Realistic timeline for weight loss

Options
I am all about taking it slow and letting my body get up to speed with my recent lifestyle changes. I am not fad dieting or doing anything extreme, just using mfp and doing interval treadmill workouts 2-3 times a week. My plan is to up the gym time as I get stronger. I'm on a 1200-1500 calorie intake when I was eating probably upwards of 3,000 a day.

My question to mfpals is, what should I expect in 6 months if I stay consistent with what I am doing? I know everyone's bodies are different, I'm interested to hear where you were at after 6 months? I turn 25 on July 25th, so just about 6 months from now.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I depends on how much you have to lose? Heavier people lose faster then lighter people. On average 32 weeks = 32 pounds
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your starting point is. 1 lb a week, @ 24 lbs down, 2 a week @ 50lbs down. No one can really tell you what your body is going to do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lost a bit over 30 pounds in the first 6 months (Jan-June last year.) After that my weight loss slowed to average 10 pounds every 3 months.

It sounds like you are already keeping this in mind but I will repeat--don't compare yourself to others :) Your weight loss may be faster or slower or come from different spots in your body since we are all different, have different starting points, etc. Happy birthday way early though :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    On 1200 to 1500, I lose about 3 to 4 pounds a week ... but I'll be running 50-60 mpw. I would think that, without my running I'd be losing about a-pound-and-a-half a week on that ... but that's just me.

My wife wouldn't be losing anything at all in that range - maybe a pound a month, at most? That's close to her normal, non-restricted intake.

There is insufficient data in your post to even make a guess.

Try it for a month and report back.
  • mariepar
    mariepar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your plan seems sensible and sound. As another poster says, take a month or so and see how you fare. My sister and I are similar in that we see minimal loss for a while as the body adjusts but then suddenly the pounds seem to melt quickly. Especially paired with exercise and a reasonable caloric amount. Your body may have different reactions to the changes at first.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Similarly to jemhh, I lost 32 or so pounds the first six months and since August I have been losing on average about .5 lb a week. I started out about 40# above the top of the "healthy weight range" and have had times during the journey where I have focused more on strength training and less on weight loss.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lb in my first 6 months, but since have only lost 5lb as I've reached my initial goal weight. I'm hoping to lose another 5-10lb in 2015, but know it will come off considerably slower as I have less to lose, and can't lower my calorie intake (currently at 1200/day)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    .5lb-1.5lbs a week is doable with consistency Good Luck on Your Journey
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My birthday is July 25 too - too funny! What a coincidence! For me, it took awhile to start seeing results...on the scale. However, I was losing inches and people were telling me "You look great!" It takes awhile to start seeing it on the scale, at least it did for me. You will also have periods of time where you "stall out." Or plateau. Don't get frustrated. Stay committed. Exercise. Log your food. Weigh everything! You will get there. MyFitnessPal is a great source of support - I love the forums. I read them EVERY morning, just to remind myself why I'm doing this. To be the best me I can be. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Pretty reliably about 1.2-1.3 lbs a week is what I am doing.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    depends on how overweight you are = the faster you will lose weight AS THE MAIN FACTOR but of course other factors like

*how much you eat 1500cals vs 2500cals per day
    *your workout plan. you doing intervals vs only cardio
    *motivation
    *etc
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has been saying, it depends on where you're starting. When I started my goal was to lose 50-60lb. It's been five almost five moths and I'm down 44lbs so far, but things have really slowed after the first two months. I've lost 5lbs since mid-December and I don't expect that to pick up much, but I continue to feel really good and now I can feel almost every little change in my clothes.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I like to upload this whenever I see questions like this.

5xekiia8rkeb.jpg
  • savannahdougherty7
    savannahdougherty7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    AdrianBry wrote: »
    depends on how overweight you are = the faster you will lose weight AS THE MAIN FACTOR but of course other factors like

*how much you eat 1500cals vs 2500cals per day
    *your workout plan. you doing intervals vs only cardio
    *motivation
    *etc

Should I be only doing cardio? I was told that the interval training would help melt fat faster and also built muscle - I do 4 sets of this workout:
    3 minutes walking, 3 minutes jogging, 1 minute sprint, 1 minute jog, 1 minute sprint. Then between each set I do either 20 push ups, sit ups, squats, or jumping jacks.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was always told to up my resistance training alongside cardio, but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to the gym so can't say for sure if it would have helped but the science is sound so maybe try to add that in?

What I can say is that for the first 6 months of MFP I combined walking and a modest net calorie deficit and lost absolutely loads quickly - as in down from 100kg to 80kg. It's clearly easier to lose from an obese state than a slightly overweight one. In recent times on MFP I've had to approach things very differently to get similar rate of loss, despite now being a fairly serious runner, although hopefully I have cracked it now.....but that's another story......