Stop Smoking and Gaining Weight

I lost 50 lbs and felt great. Stop using MFP and was still keeping the weight off. I stopped smoking and have started putting on weight. Started up with MFP and I'm very strict with sticking to my calories but have have put on another 2 lbs. Arrrgh. Suggestions... Thanks for listening

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If you just came back within the past two weeks, I wouldn't worry, as weight loss isn't linear. If it's been longer, then you need to take a look at your logging and make sure you're being accurate (i.e. Logging every item you eat, using a food scale).
  • hurricaneemly
    hurricaneemly Posts: 23 Member
    I used to smoke and after I quit, gained quite a bit of weight without really noticing. 50 pounds later, it's certainly caught my attention. Not sure how recently you quit, but I know that for me, food was my outlet and coping mechanism for the cravings. Once I realized what I was doing, I learned to find something constructive to replace the cravings, i.e. drinking water or walking.

Good luck! It's not fun quitting, but you should be proud and congratulate for quitting!
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    I feel your pain, I tried to quit four times in 2014. Started back twice just because of the weight. But when the fourth time came and that scale started creeping up I said to heck with it, I can always lose weight but when was I going to quit smoking if I didn't do it now? Ten pounds(gained) and nine and a half months later I'm smoke free. Part of the weight gain is us grabbing a snack instead of that ciggy, another part is the poison leaving our bodies, and our hearts slowing down. Just try to acquire some healthier habits, take walks, eat more veggies, and remember, in the long run your body will adjust. Quitting smoking is worth it.
  • nogrows
    nogrows Posts: 56 Member
    Wait for a few weeks for your metabolism to catch up. Cigarettes have an influence on your metabolism. Try to eat chewing gum when you crave a cigarette. I stopped smoking 38 weeks ago and reversed the weight gain into weight loss. But remember quitting smoking was the best decision you ever made!!!! Keep up!
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    nogrows wrote: »
    Wait for a few weeks for your metabolism to catch up. Cigarettes have an influence on your metabolism. Try to eat chewing gum when you crave a cigarette. I stopped smoking 38 weeks ago and reversed the weight gain into weight loss. But remember quitting smoking was the best decision you ever made!!!! Keep up!

That's awesome, congrats on both of your achievements...thanks for the pep talk
  • jquarequio
    jke78 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, I tried to quit four times in 2014. Started back twice just because of the weight. But when the fourth time came and that scale started creeping up I said to heck with it, I can always lose weight but when was I going to quit smoking if I didn't do it now? Ten pounds(gained) and nine and a half months later I'm smoke free. Part of the weight gain is us grabbing a snack instead of that ciggy, another part is the poison leaving our bodies, and our hearts slowing down. Just try to acquire some healthier habits, take walks, eat more veggies, and remember, in the long run your body will adjust. Quitting smoking is worth it.
    Congrats on quitting and thanks for the encouragement
  • jquarequio
    nogrows wrote: »
    Thats excellent..and thanks for the push
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    It takes longer than two weeks. Are you weighing your food?
  • jquarequio
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It takes longer than two weeks. Are you weighing your food?
    No I have been eyeballing it. Should try weighing . Thanks for the suggestion