Feeling sick? too much exercise and lack of sleep?

Options
I have been working out almost everyday ,For the last 3 days I have been feeling yucky. This week I noticed that after a workout my heart rate stayed elevated for quiet a while ..making me feel a little "high" at night it was hard to sleep. I usually workout out late afternoon. I have limited my caffeine intake due to the my pulse being high...and I know that the lack of sleep causes my pulse to rise. I have decided to take it easy today and last night i went to bed early , I knew i needed to rest ..I feel a bit better but still feel jittery at times.

Are these changes normal when the body is changing? Has anyone felt like this too ?

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Could be you've picked up a virus. If your heartrate's running high I'd get it checked out with the doctor just to make sure there's nothing hidden going on - they can do an ECG really quickly and it should put your mind at rest. For me, a higher heart rate usually means I've drunk too much caffeine or I'm stressed out. Too much exercise doesn't usually do it. That said - every 3 months or so my body feels just knackered and I know I need to take time off. I usually exercise Mon - Thurs and Sat and so when I get that tired feeling I'll skip the Thursday and Saturday workouts and feel great and raring to go by Monday. Always check out any heart issues with the doc though.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    What kind of "high" have you experienced in the past that prevents you from sleeping? :devil:

Try eating a recovery snack of carbs and protein after your workouts. Whole wheat toast and a tbsp of pb is a great post-workout snack.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound quite normal. I've done the exercise 5-6 days a week (for an hour+ a day, even) and not noticed symptoms you mention. My first guess would be you've caught a bug. Maybe give yourself a day or two to get over it, drink plenty of fluids, and be ready to come back strong.
    Also make sure you're not at too much of a deficit. My understanding is that MFP already calculates something of a deficit into your calorie goal, based on how much you want to loose a week. If you drop too much below that, you may not be getting enough. Also make sure you are getting sufficient vitamins, iron, and calcium (the last is essential to proper muscle function, and too many people skimp there when they are dieting). A deficiency in iron or calcium, or one of the B vitamins, could cause you to feel sick and shaky.
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    What kind of "high" have you experienced in the past that prevents you from sleeping? :devil:

Try eating a recovery snack of carbs and protein after your workouts. Whole wheat toast and a tbsp of pb is a great post-workout snack.

*starts to rethink her bad days* :devil:
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'd say to be sure, you should see your doctor. Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can mess with blood pressure and pulse.

I'd say, make a doctor appointment, increase water, lower the intensity or length of your workouts, and focus on sleeping first.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think I may be dehydrated and all have not been taking my vitamin supplements..need to buy some more. Hope to be 100% soon. Thanks to you all :wink:

P.S no illegal substances were consumed during this post ..or ever.. :):laugh:
  • iq5203
    iq5203 Posts: 17
    Options
    I had stuff like this when I tried to drop my calories too low, maybe you're not eating enough?