Insane amount of protein!

Options
My macros calculations indicate that I should be eating 155g of protein daily. How is this even possible??? I'd have to be consuming mass quantities of animal protein (Bc Im doing low carb). I can't seem to get above 75 even with protein shakes. Help!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    That's pretty high. I also have some trouble making my goal of 120g. I have about 4oz of meat/poultry/fish at all 3 meals, which gets me close. To make up the difference I'm figuring out some options, e.g., cheese, yogurt, edamame, quest bars
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ya that's unrealistic. Check out iifym.com.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your macro calculations? What is your reasoning? There is no universally ideal macro ratio...you can set them to be whatever you want them to be.

I try to get anywhere from 0.8 - 1g per Lb of LBM which gives me a range of around 115 - 145...so I'm cool if I'm anywhere in there. I don't think you need 155 g...most women do just fine if they're getting over 100 grams.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You should eat .8 to 1 gram of protein per lean body mass weight.
    Here is a calculator to get an estimate of what your lean body mass is:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lean-body-mass
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

1g per pound of LEAN body mass is the recommendation. Typically 30% protein is pretty much spot on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

1g per pound of LEAN body mass is the recommendation. Typically 30% protein is pretty much spot on.

That's what I said!!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    My macros calculations indicate that I should be eating 155g of protein daily. How is this even possible??? I'd have to be consuming mass quantities of animal protein (Bc Im doing low carb). I can't seem to get above 75 even with protein shakes. Help!

Your protein is likely a bit high -- like others have said, around a gram per lean body mass (your weight - your body fat) is reasonable. 155g however isn't an insane amount of protein -- my protein powder is around 25g per scoop. A shake with two scoops is then 50g, leaving you 105g left to eat -- which is what, like 1.25lb of chicken over the course of the day?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How many calories are you supposed to be consuming with 155 grams of protein? What is the percentage of daily calories?

I usually eat 90 to 110 grams of protein on a 1300-1500 calorie plan. It's really not as difficult as you think it is. If you're on a low carb plan most of your calories are going to come from fat and the majority of the rest are going to come from protein, plain and simple.

What are you eating that you can't get enough protein in? Is your diet mostly fat? That's the only thing left if you are eating low carb.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If that's your current weight (or thereabouts) in your profile pic, 155g doesn't sound insanely high. Probably in the ballpark of the .8-1g/LBM rate. You can hit at least 100g without any meat.

For example, all of the following foods are great protein sources, and are not meat:

Greek yogurt (21-22g per cup serving)
    Protein powder (not too hard to find ones in the 25-30g/scoop range)
    Whole eggs (2 whole eggs = 12-15g protein)
    Egg whites (26g per 1 cup raw)
    Legumes (pinto and black beans, e.g. 15g/cup serving)

If you eat one serving as listed of everything on that list daily, that's 103g protein. If you eat plenty of whole grains, potatoes, and veggies, the plant proteins in those can easily exceed 20g daily. You're just left w/ 30g to fill in with a piece of meat (for variety, fish and seafood for a change of pace), or extra servings of above.

ETA: Sorry, I totally missed that you're doing low-carb, so the whole grains and potatoes suggestion obviously doesn't apply to you. But still, eating lots of non-starchy veggies w/ high fiber content (forgive my ignorance, low-carb means subtract fiber from carb counts, right?) is good for incidental protein sources other than meat, and should fit in a low carb guideline.
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I did - that's how I determined my calculations.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »

I did - that's how I determined my calculations.

At 235 pounds, 155 seems about right. My goal is 1800 and my protein goal is 133g (I'm 133 pounds so it's probably overkill though). Just eat more meat, Greek yogurt, cheese... Heck I haven't had dinner yet and I'm already at 130g of protein (granted, I had two bowls of protein pudding). But it's doable without that too. My diary is open if you want to see how I get there (I went over my calories quite a bit last week but this week is pretty much spot on).
  • dayismd
    Options
    Can somone help me please. I dont know how i can figure out the protein, carbs and fat i should eat. Im 5'6 and i weight 143 now. I work out 5 days a week. Im working a lot on loosing weight but in a healthy way.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    dayismd wrote: »
    Can somone help me please. I dont know how i can figure out the protein, carbs and fat i should eat. Im 5'6 and i weight 143 now. I work out 5 days a week. Im working a lot on loosing weight but in a healthy way.

There's no set amount you should eat. For the most part, what you're eating isn't as important as how much you're eating. Focus now on keeping your calories under goal. Once you get that down pat you can work on tweaking your macro percentages.
  • dayismd
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

There's no set amount you should eat. For the most part, what you're eating isn't as important as how much you're eating. Focus now on keeping your calories under goal. Once you get that down pat you can work on tweaking your macro percentages.

Ok got it. Thank you
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    7gtgjrnnsu9g.jpg
    SueInAz wrote: »

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options

For someone that weighs 230lbs., that is a realistic number.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't know what that is from (the "Figure 1:2" macro chart), but that's some really inappropriate calorie numbers. *I* (or any woman) should eat b/w 990-1235 calories a day? Now THAT is insane (FTR, I lose on 1900/day, maintain on ~2200 @ 137lbs).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »

For someone that weighs 230lbs., that is a realistic number.
    Regardless of a persons body fat percentage? Protein is calculated for lean mass, not overall body weight.

• Francl27
    Options
    Can't seem to be able to quote that image because the image is in the way, but that's for someone of normal weight... not overweight or obese.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I don't know what that is from (the "Figure 1:2" macro chart), but that's some really inappropriate calorie numbers. *I* (or any woman) should eat b/w 990-1235 calories a day? Now THAT is insane (FTR, I lose on 1900/day, maintain on ~2200 @ 137lbs).

If you put me on 1235 cals, I will be a hangry *kitten* and chew your head off.
    That chart is flatout wrong