alcohol and calories

Options
so I didn't realize until entering it in to mfp that drinking has so many calories!!! I drank nearly 800 calories!! do I have to give up drinking? does anyone have any advice on how to be able to still enjoy alcohol without all that? :)

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    1. Do a search for the thousand other threads on this topic.
    2. Prelog it and work it in.
    3. Drink.
  • dafoe88
    dafoe88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you drink really. There are a couple studies that suggest when you drink your body basically works on those calories but stores all the other ones (which is why beer and wings diet will pack on the pounds in no time). I'll try to find the link and post it as it was a pretty interesting read.

For me persobally if I cut out the booze I lose weight pretty quickly without doing much else.

I also found an android app called get drunk not fat that puts drinks into perspective.

Though if you're looking to drink, vodka water is probably your best bet.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice when it comes to booze and calories. I switched from beer to whiskey haha.

If I can work it in my day, I'll go for it. If I can't, I don't. Of course, it took a lot of playing around with to figure out what I could live with.
  • erikajc1989
    Options
    dafoe88 wrote: »
    Depends on what you drink really. There are a couple studies that suggest when you drink your body basically works on those calories but stores all the other ones (which is why beer and wings diet will pack on the pounds in no time). I'll try to find the link and post it as it was a pretty interesting read.

For me persobally if I cut out the booze I lose weight pretty quickly without doing much else.

I also found an android app called get drunk not fat that puts drinks into perspective.

thanks! I tried to go sober, but I feel like if I did, I would only be doing it to lose weight, then once I did lose it I would just go back to my old ways and end up where I started, because that's exactly what happened last time lol. I only have about 35 lbs to lose, and I'm trying to do it without changing up my lifestyle too much so I can maintain :)
  • sjaplo
    Options

thanks! I tried to go sober, but I feel like if I did, I would only be doing it to lose weight, then once I did lose it I would just go back to my old ways and end up where I started, because that's exactly what happened last time lol. I only have about 35 lbs to lose, and I'm trying to do it without changing up my lifestyle too much so I can maintain :)

This, I believe, is the key.

• dafoe88
    edited January 2015
    Options

Good plan. Though it's not the worst idea to give the liver a break once in a while either.

Really you just have to be cautious of what it is you're drinking and then eating after. Some small changes may be to switch to light beer or instead of highballs with pop use water instead.

Here's a good read.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/11/26/alcohol-weight-loss/

don't get me wrong, I like booze as much as the next guy. But right now I need to lose a lot of weight and drinking just doesn't fit into the plan right now.

Good luck
  • turnercherrie
    Options
    Lowest kcal drink I've found is vodka soda and a wedge of lime only 70 kcals per measure of vodka
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Lite beer!!!!! We have found a witch, may we burn him???

If drinking doesn't fit now, how are you going to maintain when you go back to drinking?

This - on a minimum of 36oz per day of beer.

pdxiwsbt6gun.png
  • dafoe88
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Lite beer!!!!! We have found a witch, may we burn him???

If drinking doesn't fit now, how are you going to maintain when you go back to drinking?

This - on a minimum of 36oz per day of beer.

pdxiwsbt6gun.png

you can maintain. It's the losing part that doesn't work great for me. I need to lose as much as I can (properly) by may for a destination wedding. So for that reason im putting it aside. Im also in a contest at work.

I have room in my calorie intake now for it, but I choose not to. I'm not saying you can't do it but 800 cals for booze is alot.

I commend your progress. When im closer to my goal weight ill incorporate moderate drinking back in. Until then I choose not to.

Btw: light beer is garbage. It was just a suggestion.

CHEERS!

• jugjonesmfp
    jugjonesmfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the most important point is not to binge. Prelog your drinks before going out to a party and work those calories during your workout or eating schedule.

If you stick to 'n' drinks which you have prelogged, you can enjoy them without feeling guilty.

PS: Though I have not stopped drinking altogether during my weight loss process, I have certainly stopped 'getting drunk' since that gives way to the evils of binge eating.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's a very sad thing, but yes alcohol is loaded with calories and adds up quickly. What I do when I am out with friends is have a couple drinks at happy hour, I like vodka mixed with a low cal mixer such as soda water, and then with my meal I choose to drink water. It's important to pick and choose when you are going to have your drinks so you don't over do it!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Like anything else worth enjoying, you have to just budget some calories.
  • glassfern53
    glassfern53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This may sound ridiculous but I drink for the calming effect it has on me. What I started to do was drink on an empty stomach and it took far less alcohol to get me to that "calm" place. I'm not sure it's good for the stomach but, it worked for me.
  • swwalker3
    Options
    Hi, I'm *** and I'm an alcoholic. LoL but this is no laughing matter. I find myself spending 2-3 hours in the gym/ burning over 1500 calories everyday just so I can still drink… I would suggest giving it up asap! Nothing good comes from enabling yourself on the regular. I- for one- reward myself with working my butt to death in the gym with drinks at night. Still trying to elude that trap! Still sticking to my calorie goals to lose 35 lbs from a 260 start…just hope my liver is in for the game too. # Everything in moderation! #Support each other. I will overcome and you can too!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    What could you do that would restrict your alcohol intake now and keep it restricted in maintenance? What about only drinking at weekends? Only drinking socially and not alone? Changing what you drink? I think you've got to find something that's sustainable for you.

(I don't drink a lot, but I've found that alcohol does get in the way of my weight loss, so I really have to be careful. I've banned it for January, and found I'm actually getting out of the habit of drinking. I might continue to only indulge very occasionally).

Good luck!
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I swapped scotch& coke for scotch& soda, I actually like it better now
  • girlvsplanet
    girlvsplanet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you are used to drinking, but my boyfriend and I are VERY into craft beer, which can add up to a LOT of calories. We tend to split bottles of beer, which helps keep calories lower (you can find the estimated calories for almost any beer on ratebeer.com). Other than that, I just budget them in. Days I workout include more calories, and some of those are always used on beer. It's really just about fitting in the calories and making sure you count them. Try to find lower-calorie drinks where you can... vodka/diet is probably what I would go to if not drinking beer. Just count your calories and budget for them! It's definitely sustainable.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you drink at home, substitute simple syrup made with Splenda for the stuff made with sugar or mix drinks with diet soda. Some bars and restaurants are beginning to get the hint and offer lower calorie cocktails. It is very easy to drink 300-400 calories if you're not careful. I've cut back from 6 drinks a week to 4 and yeah, pre-logging is your friend.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find it's not the alcohol calories that mess with my weight loss, but the binge eating that comes from too much alcohol.