C25K week one day one just kicked my sorry ***

Options
13»

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The_Sandra wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys! I'd never considered getting running shoes for this, all I did for cardio before was walk. I guess my beat down dr scholls aren't gonna cut it for this. Anyone know of a discount place to get shoes? I wanna do this, but no way do I have 100+ for a pair of shoes.

I went and got fitted but turned down their shoes and found the exact same ones in older models on sale on Amazon. Best thing ever.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted, and then buy some socks as a token of your appreciation for their time (I like Thorlos, and a good pair of running socks is nice to have anyway). Then take their brand and line recommendation and look for older models online. Good luck! You can do this! C25K turned me into a runner, and gave me more stamina to do all the non-running activities that I love!

How are running socks better / different from regular socks?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I about died doing week two day two!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

From my understanding they are:
    • wicking
    • stay up on your leg better
    • are slightly thicker than lots of day to day socks
    • DON'T HAVE SEAMS BY YOUR TOES(!!!!)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I also enjoyed my completion of the first day. Slowing the pace down and using new shoes really helped. Unfortunately I fell at school, running for the bus :( So I might need to take a break for a bit, my ankle swelled to the point of needing to remove my shoe, and still doesn't fit in my brace.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

• wicking

And most importantly: not cotton. Wearing regular socks to run in is asking for it.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

• wicking

And most importantly: not cotton. Wearing regular socks to run in is asking for it.

Good to know. Thanks.
  • jekakah
    jekakah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I began c25k back in oct. I really struggled with the first few weeks (at that point i weighed about 16kg more than i should) but i stuck with it and i have had awesome results. I ran my first 5k race at 7 weeks, thought i was going to die! But Ive kept up the running and have slowly increased my distance over the weeks. Im now 8kg lighter than when i started and just this weekend gone i ran my first 10k race :D If i can do it anyone can. Keep it up everyone it is hard work but the sense of achievement once you get to that goal is amazing.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow.. Not looking forward to it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I went and got fitted but turned down their shoes and found the exact same ones in older models on sale on Amazon. Best thing ever.

So you went into the shop, used their service, and then didn't follow through on a transaction. I'd note that many local running shops will have a returns policy that you won't get on Amazon, equally they'll generally have a bit of a community around them, as well as some pretty favourable rates for loyalty.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Good golly was this harder than I expected, I could only get through a little better than half of this thing.

I did C25K just under two years ago, and it was challenging. The key points are already inthread, take your time, if you really need to then repeat weeks, although I'd recommend no more than twice as you stop getting any improvement at about that point.

A lot of running progress is about the psychology, it's a mind game. I'm currently in marathon training, and there it's much more about will than effort. Keeping going is about convincing yourself to keep going.

The point about shoes is pretty prudent, although as a runner I'd generally consider using a running shop for their informed advice and then not following through to be pretty parasitic behaviour. Yes running shoes can be quite expensive, but buying them locally will mean that you can generally exchange them if you've made the wrong choice. Equally there might be a coaching club or similar.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I'm doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow.. Not looking forward to it!

Well done for getting so far, I started C25K last April and when I got to W5 D3 I thought there was no way I could go from the shorter runs to a full 20 mins but I did and the sense of accomplishment was brilliant, I even managed to find enough energy to do a little happy dance!

I still go for my 5K 4 or 5 times a week and still love it.

So good luck for tomorrow and well done and good luck for everyone else who is doing C25K

• BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. I've just started this week I've completed day 1 and day 2 but feel like they were trying to kill me. They didn't succeed I am continuing. and there are days (and weeks) I'll have to repeat but Im looking forward to it. :-) xx
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys! I'd never considered getting running shoes for this, all I did for cardio before was walk. I guess my beat down dr scholls aren't gonna cut it for this. Anyone know of a discount place to get shoes? I wanna do this, but no way do I have 100+ for a pair of shoes.

Go and get fitted for shoes, a professional will point out the issues you might have and set you up with a pair of shoes that will help prevent you getting injured. Please do not take up their time and advice then turn around and buy them from Amazon. Tell the person helping you what your budget is and they will show you shoes in that price range. My Fleet feet had two of the same name shoes (Nike Vomero 8) cut in half long ways, one from their store and one from "Kohls" and the difference in construction and quality was evident. The Cheaper Kohls shoe was not built the same as their shoe.

Remember to relax and try to enjoy your run, focus on the positive things like you are a runner now. Slow down your pace bears repeating, speed will come with time.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started it last week wasn't able to run so walked the 5k my quickest mile 14mins 11 seconds. I will be back again this week and intend to walk it but will try jog when I can. Hopefully in time I will be able to run the entire 5k but one step at a time. Most important thing is I am out trying and more importantly it is exercise all helping me to become healthier and fitter. Stick with it and good luck!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    sstolii123 wrote: »

Go and get fitted for shoes, a professional will point out the issues you might have and set you up with a pair of shoes that will help prevent you getting injured. Please do not take up their time and advice then turn around and buy them from Amazon. Tell the person helping you what your budget is and they will show you shoes in that price range. My Fleet feet had two of the same name shoes (Nike Vomero 8) cut in half long ways, one from their store and one from "Kohls" and the difference in construction and quality was evident. The Cheaper Kohls shoe was not built the same as their shoe.

Remember to relax and try to enjoy your run, focus on the positive things like you are a runner now. Slow down your pace bears repeating, speed will come with time.

THIS. Seems like using their service to get fitted, taking up their time, getting a recommendation from them, then refusing that offer by not spending your money there and buying them online from Amazon (older model or not) is a huge slap in the face.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are tiny stress fractures in your shins which is why you will need to ice them. Stretching your legs will help you with soreness.

What? No. Shin splints are caused by stress, but they are damage to soft tissue, not bone. Ice won't help bone problems. It *will* help reduce inflammation of soft tissue (muscles, tendons), which is what shin splints are.

Tight calf muscles can contribute to pain in the front of the shin and in the feet, so stretch your calf muscles.

Then I stand corrected. I guess I was told wrong information years ago. Should've done my research.

Actually you're both correct. It can be either a sign of damage to the bone or the surrounding soft tissue! Either way ice does help and don't run through the pain, you might cause more damage.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I just started this week as well, was only doing 5.0 on the running segments. I would rather start slow and progress through the system. I will worry about speed at a later time.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    teede3bee wrote: »
    What's the best way to stretch for shin splints?

I couldn't jog more than half a mile because I would get such bad shin splints. I went to get fitted for shoes because I was convinced it must be that. I did get new shoes, but I still get shin splints if I don't do this stretch that they showed me at the shoe store. Here is a video that goes over the stretch that I was shown! I don't use a foam roller, but I have used a small barbell and a large candle jar which both worked to massage my shins and calves for me. I hope it helps you because it has helped me work up to jogging over a 5k :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREWF6sLfU8
  • cstark00
    cstark00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished W2 D2 last night. It was a little easier to do because I knew what to expect and was ready for it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. My HR for W2 D1 was higher than it was last night. Interesting is my thought. Can't wait to try W2 D3!