Anyone else?

Options
I am losing so slowly that I keep getting discouraged. I keep on keeping on, but going into the success stories area kind of sucks when I see that they all have lost so much faster than I have.

I hit 18 lbs lost this morning, but I started at the beginning of October.

SW: 250
Height: 5'4"
CW: 232
GW: 130

My goal on not exercise days is 1420 kcal and around 1630 on gym days. I drink my water, I keep my activity varied.

Anyone else losing slowly? How do you keep on keeping on, so to speak?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That still comes out to over a pound a week, so you're doing fine. Just remember that you didn't put the weight on quickly, so it's not going to come off quickly.
  • StephSixtos
    StephSixtos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great! Having motivation is part of this journey and sometimes we lose it. Just remember why you started! Setting small goals is always better than looking at the big picture. Great job so far! JUST KEEP GOING AND DON'T GIVE UP :)
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    your rate of loss definitely seems low considering your current weight. can I suggest upping your calories? according to MFP your BMR is 1757 if you're 30, if you're younger it will be higher, lower if you're older. that means you're consistently eating under your BMR and some people don't do well with that kind of plan. also, are you measuring your food with a scale and logging absolutely everything that goes into your mouth? if not, now would be a good time to start. if you're not measuring you could be overestimating by quite a lot.
  • dblanch2013
    Options
    SW: 156
    Height: 5'8
    CW: 125
    Goal Weight: This or maybe a few pounds less, doesn't matter.

It takes a long time to lose weight. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but if you do it correctly, slow and steady will work and it will STAY off, which is more important than quick progress.

I got antsy in the beginning too, but kept at it. 18 pounds in a few months is awesome, I think! Keep going!

I was at a lower beginning weight, so not sure if that made a difference, but it took me about a year and a half to lose 30 pounds. I did have cheat meals. I wanted it to be a lifestyle change, not a "diet". I try to live 80/20. Eat clean and healthy and low calories 80% of the time, but if I am craving something or celebrating, etc., I don't worry about it too much. I also worked out hard. That took time too, a year and a half. I started from being sedentary for years to working out about five days a week with intense cardio and weight training. Push yourself.

If you want to see more progress, than maybe try not eating back your calories on gym days? That might create the boost you need? Also, I try to eat a little leaner some days of the week and have a few indulgent meals occasionally throughout the week. And if I feel guilty, I work out harder.

Don't give up. Even if takes two or three years, it will be worth it, and the changes will continue to be noticed and enjoyed, so you will feel success as you go.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    your rate of loss definitely seems low considering your current weight. can I suggest upping your calories? according to MFP your BMR is 1757 if you're 30, if you're younger it will be higher, lower if you're older. that means you're consistently eating under your BMR and some people don't do well with that kind of plan. also, are you measuring your food with a scale and logging absolutely everything that goes into your mouth? if not, now would be a good time to start. if you're not measuring you could be overestimating by quite a lot.

There's no harm in eating below your BMR. The less you exercise, the more below your BMR you'll have to eat to lose weight. But if you put in significant exercise, you can eat more and still maintain a good deficit.
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am losing slowly but kind of on purpose. I want this to be a sustainable lifestyle change so I'm only set to 1/2 lb per week. Plus I don't do well on major calorie deficits. Just think how this is better than the alternative, gaining weight. I'm pretty happy each week that the scale goes down.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i am losing slowly... i have been on here two years and only lost 50.. i have gained some of that back.. i keep on going because i will succeed... i have fallen off "the wagon" several times.. don't be to discouraged... remember you only fail if you don't try...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is fantastic. Keep up the great work!
  • fablizy
    fablizy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am just curious what your calories consist of?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Anyone else losing slowly? How do you keep on keeping on, so to speak?

I think you have done very well for that time period.
    I started in mid October and have lost 13.5 lbs. I'm happy with my rate of progress. I am losing in a way I feel I can sustain long term.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 25lbs since JULY. People need to stop expecting that weight loss should be like 10lbs a week, this does not yield a healthy mindset.
  • barefootcassie
    barefootcassie Posts: 27 Member
    Options

There's no harm in eating below your BMR. The less you exercise, the more below your BMR you'll have to eat to lose weight. But if you put in significant exercise, you can eat more and still maintain a good deficit.

I started out eating in the 1700 range (I'm 35) and the scale was going up and not down. So, I have been lowering the number by 100 every 3 weeks or so.

I go to the gym 3-4 days a week for about an hour a time. I walk on a 7-10 incline for 2 miles then do weights.

As for what my food is consisting of every bite is measured and weighed. I love veggies so I eat tons of them. I do a major food prep every Sunday.

I usually have a veggie omlette for breakfast, chicken or fish for lunch with veggies, and tonight for dinner is chili with beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and pumpkin in it with a salad and I usually only drink water but will treat myself to coke every couple of weeks. A glass of wine if I have extra calories. I don't like sweets so I don't eat those.

I do need to move more. I have a fitbit and some days it takes calories away from me because I have not moved enough to fit into my range.