What to wear to a fitness class when your worried about wobbly bits lol

Options
This sounds weird to ask but what is the best clothes and what can you recommend from the UK? Last night I went to a fitness class but my trousers kept rolling down at the front so it was uncomfy lol. I know a lot of people wear tights/leggings of a sports type but if I have big legs wouldn't everything wobble and make me look worse? And I want a top that isn't clingy! I'm in the UK so not sure if there's anywhere that's a good shop etc!

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Compression pants/capris for down below. They are tight fitting, but they compress, so you don't wobble. Some have a higher waist that will keep the belly at bay too. After that, any top that you feel comfortable in.

Not sure where to buy in store in the UK, but you could order some from Amazon if all else fails.

Double bonus: compression pants make my joints feel better when working out too.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm not sure about specific brands in the UK but it sounds like you have a similar problem to me - my thighs are big in proportion to my waist. I have to make sure I buy shorts/ pants to fit my thighs, even though the waist will be too big. So make sure it has a draw string so you can cinch the waist in.

But you know what, in terms of looking a certain way, try to get out of that mindset. You're there to exercise. All that matters is that you are comfortable and able to move freely enough to do the class.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    You can also always wear compression pants and then throw on a pair of gym shorts over them if you don't like they way they look.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I assure you that, for most straight men, we don't care what you wear. And for those of us trying to lose weight and/or get in shape we care even less.

Women care immensely what other women wear. In my short time at my gym that seems to be the number one topic (other womens clothes choices).

I'd shoot for comfort first but put 400% more energy and thought into the actual workout over what I'm wearing. Do you the best you can and the rest should sort itself out.

Good luck!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Evans do good leggings and big Tshirts in big sizes. Their stuff is a bit pricey but they last well. Don't worry about how you look because what people will see is someone who is determined to get fit, lose weight etc instead of making excuses. Go for it girl.
  • sammmmykins
    sammmmykins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wear jogging bottoms and a comfortable shirt. like just go to sports direct and pick up stuff for £10, it's not going to be any worst than anything else.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    SPANDEX! :)
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    I assure you that, for most straight men, we don't care what you wear. And for those of us trying to lose weight and/or get in shape we care even less.

Women care immensely what other women wear. In my short time at my gym that seems to be the number one topic (other womens clothes choices).

I'd shoot for comfort first but put 400% more energy and thought into the actual workout over what I'm wearing. Do you the best you can and the rest should sort itself out.

Good luck!

Yeah I don't know why when you are at a gym it matters to others what the heck you are wearing...never made sense to me. If you are comfortable in what you wear great!

OP, I would look at getting compression type shorts/capris/pants and then you can throw loose shorts over it if you don't feel comfortable with the tightness, also try yoga pants or sweatpants with a drawstring.

As for tops whatever you are comfortable in and can workout it, I generally wear a tshirt.
  • CarrieB915
    CarrieB915 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for going to class! That's step one. I started out the same way - wanting to be there, but worried about how I looked. Luckily for me, the studio where I take class (which is Zumba, so there's a lot of shaking of my 'wobbly bits!') is not brightly lit, to imitate a night club feel. I am thankful for that, because I don't want to worry about what I look like. And I know that's not the point, but I do! I started with looser fit capri pants, and whatever t-shirt I was comfortable in. Fast forward 3 years, and I now am perfectly comfortable in tights and a tank top.

It totally makes a workout more enjoyable, and therefore more likely to be done in the first place, if you feel good about yourself while you are doing it. So keep it up!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this needs to be expanded on.

if you do a class with a lot of inverting- and you have a shirt that falls down- you may want to wear two- or just get a slightly more fitted shirt- if you spend your time stressing over your clothes- you.will.not.workout.to.your.fullest.

I promise you.

Get things that make you NOT fussy- if that means pants with drawstrings- do it. If that means TWO shirts- do it.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed your class :o

Just this week sports direct got karrimor Lycra bottoms on offer, I've been and bought some large mens running bottoms and they're great no wobbles, and my top half is just a big t shirt, all is good.

But to be honest no one is looking and judging anyway, they're all just doing their thing xx
  • MrsH78
    MrsH78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got some comfy, cool, loose pants and tshirts from next. It was a while ago but they always have something similar :)
  • feliciacopp
    Options
    I LOVE yoga pants! For everything ha ha but for a top I wear a tank top under a t shirt. I buy the tank a bit small so it holds my stuff in, then a v neck top. Its also wearable during the week when I'm not at the gym, plus ify shirt rides up it keeps my belly and back end covered ;). And yoga pants are super stretchy and give in the right places. After about 3 months I noticed everything fitting better and falling into place . so my confidence is getting to the point where tight pants and tank tops may not be too far off ;) good luck!
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I understand this totally all the girls in the classes I go to have all this bright coloured super tight workout stuff, totally not me I went to sports direct got some looser fitting Capri trousers with a drawstring I think there la gear and were about £10 I then where a tighter vest type top under a t shirt. Hope you find something you are comfy in. Add me if you like.
  • fmcg1982
    fmcg1982 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    USA Sports 3/4 length leggings in Sport's direct are my absolute favourite. They have a thich waistband so don't roll and they are tight to keep my thighs from jiggling. They also have a small pocket at the back for my locker key.

Primark has a range of sport clothes too and their vests are really good, they seem to be a bit longer and they don't ride up.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i cant say this enough.... NIKE SKAPRI!! cropped leggings with a skirt over the top. I have big thighs and they are fab at covering them.