Problem whilst running

Options
when ever i seem to jog, i get a stitch in my collar bone and across my chest. Any ideas on why? Its stopping me going further, thanks

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your too tense and hunched possibly.

Lift your head through the neck, and breathe.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    ^^ yup.

Head up, shoulders back and relaxed. Don't tense your arms either, and keep them dropped.

Slowing down may help as well.
  • KAZD44
    KAZD44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How far have you run when it comes on? If it's early on maybe you need to start off slower until you are warmed up, then increase the pace a little.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sideache. What helps me is to start slowly for the first 5 minutes at least, then slowly build up speed.
  • gemmadoel
    gemmadoel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think i do hunch abit and tense my arms but feels weird any other way lol thanks everyone,ill give it a go
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It can be breathing related, especially if you breathe in on footstrike. Easy way to check is if you control your breathing and keep it out of sync with your pace.

Re hunching and arms, every so often let your arms flop and dangle while you run. it feels very odd but helps to free up tightness in the upper body.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gemmadoel wrote: »
    I think i do hunch abit and tense my arms but feels weird any other way lol thanks everyone,ill give it a go

Something I observe quite regularly when I'm running is newbies who hold their hands up in front of the chest and rotate around the trunk a lot. Particularly women.

You do need to put some focus to it, but I've found suggesting that someone imagines carrying a couple of eggs is quite a good way to relax them a little. Concentrate on moving the arms forward and back, rather than around the body, to reduce trunk twist. It's inefficient as well as tense.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I read a tip that helped me out with that a few years ago; focus on your hands, holding the thumb and forefinger together in an O-shape, touching them together lightly touching. For me this focus extend the lessening of tension up through the arms, shoulders, neck and and upper back.

• gemmadoel
    Options

Something I observe quite regularly when I'm running is newbies who hold their hands up in front of the chest and rotate around the trunk a lot. Particularly women.

You do need to put some focus to it, but I've found suggesting that someone imagines carrying a couple of eggs is quite a good way to relax them a little. Concentrate on moving the arms forward and back, rather than around the body, to reduce trunk twist. It's inefficient as well as tense.

I just move them forward and back I think, I ran earlier and tensed less and I was abit better, thanks :)
  • gemmadoel
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »

I read a tip that helped me out with that a few years ago; focus on your hands, holding the thumb and forefinger together in an O-shape, touching them together lightly touching. For me this focus extend the lessening of tension up through the arms, shoulders, neck and and upper back.

thank you I will try :)
  • gemmadoel
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    It can be breathing related, especially if you breathe in on footstrike. Easy way to check is if you control your breathing and keep it out of sync with your pace.

Re hunching and arms, every so often let your arms flop and dangle while you run. it feels very odd but helps to free up tightness in the upper body.

yeh maybe, think I breath too fast too, im not sure, ill give it ago though thanks :)