How do you stay motivated?

Options
Just wondering what tricks you use to stay motivated?

Replies

• Moiz_SK
    Moiz_SK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have vivid goals & definiteness in my plans. Know exactly how much bf % you want, when you want it & what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Write it down because then psychologically you follow it because you have to be consistent with your own words. - Dr. Robert Cialdini
  • lovejasmine12
    lovejasmine12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by always thinking before acting on my impulses and cravings. I have had such a roller coaster ride with my weight, and so far haven't taken any diet seriously until it just recently hit me that I am getting older and I have never stuck to my word about becoming healthier. Before I make a choice in my daily diet I always think, in 6 months, I will thank myself or regret my next move. It's up to you to want it and to overcome.
  • ForBaacon
    ForBaacon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by looking at how far I've come in 10 years (I used to weight 14 stone (196lbs)) and thinking, if I've made it this far and lost this much weight, the last 10 lbs should be no problem.

I also stalk peoples fitness instagrams because if everyone else in the world can get to their goals, I have no excuse.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Knowing why I want it. Then I repeat that to myself over and over.
    That and MFP - super helps!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I stay decided, not motivated. I am too damn moody to allow my random mood of the moment to control my actions. My decision to do something is a lot more reliable.
  • peblesboop
    peblesboop Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    what motivates me is having the support and accountability from fitness groups. Knowing that if I slip up once in a while or I don't feel like working out they give me the lick in the butt i need to get back on tract. i sent you a friends request if you would like me to motivate and support you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am not always motivated, but I do it anyway. Exercising while grumpy is still exercising. Staying within my caloric allotment for the week is sometimes a fun challenge, and other times super dull. I do it regardless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's not about motivation, it's about developing healthful habits. Motivation is a fleeting thing...nobody is motivated 100% of the time...that's when habit takes over

Also, don't think of your fitness and rocking your nutrition as this extra thing you're doing...you have to get over that...it has to become something you just do. I'm almost never motivated to do the dishes or vacuum the house...but these things need doing so I do them...they aren't some weird extra thing in my life, they're simply things that need to get done.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's not about motivation, it's about developing healthful habits. Motivation is a fleeting thing...nobody is motivated 100% of the time...that's when habit takes over

Also, don't think of your fitness and rocking your nutrition as this extra thing you're doing...you have to get over that...it has to become something you just do. I'm almost never motivated to do the dishes or vacuum the house...but these things need doing so I do them...they are some weird extra thing, they're simply things that need to get done.

Yeah that is what I was trying to say. Its like brushing my teeth/paying bills/doing laundry. I just do it.

• flowers1907
    Options
    Great point! And just what I needed to hear! Thanks!
    I'm just starting but have the burden of giving up another habit at the same time. However you couldn't be more right that you stay healthy as if it's something you just do out of habit and not see it as something " extra " but a part of you and your life. Thanks again!
    That really is an important point! It will definitely! Help me on my journey!!! I wish you the best too! Sincerely , a Rosemary.
  • amy96amy
    amy96amy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My mantra has been, "Eat to live, not live to eat. " I heard someone say that years ago, but never understood it completely until I started seeing changes. Not just changes in my weight, but also in how I'm feeling physically and emotionally.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    be goal orientated...don't expect motivation from anyone but yourself...there is no trick...you want it, go get it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Keep your eyes on the prize.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Other people stated similar to this:
    I stay decided, not motivated. I am too damn moody to allow my random mood of the moment to control my actions. My decision to do something is a lot more reliable.
    I love that. Thanks for sharing.

I read a blog about being dedicated vs. being motivated, and it really spoke to me. I am trying to shift my thinking to be more along those beliefs.
  • ArdieAgain
    ArdieAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In my case I added myself to an MFP group on Facebook and added a handful of friends in here from there... Gotta keep up for my new cheering squad!
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    I am grateful that my boss put our department on fitness teams! I discovered that I am more externally motivated than internally. I am becoming fit while earning points for my team. I just wonder what will happen when the contest is over!
  • vbianca2728
    Options
    I stay motivated by looking at old "bigger" pics of myself on my phone as a reminder where I used to be. It's still an uphill battle but it's possible.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I am dedicated to wellness so motivation isn't an issue any longer, it's just a part of who I am.
  • a_hood89
    a_hood89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Before I make a choice in my daily diet I always think, in 6 months, I will thank myself or regret my next move. It's up to you to want it and to overcome.

I love this!!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My fitbit keeps me moving and motivated.