Figuring Out Working Out

Options
I have access to a fitness center at work - for free!! There are treadmills (that's not for me just because I enjoy walking outside), elliptical machines, spinning things (oh I don't know, short stationary bikes or what have you), weight machines, kettle balls.......stuff like that.
-
I REALLY want to go a couple of times a week even though I would have to go alone. I think I could push through that if I wasn't so afraid of looking like a total nerd because of my lack of knowing what to do once I get there. I have no earthly idea what to do and I still haven't made it through the door for more than a peek. Right now I think I interested in starting strength training. Walking every other day for cardio (right?).

I googled strength training for beginners (I'm not sure if posting the link is allowed so I won't). If anyone is knowledgeable and willing to give me tips, hints, direction, words of warning, and of course, words of encouragement, I would really appreciate it. I am not in a position to pay for a personal trainer right now so the best I can do is figure it out - which is better than sitting around on the couch with the remote taped to a weight.

Whatcha got?

Replies

• youngfart
    youngfart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, now. At least you know no one will know you look like a nerd, since you'll be going alone. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/25/the-20-second-challenge/
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 years working in my current job to get over my anxiety and stick my head in the gym in my office building. Good for you for taking the first peek inside!

I can't give you advice on a type of program (although youtube is full of beginner kettleball workouts!), but as a starting point is there anyone you know at your work who is a regular in the gym? They might be able to give you a tour of the equipment so you can at least get your head around the different machines?

oh, and IMO, there is never anything wrong with looking like a total nerd; I hear that's totally in right now ;)
  • Philstab
    Philstab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CindyVer2015, I would recommend investing in a personal trainer for a couple of sessions first, but since you are not wanting to, the easiest thing could be to start of with simple body weight exercises (easy enough to google this), and then once comfortable with doing so, add your weights (dumbbells are easy enough to add on).

You could start of with basic exercises like:
    Squats, lunges, bicep curls, tricep curls, sit ups, leg raises.

Maybe start off with light weights, such as 2-3kg dumbbells in your hands for bicep and tricep curls so you don't injure yourself with incorrect technique.

If you have a free fitness centre nearby and are eager to try it out, good on you!
  • CindyVer2015
    Options
    I'm a nerd anyway but it's different being a nerd in yoga pants hahahahah
    I don't know anyone who goes in the fitness center except for the ones who go for the couch and tv.
    I would love to invest in a personal trainer but it's just not in the book...checkbook right now. :)
    Thank you all for the input! Google and youtube shall be my guide for now.
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Alot of commercial gyms will give you an introductory "tour/lesson" that is free. They will show you how to use the equipment and may even set up a basic strength program. You could see if this gym will do something like that. Even if they don't, if they have any staff on-site, they are usually happy to answer questions.

Good luck!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    kettle BELL first of all :p ... secondly, Youtube is a great place to start. and good for you for pushing yourself into this. YOO will not regret it so long as you take your time and focus on form. absolutely expect to gain a few pounds in the beginning, and to be sore BUT hang in their.. the soreness fades... and the new strength and mindset you will develop will only spur you onto some great things... before you begin take measurements as a baseline because plenty of people get discouraged when they can't see the results... so use the measurements as some self assurance Now get you SOME!!!
  • CindyVer2015
    Options
    Thank you all for helping me out. I will see if I can find anybody who works there - it is usually empty. It's a great idea.
    It took me a minute on the kettle bell thing and I scrolled back up and saw what I did. :D Taking measurements is on my list of things to get accomplished this weekend. Thank you!