programmes you can do with little/no equipment. Check out You Are Your Own Gym.

If you wish to buy some equipment, some adjustable dumbbells are a good place to start as you don't need much space. This full body programme is a good starting point http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/zc0uy/a_beginner_dumbbell_program_the_dumbbell_stopgap

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Check out Neila Rey on YouTube. She has a channel with body weight workouts.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXe7DaqwzCQUkneU38FeUGg
  • LIZWRN
    LIZWRN Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    exrx.net is an amazing site.....on how to work all muscles and the different ways to do so. Also has demonstrations and assistance on how to make your exercise schedule....good luck
  • donlou33
    Options
    Hi Soontobeslim, I also had diastasis recti (roughly 4 finger spaces gap between my muscles) I'd seen programmes like MuTu, specifically for this problem but couldn't afford to buy them so I looked around online.
    I can't remember all of the exercises but I remember religiously doing the 'cat vomit' exercise over and over (you'll find with google). I also found a workout for post natal mums especially for this area - there's lots online. Be careful not to put unnecessary pressure there as you can do more damage, so absolutely no crunches, sit ups etc. I'd recommend wearing something tight to support your abs at first - I used an elasticated wrap.
    Once my muscle gap had shrunk to less that 3 finger widths I began using kettle bells. I also couldn't get to classes so studied youtube and trainers to learn the correct technique - this is very very important.
    Almost every exercise engages the abs - start gentle and slow and build from there.
    I managed to close my muscles almost completely - less than one finger gap.

- Have you seen a Dr about the gap? The reason I ask is because sometimes if it's too far apart then exercising can't help it and surgery is the only option.

• soontobeslim2015
    Options
    the last dr i saw about it said it had seperated not sure how to tell how big a gap when i do any movement you can see it very plainly like a 2lt pop bottle sticking out frrom my stomach :(
  • donlou33
    Options
    There's videos on youtube to show you exactly how to measure but basically you lie flat on your back with one hand behind your head - relax - engage the muscles as best as possible and lift your head slightly off the floor - with your free hand, a little above the tummy button, use your fingers (tips pointing towards your button) you will feel the space - how many fingers fit there?
  • sp940
    sp940 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BodyRock.tv is another great site where the instructors do a lot of bodyweight/at home workouts. They even give you alternatives if you're not at the point of doing what they are. I believe there is a couple of videos specifically on diastasis recti issues after pregnancy.
  • soontobeslim2015
    Options
    Thanks i had been doing the crunches and sit ups but have really found that area in my stomach hurt will check out those videos :)
  • donlou33
    Options
    Just a heads up - when you see what exercises you have to start with don't be shocked. (my actual words were -' WTF is that going to do?' ) The exercises seem very gentle (similar to those recommended in the early days of post natal recovery) but if done properly VERY effective.
    - No crunches or sit ups involved as they make it worse. Like I said above - it wasn't long until I could use my kettlebells to help strengthen my abs.
    Good luck
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    If you're willing to spend a bit of money ($200 ish), get yourself a TRX system. Youtube or Google it. It may not seem like much but holy cow is it challenging. Great for small spaces, travels easily, etc.
  • soontobeslim2015
    Options
    Thanks Just seeing these replies lol I have stopped crunches and sit ups to much pain where the muscle is seperated waiting to see dr to see what I should do :)
  • bskeletor
    bskeletor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try doing some compound movements such as lunges, push ups, and pull ups. Most people have a difficult time with these exercises at first but if you modify or add resistance bands you can get a great workout to help with the mid section. Great news is diet is the key to a flatter stomach. By combining these types of movements and being very focused on your diet you will see a major difference. Good luck and never give up.