Beans & Rice

Options
Anyone have a quick & easy but tasty black beans & rice recipe?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/vegan-red-beans-rice/

I use this one, but sometimes I swap out the dried beans for canned if I'm in a hurry.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofcuba.com/morosycristianos.html

I love this "refried" bean recipe too http://www.parents.com/blogs/thrifty-frugal-mom/2013/05/28/the-thrifty-frugal-mom/tasty-tuesday-crockpot-refried-beans-saves-at-least-50/

I make them both in the crockpot. Usually 1 1/2 - 2 lbs at a time and then freeze them in 1lb cottage cheese containers. I usually get 5-8 containers depending on the number of dried beans I start with.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on the water content (if you need more add HOT water). I try to keep them just barely covered after the majority of the water soaks up so they are thicker.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kind of like everyone is saying already - I soak the black beans over night and cook, or use canned. Saute whatever bell peppers you like and onions in the bottom of a big pot, dump in the beans (canned or cooked), add cajun spices (very similar to the spices in the recipe that Laurend224 posted above), garlic, a can or two of diced tomatoes (with juice), and simmer. We add beer/broth/water if it needs it. I also like to throw in some chicken andouille.
  • phungpat
    Options
    http://www.tasteofcuba.com/morosycristianos.html

I love this "refried" bean recipe too http://www.parents.com/blogs/thrifty-frugal-mom/2013/05/28/the-thrifty-frugal-mom/tasty-tuesday-crockpot-refried-beans-saves-at-least-50/

I make them both in the crockpot. Usually 1 1/2 - 2 lbs at a time and then freeze them in 1lb cottage cheese containers. I usually get 5-8 containers depending on the number of dried beans I start with.

^^^This looks great. I love refried beans but usually avoid because the canned are generally high in sodium. Making from scratch seems like a great alternative. Thanks for sharing!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have to limit my grains so I've been putting my beans on a bed of kale sauteed with onions and garlic.

Black beans I make just like chili, obviously with all beans and no meat. Onions, green peppers, canned tomatoes and chili powder. I like spice but not hot spices. I'm not worried about sodium so I'll get canned pre-seasoned ones when short on time.

I used to crock pot them after soaking overnight, but I've recently been told that to limit the "aftereffects" of eating beans, boil twice, rinsing and refilling the pot, before the final cooking with the veggies. So I'm going to try that next time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    white rice
    black beans on top
    diced onion
    TBSP greek yogurt/sour cream
    S/P
    done.
    delicious. I love it.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Thanks folks. I'll try them all. They look delish.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Rice, black beans, avocado, salsa (or pico de gallo, which is easily made fresh with diced tomato, onion, lime, and coriander), and a little cilantro. Throw a little sour cream on top if you like, or add meat. It's not a science, just an easy mixed dish.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    I tried the black beans, brown rice, chicken broth, canned tomatoes (from garden), salsa, onion, garlic and low fat sour cream, sprinkled with sharp cheddar. I'm hooked at around 322 calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try allrecipes.com

They have recipes for everything.

I don't have a recipe, but add all kind of thing to beans...things people would never think of. If it's in the fridge, I can probably throw it into the beans, lol. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I make a soup first (and then store half of it for later) and then make beans and rice.

Soup:
    Sautee some onions and garlic (jalepeno?)
    Add in cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper
    dump in a can of rinsed black beans
    dump in a can of rinsed corn
    cook for about 5 minutes til heated through
    dump in a can of stewed tomatoes
    Add in 3 cans of corn worth of water
    bring to boil
    Reduce heat then let cook for roughly 30~ minutes

i take half out and eat it as soup for the rest of the week.

with the remainder i cook some white rice and let it continue on medium heat until it's reduced. It usually finishes around the same time as the rice.

Dump in the rice and mix up. This will be like delicious beans and rice and NOT soup over rice.

top that shiz with cheese or a dollop of sour cream.

Also, this makes about 4 servings. 2 soup, 2 beans and rice. You could just make it 4 servings of beans and rice and eat it as leftovers. It tastes great over the next few days.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    I wish MFP had a "like button". All the inputs deserve a like.