complicated migraine sufferers ... do any homeopathic tricks work for you?

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Since I had a stroke-like migraine two years ago, I've been taken off all the effective migraine medicine, including my favorite, Relpax. I am stuck with narcotics and Cambia, which is not doing much.

I thought I'd see if you guys had any ideas to use in conjunction with those meds - or maybe in place of them.

Disclaimer: In no way am I whining. I know many of you probably suffer way more than I ever have. But migraines - especially the aura - do absolutely, completely, totally suck. TIA! xo

Replies

• LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was once told to stand in very cold water as it supposedly draws the blood/heat from your head. I haven't managed to try it yet. Normally when I am out with a migraine I don't really feel like moving, never mind standing in cold water!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    oh gosh yes - that sounds like torture right about now. :/ But it is homeopathic, lol ...
    -
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Water, lots of water. That is what works for mine.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Here is a trick I learned a long time ago. As a matter of fact, my son still uses this trick when he feels a migraine coming on. Thankfully I haven't suffered a migraine in a long time, but mine, when I do get them, are the wake up in the middle of night with a full blown migraine (cue the non-stop vomiting every 15 minutes for about 6 hours straight) type.

Anyway, here's the trick: when you feel the beginning of a migraine at the onset of an aura or wavy lines, whichever indicates a migraine is imminent, grab a paper bag. Cover your mouth securely with the paper bag and slowly breathe 10 breaths in and out through your mouth. Yes, you're blowing your breath into the bag and breathing that same air back in. Take way the bag and take 10 slow breaths with fresh air. Repeat until the aura recedes or wavy lines stop. Usually when I've done that on the rare occasions a migraine came during the day, the worst I ended up with was a mild headache. My son swears by this method, unless of course if he wakes up with a fullblown migraine. It doesn't work then.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    interesting - I will try! I'm sorry for those awful migraines and that your son has inherited them. My middle child gets them - it makes me sad. But paper bag breathing ... I can definitely try that!
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Instead of standing in cold water, I've had good luck with a flexible gel ice pack at the back of my head. It's sort of torture, but it works.

I take a couple of magnesium pills, advil with coke/coffee or excedrin with juice then grab the ice pack, stumble to my bed, put on a blackout blindfold and lie down with the ice pack. If I'm lucky, I'm unconscious for about 45 minutes to an hour, then wake up feeling better.
  • Sdrotty
    Sdrotty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I manage to get by with some caffine, a pain reliever, Aveda blue oil rubbed on my forehead(or just peppermint oil) and a room as dark as I can get it.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Migraines are heredity in my family, my grandma passed it to my mom, who passed it to me and my brother. I passed them to both my sons. My grandma had to take some kind of pill every day before she got out of bed because she woke up everyday with a headache and if she didn't take the pill it turned into a raging migraine.

When I developed celiac disease because of thyroid disease, I had to completely cut out gluten which resulted in my migraines being greatly reduced. I've maybe had two in the last 2+ years.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Migraines have been linked to allergies. And aspartame is indicated too.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You can try Epsom salts baths. Epsom salts are magnesium chloride crystals and, if you are deficient in magnesium (many migraine sufferers are) you will absorb the magnesium chloride through your skin. You get the water as hot as you can stand it and add about two cups of Epsom salts (available at most pharmacies and also Walmart). A fifteen minute soak and you are ready to be poured into bed for the night--very, very relaxing (and much more pleasant that putting your feet in cold water). :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    p.s. It is important that you never take Epsom salts orally.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    No. Sorry. I have managed to get control of my migraines by finding and minimizing my triggers. I switched up my diet, and went from having 3 a week, (pretty much a constant headache) to having one every few months. The only thing I really can't control are the scent induced ones. Perfume, cigarettes smoke etc.

No prescription medication has ever worked for me either. I also stopped taking excedrin, as they caused me rebound headaches.

Migraines run in my family too. My 6 and 9 year old get them too. I hope it skips the baby.
  • BethLiam1
    BethLiam1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soon as I feel one i use peppermint oil.. On my temples back of neck and forehead.. Sometimes it makes them bearable other times if its severe i find a dark room
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i take a feverfew tablet every day and my migraines have waned (i have been hospitalized for them, so i know how you feel!). i also think that my diet and exercise lifestyle change has helped tons. peppermint tea, too!
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm also plagued by migraines that are often accompanied by nasty neurological side effects. Since I can't take any of the traditional abortive meds my go-to has become a cocktail of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, an anti-emetic (eg. Gravol) and an anti-histamine (e.g. Benedryl) taken at the first inkling of one setting in. If possible, I also lie down with an ice pack on my neck and try to rest. It doesn't always work, but it can sometimes keep my migraine from getting to the point where narcotics are needed. Good luck!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I had forgotten about peppermint oil. A friend put some of that on my head after working our Relay for Life all night long and it was remarkable! I will look into that. Antihistamine for migraine ... will read about that too. Lots of great ideas here. Link to gluten? Hmm... I wish you all happy heads this week. Thx for your thoughts tonight!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Homeopathy is nonsense but there are alternative medicines that have some evidence behind them - magnesium, feverfew, and butterbur are some. They are generally taken as preventatives in order to be the most effective. If you're having a lot of migraines, prescription preventatives may benefit you. There are a number that are available for complicated migraines.

As for acute treatments, some doctors will still allow you relpax, etc. And some won't. I can't have them anymore either. Like someone above, my cocktail is a painkiller + zofran (antiemetic) + high dose antihistamine. Others do well with Reglan (which is also an antiemetic but can also stop the migraine for some)/motilium, or Phenergan (antiemetic and antihistamine). Narcotics have a high risk of rebound migraines so I use them as a last resort. By then I'm in the hospital anyway and just letting them pump with with whatever they want :)
  • atticus84
    atticus84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate migraines. What I find that will help or at least keep my mind off the pain, is to sit in the tub and have the shower on my head. Do some breathing exercises and just relax. I also take an imitrex.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    You're in the hospital now? Hope you're okay!

Incidentally, I blame BC pills for my downward spiral with complicated migraines. I ended up in the hospital when I thought (and my kids thought) I had had a stroke. Crawled to the phone, couldn't speak or I should say communicate my thoughts. Falling to the left, sky high BP, etc etc ... neuro doc said BC pills were exacerbating the prob. As soon as got off them, the frequency of my migraines plummeted. Wonderful! But that was same appointment when he explained that vaso constrictors (sp?) were no longer an option for me. So anyway ... BC pills could be real trouble!
  • MalloryTA
    MalloryTA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of a Candida Cleanse? Googling it will give you more info than you could ever ask for but in short, it's an overgrowth of yeast in your digestive track. It can be responsible for a plethora of symptoms that often get blamed on something else. My husband suffered from chronic headaches (almost daily) and after just one Candida Cleanse his headaches are gone. It's been over a year now and he's never felt better. Hope you can find some relief!