losing weight after a miscarriage

Options
Hello, I'm a newbie (although not new to this exercise malarky) I joined MFP at the end of last year, although haven't been using it regularly, but was wondering if I could have some advice. Quick bit about me, I'm 34, 5ft 2in and currently weigh 126lbs (8 stone 13lbs).

I am no stranger to exercise and have been a regular gym member for about 10 years. Towards the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 myself and my husband were completing a Mens Health 12 Week strength training magbook - so we are talking heavy weights! - and I was in the best shape of my life! (8 stone 2lb with lean muscle)

May/June 2014 came along and with it also came birthday's, a wedding and our 10 day holiday, so my weight went back up to 8stone 7lbs. In July we discovered I was pregnant with our first baby.....then I lost the baby at the end of August! :(

I have struggled to lose the weight I gained when I was pregnant and have been hovering around the 126lb mark since September last year. I try to eat healthy, with lots of lean protein, veg and salads and I do not eat a lot of carbs, apart from sweet potato, wholemeal pitta and some rice every now and then, plus I have not drunk Alcohol since 1st January 2015. I feel horrendous in my clothes, my face is chubby and my skin a mess. I have a layer of fat all over my body, especially on the legs, hips and tummy which has made me go up 2 trouser sizes (from an 8/10 to a 12). My thyroid and B12 levels have both been tested and are normal levels. Also my doctor was going to put me on anti-depressants to help with my stress, anxiety and low mood, but because we want to try for another baby he changed his mind.

I need to go back to the gym, but am finding it hard to motivate myself. I have been completing 3/4 sessions of Davina's 15 minute Fit DVD, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Is there anything that could kick start my weight loss again? even if I got back down to 8 stone 7lbs I'd be so much happier!

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    First, I am so sorry for the loss of your pregnancy. I went through similar circumstances, losing a baby a couple of years ago, and it took some time to get back on my feet.

I am no doctor, but from my own experience, it took longer than I expected it would for my body to "get back to normal" after the miscarriage. I figure hormones are out of whack, and emotions and stress can play a role in weight gain.

When I did start back to exercise, I started slowly, just walking at first, increasing the distance as I felt I could, and eventually started light workouts as well - bodyweight at first, maybe 30 minutes a day, and some yoga/stretching type stuff (check out FitnessBlender.com for great free videos - good stuff if you don't want to mess with getting to the gym).

One day at a time, you've been through a lot, mentally and physically, so take it slow. Sounds like you're doing pretty well with eating, so that's good. :smile: Look for those small victories each day, and then each week. Hang in there - things will get better.
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I know for me when we lost the baby in 2011 I gained a lot of weight just from depression alone. It took me a few years before I started trying to lose the weight. Thankfully you didnt put on the extra 60 like I did but my advice would be to slowly start getting back into the gym and picking a routine that will show you some results.

You have been through a rough time physically and mentally. You have to give yourself time to heal. Just like Amy above me said things do get eaiser. But it takes a while for things to feel normal again.

Just find something that feels good to you and keep at it. That is what I have had to do through everything.

If you ever need to just vent or have someone to chat with please let me know. I have been right where you are.
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My heart breaks for you and your husband. I'm so sorry for your loss. I believe the above poster is on track with her statements about "hormones being out of whack". I think not only does it take longer due to the hormones, but also due to the emotional state following such a loss. My thoughts are with you. Things will normalize again in the hormone department and you will be successful in your weight loss. <3
  • ForBaacon
    ForBaacon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I found out I was pregnant through a miscarriage. I ended up being quite thin as, during the pregnancy, I thought I was just getting fat so I didn't eat as much. But after losing the baby I put on around 30lbs+ out of depression and binge eating. I didn't start losing weight until last year. I wasn't mentally ready for it.
    +
    That is literally the main thing for you- be mentally prepared to lose weight otherwise it will never happen. Make sure you have friends/family/people around you that support you, that want you to be happy. Focus on the good things to come- holidays, outings with friends, anything that will lift your spirits. Remember not to keep your emotions locked up- that was my mistake.

Most importantly, find people who have been through what you have! It's all good speaking to people about it but if they haven't been through the same things, they will never really understand how you feel. If you want to message me about anything I am always happy to help and support.

Just remember to focus on the good in life, let other people help you and you'll soon be in the right mind set :)