how do i get started

Options
i am in need of advice please..today i start my journey to loose weight not sure where to begin,but what kind of exercise plan can i do to start?i am miserably inactive and do not really have a safe place to walk,so what basic exercise can i start with in my home?i have no support at home what so ever and i need to loose no less than 50 pounds hopeing to get to the point wher i do not need meds for high bp any advice i would be grateful for..

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Start in the kitchen

Start with weighing and logging your food and do not eat past your calorie defecit
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    When you set up your account here, you were already told how to lose weight: eat the caloric goal MFP gave you. Of course, use a reasonable weight loss goal, such as 1lb/week. If you exercise, which doesn't matter for weight loss, then log and eat back at least half of those calories. Log your food accurately (proper entries that are verified, weigh or at least measure everything) and you will lose weight. Exercise if you want to.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The US Government's guidelines are that for weight loss you should put in 10.5 hours of normal exercise or 5.25 hours of intense exercise every week. It isn't required to do that to lose weight, but it does help by providing various health benefits. Other than that, you just need to stick to the calorie level MFP gave you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OMG seriously you are telling a newbie that they need intense exercise for 5.25 hours a week as a starting point :shock: Seriously, I've seen you post some weird stuff, but this is ridiculous advice for an OP like that, did you even bother to read it?

Dianna - Start in the kitchen ...weigh your food and log it so you can stick to your defecit

Start to build in exercise when you are ready too, try nerdfitness.com and look at their bodyweight exercises for beginners for a good home work out ...., if you can find a gym start to lift heavy ...but build it up..the mental benefits of an exercise programme support your resolve to stick to your defecit and give you more calories to eat
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OMG seriously you are telling a newbie that they need intense exercise for 5.25 hours a week as a starting point :shock: Seriously, I've seen you post some weird stuff, but this is ridiculous advice for an OP like that, did you even bother to read it?

Dianna - Start in the kitchen ...weigh your food and log it so you can stick to your defecit

Start to build in exercise when you are ready too, try nerdfitness.com and look at their bodyweight exercises for beginners for a good home work out ...., if you can find a gym start to lift heavy ...but build it up..the mental benefits of an exercise programme support your resolve to stick to your defecit and give you more calories to eat
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

THANK YOU!!!! So glad I was not the only one questioning that advise :neutral_face:

Oh and I completely agree with this advise, nerdfitness.com is AMAZING!!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bathroom scales - to weigh you.
    Kitchen scales - to weigh your food
    Measuring cups - to measure your liquids
    Measuring tape - to measure you

Start there. Most folks already have most of those at home.

That, and some discipline/dedication and honesty is all you need to create the appropriate Caloric Deficit.

Exercise is not needed.

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for you. There are many places to get it. I am assuming at this point you do not want to join a gym. That is Ok. Walking is still one of the best starter exercises. Head to the nearest mall and walk the courts, perhaps a church will let you do laps in their fellowship hall. A large big box store like Walmart has room to walk. Aisles are great for adding miles.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You start one step at a time. It can be overwhelming to look at everything that will have to change by the end of the road, but that's because it's the end.

The beginning is to take one step: Start logging your food. You'll be the most accurate with a food scale for ALL solid foods, but until you can get one, measurements of any kind are way better than nothing at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In the kitchen. Weigh and measure everything, move more and eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    What i did when i hit 197lb
    Im 5'4 i cut my calorie down to 1400 start walking 30 minutes every night after my kid sleep on my treadmill 3.3 than amonth later start focusing on my micro and eat clean up my walk to 45 minutes 3.5 and of course cut suger down three month later i went from xxl to l pants size 16 to 12 just focu on calories and walk you will get there every day i feel better and stronger no gym no shakes no high intense crazy exercise just sample