Allowing Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    IMO you can have a bagel and a donut and wine, just not 3 bagels, half a dozen donuts, and a bottle of wine because calories. If you have the self control to keep those things within your calorie budget, go ahead and have them.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't view it as cheating. The only person I'd be cheating is me and since I choose to indulge when I indulge, it's not cheating - it's overeating.

I don't really schedule indulgences. I take them when necessary. If I'm at a birthday party, I may have a bit of cake. If I'm in an amusement park, I will eat park food (but usually take my own!) it's kind of just when it pops up, but not every single time it pops up.

It's really a personal choice. I chose to change my eating habits, so I don't really feel this burning desire to have donuts and stuff. It was hard at first, but is not a big deal now. I cleaned it up and am now perfecting it. Now I struggle with protein and micros, not resisting ice cream. :)

Start giving some thought to how you're going to live and eat after you lose the weight and begin practicing that now. That's my advice. :)
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! If you log everything, you will realize how bad cheat days and cheat meals are! One weeks calorie deficits (to lose weight) can disappear in one cheat meal a week.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a cheat treat day and it works fine for me. :) But when I cheat treat, it's usually just me splurging and having my favorite meal at a restaurant once a week. One bad meal doesn't trigger me to eat badly, but that's just me.

Edit: I LOVE that someone called it a treat day. Much better. :D
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I went to sunday brunch and had 5 yes 5 glasses of champagne. Had crab legs etc but stayed within my calories. Like everyone says it's a numbers game. Just keep your calories under your goal. However I'm on 1720 Cal a day so a little easier for me
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    mweh, I'll admit it. sometimes I get together with my friends and we drink, and we have some snacks, and we drink some more. and then there may be more snacks later. While I'm diligent most of the time, I don't beat myself up if I'm not instantly logging, or even remembering my intake on occasion. gasp! Maybe once a month it happens. I will get in extra exercise beforehand and there's usually some dancing going on. Most of the time, I'm happy in my designated driver role, sipping water. but sometimes I just wanna not be a calorie counter for a few hours. the trick is to get right back to it the next morning.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OP - find the threads about "banking" on here. It's easy to track a balance across days if you do it manually.
  • UnikittyRocks
    UnikittyRocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im
    kheinl wrote: »
    I went to sunday brunch and had 5 yes 5 glasses of champagne. Had crab legs etc but stayed within my calories. Like everyone says it's a numbers game. Just keep your calories under your goal. However I'm on 1720 Cal a day so a little easier for me
    OP - find the threads about "banking" on here. It's easy to track a balance across days if you do it manually.

Thank you so much for the link!! This will help me a lot!
  • UnikittyRocks
    Options
    mweh, I'll admit it. sometimes I get together with my friends and we drink, and we have some snacks, and we drink some more. and then there may be more snacks later. While I'm diligent most of the time, I don't beat myself up if I'm not instantly logging, or even remembering my intake on occasion. gasp! Maybe once a month it happens. I will get in extra exercise beforehand and there's usually some dancing going on. Most of the time, I'm happy in my designated driver role, sipping water. but sometimes I just wanna not be a calorie counter for a few hours. the trick is to get right back to it the next morning.

I relate to your laid-back approach. Glad to know I can build-in some flexibility. Thanks!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    There are times I eat at maintenance calories, but I don't know if that counts as a cheat, especially if I'm still under my weekly deficit. I mostly just try to work the things I want into my daily calorie goals.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I allow myself an 'off plan day' once a month when I'm on my period. It's what I call "I have cramps and I don't care what I eat today" day. Sometimes I log it, sometimes I don't.

When I first started I didn't allow myself any treats for the first few months because I didn't trust myself enough to think I could stop after one day or one meal. Now I know I can go off plan and jump right back on the next day.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Having a cheat day works very well for me. My personal trainer recommended for 2 reasons 1) you'll eat better the other 6 weeks knowing you can cheat one day and 2) after eating well for 6 days and then eating junk you'll feel crappy and want healthy food. Personally, I don't cheat the entire day - just one meal on my cheat day.
  • lgriffithschall
    lgriffithschall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I define cheat days (for me) as holidays or special occasions, like State Fair. I would be utterly miserable if I tried to keep to a strict moderation like I normally do, so I don't worry about it. The thing is, after logging and watching my calories for a long time, I find it takes less to satisfy me, so it's rare that I'm horribly over for the day. When it happens, I log it, shrug and move to the next day. Everyone has off days and as long as it's not a regular occurance, don't worry about it.

This^ For me learning that making a not-so healthy choice on occaision isn't going to undo all the progress I've made as long as I pick up the pieces the very next day has been the secret to my success. We can't go haywire all the time, but a day with a hamburger, greasy fries, chocolate covered pretzels, and two 32 oz Dr. Peppers (or insert your favorite thing here) every three or four weeks isn't going to cause weight gain if we're honestly logging and eating at a deficit at most all other times. Balance, moderation, and most of all persistence.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't do it! If you log everything, you will realize how bad cheat days and cheat meals are! One weeks calorie deficits (to lose weight) can disappear in one cheat meal a week.

I log everything my last cheat day I went over 281 calories. It didn't even close to eat up my deficit for the week. I suggest you log it so if you do go overboard you can adjust if you try it next time.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have a few special days planned. My husband's birthday tomorrow, Valentine's dinner out, my birthday in March.
  • sazzyb_
    sazzyb_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always go for cheat meal instead of a cheat day, planned well in advance of course. And a bit of damage limitation is always good. For example, I'm getting some exam results tomorrow (eek!!) so plan to go out for dinner and drinks with friends in the evening. I'll still get up and do my morning gym, have a healthy breakfast/lunch and snacks and then just enjoy my evening cheat meal with a few glasses of wine (tracking it all in MFP of course).

I find planning them in advance really helps and stops you going off the wagon in the week running up to it. It may sound sad but I even put them in my calendar!

I'd say a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks is ideal as it won't limit your progress too much and it's still never too far away to look forward too.

28809885.png
  • UnikittyRocks
    Options
    sazzyb_ wrote: »
    I always go for cheat meal instead of a cheat day, planned well in advance of course. And a bit of damage limitation is always good. For example, I'm getting some exam results tomorrow (eek!!) so plan to go out for dinner and drinks with friends in the evening. I'll still get up and do my morning gym, have a healthy breakfast/lunch and snacks and then just enjoy my evening cheat meal with a few glasses of wine (tracking it all in MFP of course).

I find planning them in advance really helps and stops you going off the wagon in the week running up to it. It may sound sad but I even put them in my calendar!

I'd say a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks is ideal as it won't limit your progress too much and it's still never too far away to look forward too.

28809885.png

Wow, congrats on the 14 lbs! I can't wait to be able to say that!! Thanks for the tips.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I started this over 2 years ago I logged *everything* for around 9 months, and got the worst of my weight off. Even if I went way over, that was fine as long as the week averaged out ok.

But now I do have days when I don't log, eg weekends, or even weeks - eg summer, hols, Xmas etc. But that is a lot easier to get your head around when you only have a few kgs to lose and are in decent shape. I'd always advise newbies to log everything until they get some serious results as well as clearer understanding of what does and doesn't work for them.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    high calorie days once in a while are normal

i know on valentines day i wont be caring about my food...you will find me in my cave surrounded by candy ,chips and tears
  • UnikittyRocks
    Options
    When I started this over 2 years ago I logged *everything* for around 9 months, and got the worst of my weight off. Even if I went way over, that was fine as long as the week averaged out ok.

But now I do have days when I don't log, eg weekends, or even weeks - eg summer, hols, Xmas etc. But that is a lot easier to get your head around when you only have a few kgs to lose and are in decent shape. I'd always advise newbies to log everything until they get some serious results as well as clearer understanding of what does and doesn't work for them.

That is a good tip. I am logging everything now. Tomorrow will start my 2nd week and I'll be doing it properly now that I've got a better idea of how it all works. I am looking forward to results -already down 1.6lbs! Thank you for the advice