Thai restaurant.

Options
Hubby surprised me this am....has a sitter for daughter and dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant. Help...I know one meal won't kill me but I want to make wise choices.

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Enjoy your meal and don't worry about it.

You might just get a to go box, eat half your meal and take the rest home for later. But seriously, I wouldn't worry about one meal. Enjoy your date with your husband!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Agree wholeheartedly with Ceci.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's your favourite restaurant so go enjoy your favourite meal.

Enjoy your date.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your meal and if it makes you feel better, just go get some exercise the next day to make up for it! Weight loss is a lifestyle change, so take your time and enjoy life in the process! As long as you get back to tracking the next day, you will be fine. :)
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    And drink lots of water...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with the others but you're looking for advice about eating healthy so here it is... A lot of this applies to making healthy choices in restaurants, regardless of the theme.

Start with a broth based soup. Avoid the ones with coconut milk. I like TomYum Goong (shrimp) - it's a little spicy but can fill you up a bit.

Avoid anything fried, breaded or "crispy". Go for grilled, sauteed, steamed.

While there's nothing wrong with eating rice or noodles, they can add a lot of calories. Get entrees with rice on the side so you can moderate your intake.

Be careful of dishes that include sauces (especially peanut sauce) and/or nuts. In my experience, their sauces aren't as heavy as those in Chinese restaurants but every place can be different.

Sometimes I'll just order off the appetizer menu. Chicken satay without the peanut sauce and steamed dumplings. Yummy!

Most restaurants have their menu posted online. Go check it out and make your choice ahead of time (and stick with it, of course) so you're not tempted with all yummy options. Try to find the dishes in the MFP food database and choose which ones look best with less calories.

Good luck, have fun!
  • crystrusty
    crystrusty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. For the advice. I am going to enjoy my meal. Planned on walking/running on treadmill on lunch break today and tomorrow. :D