What is really high in fiber?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I am trying to cut out bread as it makes me feel sick, but am struggling to reach my fiber target. I am taking psyllium husks, and eat masses of salad and vegetables, but they don't seem to add up to much.

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    raspberries
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    red kidney beans, drained and washed
    not everyone likes them but I can just about manage a whole 400g tin if i need a little extra help
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    benefiber in your water ftw!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    blackberries and those Cuties (clementine oranges)
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Avocado! :)
  • jmessgirl
    jmessgirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. Yumm. :smile:
  • drenal
    drenal Posts: 2
    Options
    Invisifiber has been incredible! Its a powder with absolutely NO taste. Its put out by Nutrilite - you gotta find a rep to get it from, but my wife and I have been using it and its awesome.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Cooked artichoke, beans (lima, black, lentils) and split peas.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Not sure if the bread issue applies to these items, but chickpeas, oatmeal have a lot of fiber.
    Sounds like you have the produce in your diet already. I don't peel apples, etc. so there's more fiber there than without...

ETA: Popcorn!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Looking through my diary, these are the things that make up most of my fibre:-
    - bran flakes or fruit and fibre breakfast cereal
    - bananas, apples (and one day a melon and grape mix, probably the grapes)
    - dried raisens
    - some vegetables - aubergine, carrots, broccoli, avocado

as well as that
    - dates, prunes - as juice, mixed in with yoghurt, or dried/fresh
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All bran buds ( i put them in my yogurt), popcorn, fiber plus bars, high fiber oatmeal. Feel free to check out my food diary for ideas, I log my fiber.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, oatmeal [not a bread, per se], even nuts. Juggle 'em around to see what you like. :tongue:
  • ShakenWithJoy
    Options
    I add Arbonne Fibre boost to my morning protein shake. Gives me 12g of soluable fiber per scoop.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Some of my cereals do like Special K Protein Plus and Kashi, as well as oatmeal. Blackberries are good for fiber too.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Here are high fiber foods that are low carb and contain fiber, with their fiber counts: 1 medium artichoke - 6.5g 1/2 cup asparagus - 1g 1/2 cup broccoli - 2.2g 1/2 cup brussels sprouts - 2.3g 1/2 cup cauliflower - 1.1g 1/2 cup celery - 1.1g 1/2 cup kale - 3.6g 1/2 cup spinach - 2.1g 1/2 cup winter squash - 2.9g 1/2 cup zucchini - 1.8g 1/2 cup blueberries - 1.7g 1/2 cup strawberries - 1.6g 1/2 cup raspberries - 4.2g 1 slice rye bread - 1.9g 1 slice multigrain bread - 1.7g Here is a partial list from a computer website, but you have to take into account fats and calories too 10 almonds - 1.1g 10 peanuts- 1.4g

Posted by my auntie.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Blackbeans & Quinoa!
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Options
    I eat GG Bran Crispbread. Each cracker has 5 g of fiber and only 12 calories. I eat 5 each morning, usually dunk them in my tea. You can also use them as a bread replacement. I've tried BeneFiber, Fiber One bars et al but, those products made me gassy. The GG Bran Crispbread crackers do not make me bloated or gassy. They have them in stores or you can buy them online.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Looking through my diary, these are the things that make up most of my fibre:-
    - bran flakes or fruit and fibre breakfast cereal
    - bananas, apples (and one day a melon and grape mix, probably the grapes)
    - dried raisens
    - some vegetables - aubergine, carrots, broccoli, avocado

as well as that
    - dates, prunes - as juice, mixed in with yoghurt, or dried/fresh

Completely agree with this............................

There is no need to supplement if you're eating plenty of fruit and veg!!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    dense veggies and fruit, high fiber cereal (fiber one yogurt berry-omg delicious), clear fiber supplements to add to water (still contain calories, though, so make sure to log), but seriously, fiber one cereals typically have 10-14 grams per serving and many taste awesome :) you can add clear dissolvable fiber to almost anything- pasta sauce, dressing, etc. Make sure you drink enough water with fiber!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Prunes!

I'm going to try to make some Nut Butter Balls this weekend using peanut butter, flax meal, honey and cocoa to add to my fiber intake. I really like these Sami's Bakery Millet and Flax chips (found them at a health store). One serving has 8 grams of fiber but also has something like 15g. carbs (not bad but I'm trying to limit my carb intake) so I'm hoping making these balls will be a good substitute.