Eating dinner late 7:00 - 8:30 pm ...is it bad

Options

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    fizzleh wrote: »
    You should generally not eat 4 hours before you sleep

This is not true. It doesn't matter how late you eat. It won't affect weight loss. As I just said in another thread, I always eat late. I just finished eating supper actually, and it's almost 10:00 p.m. where I am. Been doing this since I started almost 6 months ago, and I've lost 65 pounds. The only time it may be a problem is if you have a stomach issue like acid reflux that flares up if you eat to close to bed time. But in terms of weight loss, it makes no difference.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories or so right before bed. Every night. For 2 years. I like feeling full. Nothing bad has happened. No mysterious fat sneaking in. Eat when it works for you.
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

This is not true. It doesn't matter how late you eat. It won't affect weight loss. As I just said in another thread, I always eat late. I just finished eating supper actually, and it's almost 10:00 p.m. where I am. Been doing this since I started almost 6 months ago, and I've lost 65 pounds. The only time it may be a problem is if you have a stomach issue like acid reflux that flares up if you eat to close to bed time. But in terms of weight loss, it makes no difference.

wow ..this is great news ...thanks so much...
  • chezzac17
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories or so right before bed. Every night. For 2 years. I like feeling full. Nothing bad has happened. No mysterious fat sneaking in. Eat when it works for you.

again...thanks soooooooooooooo much.....
  • chezzac17
    Options
    jnv7594.......by the way congratulations.....!! that is a fantastic effort of weight loss...you should be proud of yourself ....
  • bolmb
    bolmb Posts: 3
    Options
    chezzac17 wrote: »
    when my husband cooks our dinner he always wants dinner late,and I like dinner early...but is it bad to eat later at night???

• bolmb
    Options
    jnv7594.......by the way congratulations.....!! that is a fantastic effort of weight loss...you should be proud of yourself ....

• bolmb
    Options
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat dinner at 10:00 at night sometimes. Unfortunately, we have opposite schedules and insist on eating dinner together. It's very important to us to have dinner together. Sometimes we eat at 6:00...it just depends when he's done with work. He's a server at a restaurant by our house and he's also a pharmacy technician for CVS. His hours are different every day. I however work 9am-5pm M-F...I wish we could eat at 6:00 every night, but it's not feasible. Just make responsible food choices, and I think you should be just fine...good luck to you on your journey! :)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Personally I prefer to eat my dinner later so that I'm nice & full and be satisfied enough not needing a snack before bed. :)
  • chezzac17
    Options
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    My husband and I eat dinner at 10:00 at night sometimes. Unfortunately, we have opposite schedules and insist on eating dinner together. It's very important to us to have dinner together. Sometimes we eat at 6:00...it just depends when he's done with work. He's a server at a restaurant by our house and he's also a pharmacy technician for CVS. His hours are different every day. I however work 9am-5pm M-F...I wish we could eat at 6:00 every night, but it's not feasible. Just make responsible food choices, and I think you should be just fine...good luck to you on your journey! :)

thanks mrsmay1986...the world we live in today is sooo different than it was ,and its the norm now to work odd hours ,nights & weekends..and you are right we have to adapt and work with it...food wise I mean.....lol......best wishes to you to on this journey of life....
  • chezzac17
    Options
    Personally I prefer to eat my dinner later so that I'm nice & full and be satisfied enough not needing a snack before bed. :)

Hi there...luv your reasoning,sure makes sense,,,cause when you do eat early ..you start to look for something else to eat later in the night hahaaaaa......thanks for the tips !
  • sammiburtenshaw1
    sammiburtenshaw1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when my husband cooks our dinner he always wants dinner late,and I like dinner early...but is it bad to eat later at night???

Ive always been told you shouldn't eat 3 hours before you go to bed, as the food will sit in your stomach and store as fat, because your not burning it off because you're sleeping!
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I figure animals in nature chow down and then go have a nap so it can't be so bad. There aren't a lot of fat wild animals. I usually eat more than half my daily calories between 7 PM and midnight and I've still lost weight.

Also food doesn't sit in your stomach when you sleep. Your body still digests. Once it's broken down it can be used to replenish glycogen, repair muscle, store as fat, maintain your brain and heart function while you sleep, etc. Your body doesn't shut down just because you aren't walking. It's still going strong. We almost never burn food real-time as we eat it unless you're doing some heavy endurance event and pounding glucose or MCTs.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're used to, eating at about 630 is right for me. Any earlier and I want to pick later but any later and I get over hungry then wake up starving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

why not?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always wonder who these people are and what they do that they can be done eating by 6 PM or whatever...hell, I'm still at the office half the time at 6 PM. Good thing you don't turn into a pumpkin or anything eating late...I eat at 8:30 - 9:00 pretty much every night going on a good 15 years now.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've noticed is if I stuff myself before bed, I wake up really hungry the next morning.
  • chezzac17
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I always wonder who these people are and what they do that they can be done eating by 6 PM or whatever...hell, I'm still at the office half the time at 6 PM. Good thing you don't turn into a pumpkin or anything eating late...I eat at 8:30 - 9:00 pretty much every night going on a good 15 years now.

hahaaaaaaaaaaa......your funny..thanks again guys....
  • chezzac17
    Options
    The only thing I've noticed is if I stuff myself before bed, I wake up really hungry the next morning.

yes that's true..