Toilet problems

Options
Sorry about bringing this up its a bit icky.

As from my post before I'm in the middle of week three, I also wondered why I fluctuate so much. I think I found the culprit for yesterday's dismal weight loss and that's the excess salt from Sunday and Monday as I'd lost half a pound since yesterday.

Another issue is my toilet habits, I do have IBS and my solids are much better in texture but I go days without going for a number 2. I don't want to bother my doctor yet but how long did it take to adjust to your new diets and toilet normally.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    depends what is normal for you .. if this isn't normal then I would make sure my water intake and my exercise levels were appropriate .. and I'd switch out sugar monitoring and replace with fibre monitoring

but I don't have IBS so you really should check with your med team
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    this is the thing about weighing all the time and being so fixated on the scales being the only way of tracking your progress...

as rabbit says, if you have IBS, you just need to figure out whats 'normal' for you...

your weight WILL fluctuate, there WILL be weeks when you DONT lose weight even though you've done everything right... stop letting it rule how you feel... maybe try setting some fitness goals so you're not only focused on your weight.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had IBS - it's largely gone though, due to the weight loss. But I've still got a whole heap of growths pulling my bowel about as I have stage three endometriosis and this makes my toilet needs very different to other people's.
    Anyway, I don't think you should be going days and days without doing a number 2. Every other day I could happily accept. If it's less frequent than that I'd really be wondering if you're eating enough and if you're getting enough fibre. Just adding a couple of prunes into your porridge or snacking on a couple of dried apricots every day could make the difference.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    So glad you asked this queestion! I am on week 3 of MFP and been pretty constipated too. I had to take (natural) laxitive tablets one day but don't want this to be a habbit. I have tried adding in more greens to my diet as I have been pretty guilty of not eating enough fruit/veg. I am also monitoring my fibre intake now. I am struggling to hit it but i am usually only 3-5g under target so I don't think it is that bad. I am giving myself until mid next week before going to the doctors.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this queestion! I am on week 3 of MFP and been pretty constipated too. I had to take (natural) laxitive tablets one day but don't want this to be a habbit. I have tried adding in more greens to my diet as I have been pretty guilty of not eating enough fruit/veg. I am also monitoring my fibre intake now. I am struggling to hit it but i am usually only 3-5g under target so I don't think it is that bad. I am giving myself until mid next week before going to the doctors.

make sure you're getting enough fibre, but also enough fat each day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    raspberries have lovely lots of fibre in them .. delicious as a munchy snack
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options

make sure you're getting enough fibre, but also enough fat each day.

I am usually above my fat target....in every sense ;)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hahahahaha oh IBS. Plus and minus eight pounds in eight hours? Sure! Makes Shark Week fluctuations looks like child's play. Keeping track of trends is *really* important for me. Sometimes I wonder what I "actually" weigh.

As far as the constipation goes, here are the things I would look at first:
    -are you drinking enough water?
    -eating enough fat? gotta grease the tubes :) (This makes a HUGE difference for me! Go go gadget 1/4-1/2 cup of almonds a day!)
    -what about raw veggies?
    -if you are backed up enough, sometimes it really does take an, um, blowout to reset your intestines and give you a fresh start. (I have switch-hitting IBS, and I have found it is *vital* not to let myself go more than 2 days without moving things, otherwise it's like trying to poop superglue. My doctor has actually assigned me a colonoscopy prep routine before and even that didn't work completely. So yeah. Hit it early.)

A lot of people find that their IBS rises and falls, or switches types, based on stress levels. Maybe your new eating patterns are affecting you that way, too?
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have IBS also, and after years of struggling my gastrointerologist finally recommended going gluten free ( I had a host of other symptoms that pointed to an intolerance also). Since then (almost two years ago) I rarely have IBS flare ups. BUT: this is something I would strongly recommend you discussing with your doctor before radically changing your diet. And I really feel water consumption could be a huge culprit to your constipation.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Fiber one (original) for breakfast every day may help. Very low in calories (I eat it with almond milk)
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have that trouble at times. If I've gone too long I will drink an herbal tea that usually helps get things going. It's best to drink before bed and it works the next morning. This morning I drank a morning detox consisting of 1C of water with 1Tbsp of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. You can add honey if you wish. When I got back from my run, I was able to go without the cramping the tea causes me.
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and my doctor told me that it is alright for me to take Docusate Sodium every day to help with it. It is over the counter so hopefully it will be helpful to you too.

I am sure that since you have IBS that you probably already know this but for the others that have mentioned fiber. An interesting thing about IBS-C is that eating more fiber can actually make things worse. :s
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply.

My IBS is triggered by stress and hard fibre such as apples, brown bread etc give my cramps and send me to the loo within minutes so it's a tricky one. However, my diet before was fat laden so maybe the drop in fat has triggered it. I have around 50g of fat a day.

I'm going to take a trip the doctors then go from there but glad I'm not the only one. I went tonight and did struggle to pass a small stool which was better than pre diet.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have ibs too, and I have gone from several urgent liquid bm's a day to a more regular solid schedule.

So far, an unanticipated benefit.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have ibs too, and I have gone from several urgent liquid bm's a day to a more regular solid schedule.

So far, an unanticipated benefit.

I've only had a couple of rushed liquid stools since starting my diet, now they are solid but not very often so maybe I'm changing slowly.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have ibs colitis and the one thing I do to keep it under control is take a magnesium supplement called natural calm, if taken at night it gets things of the way by morning if u know what I mean. Then during the day you don't have to worry about flare ups or attacks.