Weight Gain Despite Dieting & Exercising.

Options
Hi all!

I've been trying to loose weight, and so have been cutting back diet wise and stepping up my exercise quite considerably.

Each day I do housework, then after work I do a 30 minute Rosemary Conley weight loss dvd and then finish by doing a 30 minute Jillian Michaels Shred With Kettlebells DVD (I use a 3KG kettlebell).

Somehow, I put ON a pound in two days! what the heck is going on? I'm quite overweight (122.9kg) so there really should be no reason why I'm not loosing weight!

So far I've been in tears and despite my healthy and positive attitude to dieting and exercise, I'm terrified I'm going to be fat forever.

Would really appreciate some advice please?

Holly xx

Replies

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    A pound in two days is likely just water weight. It happens whether you are trying to lose weight or not, you just likely wouldn't notice it if you weren't watching the scale like you are now.

How long have yo been trying to lose weight? It takes longer than a couple days or a couple weeks. Remember that it took a while to put it all on and if you want it to stay off it will take a while to come off. Make sure that you are accurately logging everything. No eyeballing, no assuming portions, try to use a food scale, especially if the food is calorically dense (as being off even a little bit can make a big impact).

Good luck!
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons why you might weigh a pound heavier, and you must not let it destroy your serious inroads into health and weight loss. You might be a little constipated, you might be coming up for a period, you might be retaining water, you might have been really really hungry the day before and had to eat a lot more that hasn't yet passed through. Your scales might not be on a completely flat surface.
    I don't have objections to a daily or even twice daily weigh as I think it teaches you -over a long period of time, exactly what happens when you toilet, when you have a period, when you go to the restaurant. My weight fluctuation is 3 lb between morning and evening and it used to be more when I ate more when I was bigger.
    Your recorded weight should be once a week in the morning naked weigh and probably not at the weekend or Monday morning if you let yourself off at the weekend.
  • terraeacoe
    Options
    Your weight will go up and down. I've been working out and eating better for a month. I haven't lost a pound, but I notice my face getting smaller, my legs and thighs are tighter, clothes are fitting better and I've found more energy.

Although weight can be important, there are other ways to see progress. Muscle weighs more than fat. You could be gaining muscle which will burn the fat.

It could be water weight if you significantly increased water intake.

Stick to it. You'll see results in due time.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    My best advice to you is, make sure you weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Weight loss comes mostly from eating at a calorie deficit. MFP is a fantastic tool for this. I lost 90 pounds before I even began to walk more. If you have no existing health conditions, this should work. If you are definitely eating less than you burn, maybe it would help to consult with a health care professional. Best of luck to you! Please know, that if I can do this, most anyone can!
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. The thing that I have noticed that helps me (not suggesting it, just saying it works for me ) is if i indulge a little. If I want pizza I have a larger slice in stead of a smaller one. It seems to give my body a boost. The next day I get on the scale and I'm down like 3 pounds.
    Sometimes you just need and small tweak once in a while.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I haven't been logging my diet on MFP - which is a bit stupid, so I've started today for the first time in ages and was pretty surprised by my calorie intake - it's a lot higher than I expected - even so, last year I lost 1 stone and a half, but put on 5lbs over Christmas, so I've been dieting etc for about 3 weeks - I'm not interested in seeing half a stone come off straight away but progressing in the right direction was all I was looking for - certainly not a gain!

Fingers crossed I do better in future and this was just a blip

xx
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP just because I wanted to know how much I was eating. I never did figure out how much I was eating before I started because the act of logging my calories resulted in my reducing my consumption.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, your post was very precise and specific about your exercise routine, but vague about your food intake. The eating part matters more than the exercise part if your concern is strictly weight loss.

Forgive me if you've already done this, but use this site (or another) to get an estimate of how many calories you need to eat in order to lose at a reasonable (2 lb per week) rate. Then log everything you eat in the food diary and try to hit that calorie goal everyday.

Edit: spelling
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I haven't been logging my diet on MFP - which is a bit stupid, so I've started today for the first time in ages and was pretty surprised by my calorie intake - it's a lot higher than I expected - even so, last year I lost 1 stone and a half, but put on 5lbs over Christmas, so I've been dieting etc for about 3 weeks - I'm not interested in seeing half a stone come off straight away but progressing in the right direction was all I was looking for - certainly not a gain!

Fingers crossed I do better in future and this was just a blip

xx

I was shocked by this. I learned a few years ago that whenever I couldn't understand recent gradual weight gain I would actually measure my portions. Usually coffee creamer (because I did notice as I drank more coffee...and as that coffee got sweeter, weight would come on), I would assume I was having 1-1.5Tb of the stuff. I actually measured out 1Tb and took a sip....it tasted nothing like how I normally take it. So I measured another....and kept going...I was having closer to 3Tb, which isn't terrible but some days I drank 3 cups. That is 9Tb of the stuff at 35cal each (not including the milk I put in) so when I thought I was drinking 250-300cal in coffee a day it was closer to 500. And that was just my coffee! Just being aware of my portions would help so much.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well if you're weighing yourself constantly (like every day or two days) you're going to see erratic results. The human body fluctuates weight throughout the day due to various factors, the most obvious ones are water weight and food that hasn't passed through yet.

It's usually best to stick to weighing yourself once a week, but even then sometimes the scale won't give you a break. I haven't seen much progress weight wise in the past two weeks and have even seen the scale go up a bit but my inches are going down still so that's always a good sign.

Just keep trudging through. It's when you can get through moments like this and say "nope, still not gonna quit" that your true commitment to the (frustrating and difficult) process of losing weight shows through.

Good luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    1 lb overnight is probably just water weight from something higher in sodium that you ate. Drink lots of water to flush it through.

I would suggest being more diligent about tracking... You say that you have been 'dieting', but do you know how many calories you consumed over the last 3 weeks? It's really easy to underestimate if you are writing everything down.