Does anyone have under active thyroid ?

Options
Hi .. Just wondering does anyone have under active thyroid? How is your weight loss? I need to lose at least 3st. By oct for my wedding eeeekkkk I really hope I can do it, I do find it a little harder with my under active thyroid but determined to lose this weight!! Feel free to add me so we can help each other out with advise and tips and keep us motivated good luck all

Replies

• Bill_12831
    Bill_12831 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism I have been on levothyroxine for about 3 years now at 100mcg. I'm a 45 year old male, it's not as common for men to have hypothyroidism, lucky me!

Anyway last year I started working out on a total gym 3 times a week and I lost about 6 pounds, I stopped my workouts and got lazy for a few months and put the weight back on.

So I am trying something new now, for two weeks I have been tracking my calories on myfitnesspal and I use a Heart Rate monitor when I exercise to get an idea of how many calories I am burning, I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

I am new to tracking calories, so I am probably very well underestimating my intake. Hopefully I will get better at that.

I'm 5'9 and weight 180, I should be around 165. I'm not obese but can lose a few pounds in the belly. I can't attribute all the weight gain to hypothyroidism , I don't eat all the right foods, I'm 45 and sit at a desk all day.

I think hypothyroidism does make it a little harder to lose weight, but once the medications are regulated and you are eating right and exercising, I think you can maintain a normal healthy weight.
  • frankruggles
    Options
    I have Grave's Disease which caused my thyroid to become enlarged and over-produced waaaay too much hormone so they gave me radioactive Iodine to kill my thyroid. Now I take a cocktail of Levothyroxine and Armour Thyroid to keep me alive. The challenge I am sure you are facing is that unlike the thryoid that produces more and less hormones as we need them, your dose delivers the same amount all day. It's hard to get "up" for a workout. I am a runner and have not had my "runners high" since I lost my thyroid. I decided to try to beat the thyroid blues with MyFItnessPal.

I started MyFitness Pal on Jan 1, counting calories seems to really help, and lets' me know where my challenge areas are in my diet. I go to the gym and run or use the machines 5 days a week. Only 5k on the treadmill, slow, 9.5 minute miles. I haven't had anything to drink since Jan1 except water. not.one.sip. I am dedicated to coming in below my calorie number every day, I dont' have a "cheat day". ( I used to try that and I seemed to gain it all back in one day) I am eating very few carbs, no bread, pasta, very little fruit, no candy,

My diet is simple....plain fat free yogurt with protein granola for breakfast OR 3 boiled eggs. Lunch is a bowl of Chili, a teaspoon of sour cream , no crackers, dinner is a chicken breast or a pork chop or pot roast and a vegetable ( green beans or carrots or lima beans)

Jan 1 I was 228 pounds, today I am 215 and I can see myself at 200 soon. I'm 6'2", 48 years old.
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do. 100mcg levothyroxine daily for the last 4+ years. Add middle aged woman to that and weight loss is a huge challenge but not more than I can handle! The keys for me are both reasonable diet and definitely keeping at or under my calorie goal for the day, activity, and patience! I think the hardest part of the weight loss journey is patience and sticking with the plan. Every once in awhile things get a little screwy - less activity or too many calories or you're doing it all right and it's just not showing on the scale. That's when commitment and patience MUST take over. Feel free to add me. Also, just picked up a vivofit. The red bar of shame that appears after sitting for an hour is especially helpful since I have a desk job. ~ molly
  • summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi all :) fab thanks for the replys, yes I'm on 150mcg daily of levotheoxine. I'm glad it doesn't have a massive downfall in your weight loss! I can't blame all myw right gain on my thyroid either I have been eating everything I shouldn't :( lol
    Until now I've started and I'm going to finish a much smaller me!! I have my wedding in October and really want to feel fab on the day!!
    I'm eating much better healthier and started walking for now to start I will do more but don't want to do loads at the start I'd rather build myself up so I don't get to fed up to quick lol good luck to you all, feel free to add me as in don't know how to add people
  • territankersley
    Options
    I have an under-active thyroid and have been on medication for many years. I find that I have to really watch what I eat and include exercise in my daily routine or weight gain is inevitable.
  • klgils
    klgils Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too. I am considered obese unfortunately. Add fibromyalgia and arthritis to the thyroid issue. I have been on levothyroxine for three years. My biggest problem is being sedentary and not paying attention to my food intake. I am starting over on MFP. I am feeling good about starting over. This time I want to finish what I start.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I take Armour Thyroid each day. I *still* am sluggish and have to live on low calories and work out 3 times a week or else I gain. X( Weight loss for us is slow. It's not necessarily going to work to have a deadline. You may be able to drop half a pound a week if you're anything like me.
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypothyroid (taking 100 mcg levothyroxine) and have arthritis and disc issues in my back. I found that watching the carbs helps the weight come off a little easier. And for me exercise is critical. Without it I don't lose. Which is difficult because of the low energy level and arthritis issues. I am trying hard to make it happen though. I love running and am slowing trying to get back at it as much as my joints will allow.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Half a thyroid due to cancer. I'm on 100mcg Synthroid and have been since 2005. My thyroid issues have not stalled my weight loss in any way. Best of luck on your journey!
  • suzieq1146
    suzieq1146 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me too. Have had under active thyroid for many years and take thyroxine. By using this super app you can easily watch your diet. Keep up the exercise - that's crucial. Good luck.
  • KandyKorn60
    Options
    I have had Hashimoto's Thyroid for the past 30 years along with Arthitis. My weight as been an issue since my diagnosis. But I know that with exercise, watching what I eat and having a support system of friends and family I can loose the weight. But I have also come to realize after all these years of looking for the perfect diet -- there isn't one. It has to be a change to how I choose to live.
  • Rosie5151
    Rosie5151 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroid, also. I have taken every medcation out there for under active thyroid. Just came off of my second pill of the day *yes, I was taking two different meds twice a day*. Now down to one a day. I've recently lost 76lbs with no problems and now I'm at a stall. Doc says to alternate exercises to rev up the system. Lets see if that works! Good luck!
  • shellcatori
    shellcatori Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I had half my thyroid removed last year and had my blood result today telling me it is not functioning properly. I think the doctor will put me on thyroxine next week. I'm looking for friends who know what I'm going through who will support me which will work both ways obviously I'm here for you too. I'm worried losing weight is going to be so much harder :(
  • kallysass
    kallysass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I have Hashimotos, PCOS and a list of other issues. I have been on thyroid meds for about 17 years. I have had 3 different times where I have been able to get down to my ideal weight but each time I have popped back up. Right now I'm on 150mcg of Levothyroxine and 2000mg of Metphormin. I am still really tired. But in the middle of December I went to a Dr and weighed in at 201 lbs (I'm just a bit over 5'2") and I decided I was done. I have been going to the gym almost every day since then and watching what I am eating. (Altho' in all honesty the first two weeks I was just going to the gym and eating whatever.) I have lost 11 lbs. I really haven't changed my diet drastically just my portion sizes. I am terrified for the week when I plateau. What makes this time different for me is that I feel like I am in control of my food (rather than doing something like a program where I had to stick to their guidelines). For me weight loss has been such a struggle because I am often just too tired to do anything. One of the reasons I have been going to the gym almost daily is that I feel like if I stop I won't be able to go back. I am in a routine of getting up at 5 on work days, going to the gym and then heading to work. On the weekends I go in the morning. I find that working out in the morning I feel better the rest of the day and more conscious of what I am eating because I know what I have burned already. Its probably silly but it seems to be working. I have found that I do best when I have smaller goals to achieve. Generally, its not the actual weight (although that goal is there of course), it will be things like burn 3500 calories this week, or beat yesterday's distance on the elliptical in the same amount of time. So far this seems to be doing the trick of motivating myself. Good Luck all, and keep it up!
  • k_hansen_2007
    Options
    I just had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer, In the last year i gained 60 lbs, for no good reason at all, Dr said stop eating , problem was , i wasnt eating much at all, if i looked at food i would gain weight, i felt horrible. Since november, when i had thryoid removed Dr put me on synthroid, i am not having good results with this drug, as my blood levels are inconsistant and all over the place, the good news is i have started walking and doing simple exercizes at home, i have lost about 10 lbs and a few inches off my body, small bits of improvment, and it has helped my mental state of being, keep working hard friend, nothing will be easy if you want it to last, it will be a lifestyle change, not just some simple exersize and diet, it will have to be a comittment.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yep. My GP won't prescribe anything for it because I'm just barely sub-clinical.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid here too. I have less muscle mass than to be expected from weight, gender etc. and it seems to be related to the thyroid. So yes, also struggling to put off weight more than people with normal thyroid. But, I did it in the past (slow but steady wins the race), so just do what has to be done and you too can do it. Yes, we can. :)
  • runnergrl103
    runnergrl103 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's encouraging to read your posts. I have an under active thyroid and it has been a bit challenging to lose weight. It felt like the less I ate, the more weight I gained!
    @Silinde "slow and steady" is the right mindset!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    From what several Dr's have told me, having under active thyroid (Hypothyroidism) means that we gain weight quicker than average but, that if levels are maintained through medication, weight loss should not be any more difficult than for the average person.

Been dealing with my Thyroid for a decade. Currently on 200mcg on Synthroid.