Couple more ???'s for Runners

Options
I am newer to running (have only done a couple 5k's, but will be doing a 10k and a half this summer). I run 4 days a week right now. Saturday's my longer run day (only up to 4-6 miles at this point). I do yoga on the off days (though looking to start weights soon - that was whole other thread).

So here are the questions. Does anyone run everyday (or 6 days a week)? If so, how long do you run each day? Will this help me with my running (speed, distance, etc.)? Just looking to improve, as I love running and I love the races (so far - haven't done the half yet. haha)

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In the beginning, the absolute #1 best thing you can do is to run more. That alone will make you faster, as well as increase your endurance. The key, of course, is to increase mileage slooooowly (much more slowly than your aerobic system could probably handle) to avoid stress fractures, tendinitis, etc. 10% increase per week is the number usually thrown around, but that's kind of hard in the beginning. (If you're running 4 miles a week, 10% of 4 miles...etc.)

As for number of runs per week, it is basically up to the runner. The FIRST training plan for marathon/half marathon has you only running 3x/week, but doing cardio cross training (bike, swim, etc) on other days. Most plans go 4-6 days. I guess a few people run all 7, but *generally* you want to take at least one day off for recovery and rebuilding. Much like strength training, you don't actually gain fitness while running--the physical adaptations happen in between runs.

We talked about rest days in the Distance Runners group and pretty much everyone has a different strategy--yoga, easy swim, sit on the couch, etc.

I'm currently running 5 days/week; looking to make it 6 for marathon training. I followed FIRST (3 days/wk) last time and while I got a LOT faster--it has lots of speedwork--I did not have the endurance I wanted for the last few miles of the race. I want more mileage this time.

Definitely look into training plans, even if the race is far away. They can help give you an idea how to structure your week and individual runs! :)
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I run 5-6 days per week and also do Stronglifts 5x5 twice per week. Like you, I am fairly new to running and have some 5K and 10K races under my belt with plans to do my first half in May. My schedule is:

Monday: Easy run (currently 4-5 miles)
    Tuesday: Cycling (using bike trainer) & yoga/stretching
    Wednesday: Speed run (also 4-5 miles)
    Thursday: Stronglifts with 1-1.5 mile warm up and cool down runs (total 2-3 miles, and I usually sprint on the treadmill for those)
    Friday: Active recovery (usually swimming, but occasionally walking)
    Saturday: Long run (5-7 miles but do up to 10-13 if weather cooperates)
    Sunday: Stronglifts with same treadmill running as Thursday

I designate 3 days to only running and try to incorporate some speed work into my lifting days. This seems to help me slowly increase my total weekly mileage while still allowing time to do other workouts I enjoy. If you are considering lifting weights, be careful to not plan a long run or speed work immediately following a lifting day.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've run a few 5ks and a 15k with a half on the docket for the end of March.

My schedule is usually something like:
    Sunday: Yoga or rest
    Monday: Short run (3-4 miles)
    Tuesday: Strength training (usually with 8-minute cardio blast on treadmill)
    Wednesday: Rest (not totally my choice, job-related)
    Thursday: Short run (3-4 miles)
    Friday: Strength training or short run
    Saturday: Long run (5-10 miles)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any marathons. But I run regularly, 3x per week. 4 is the most I've done and it's hard. I need a day of recovery. When deep into 1/2 training or just being consistent, I try to run 20-30 miles per week. I've incorporated intervals into my training and have made huge speed gains.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I did 5 days pw on a 10K performance plan and found my fatigue levels awere higher and I became a bit more prone to injury. I'm now on four running days pw in marathon training. There is no right answer, as it's a combination of days/ distances and intensity.

For me, at the moment:
    Sunday - Easy paced road ride as recovery from my long run
    Monday - Short, easy, recovery run - 6 to 8 miles plus bodyweight work
    Tuesday - Midweek long of 10 to 14 miles or speed session of 6 to 8
    Wednesday - Work induced rest day so just commute cycling
    Thursday - Subject to work, possibly a short ride or turbo session
    Friday - Short, easy 6 to 8 plus bodyweight
    Saturday - LSD of 11 to 20 miles
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, the absolute #1 best thing you can do is to run more. That alone will make you faster, as well as increase your endurance. The key, of course, is to increase mileage slooooowly (much more slowly than your aerobic system could probably handle) to avoid stress fractures, tendinitis, etc. 10% increase per week is the number usually thrown around, but that's kind of hard in the beginning. (If you're running 4 miles a week, 10% of 4 miles...etc.)

As for number of runs per week, it is basically up to the runner. The FIRST training plan for marathon/half marathon has you only running 3x/week, but doing cardio cross training (bike, swim, etc) on other days. Most plans go 4-6 days. I guess a few people run all 7, but *generally* you want to take at least one day off for recovery and rebuilding. Much like strength training, you don't actually gain fitness while running--the physical adaptations happen in between runs.

We talked about rest days in the Distance Runners group and pretty much everyone has a different strategy--yoga, easy swim, sit on the couch, etc.

I'm currently running 5 days/week; looking to make it 6 for marathon training. I followed FIRST (3 days/wk) last time and while I got a LOT faster--it has lots of speedwork--I did not have the endurance I wanted for the last few miles of the race. I want more mileage this time.

Definitely look into training plans, even if the race is far away. They can help give you an idea how to structure your week and individual runs! :)

So much win in this response right here.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I run 6 days in marathon training, 5 days outside of that is typical for me. There's no issues specific to the number of days you do, it's more how you get there and what you do on those days.

By 'how' I simply mean don't jump from 3 days a week to 6. Build up gradually, give yourself time to adjust.

As you then increase running frequency, taking out rest days in effect, I am a fan of alternating hard runs with easy runs. I don't like to put two hard runs together on subsequent days. The easy days are about getting mileage on the legs, the hard days are specifically targeting a goal.

Example:

Sunday - Long Slow Run [this is a hard workout, targeting distance]
    Monday - Easy pace. 30-45 mins
    Tuesday - Fartlek -or- Threshold -or- Hill sprints [hard workout, short but intense]
    Wednesday - Easy pace 30-40mins
    Thursday - Intervals [hard workout, short but intense]
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - easy pace, 30-60 mins

By easy pace, I mean conversational pace, if you are using a HRM you'll probably be in the 70-78% of max (60%-70% of working heart range)
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the answers! Really appreciate all the feed back.