Sort of confused.

Options
Ok I read the discussion post, but I am still confused a bit. Two questions.

1. My total calorie goal set by MFP automatically creates a deficit?
2. Do I need to eat back calories burned off? For instance, should I have calories remaining?

Background: 5'4, 142lbs, I work out at least 3-4 days a week, I am in school (nursing so a fair amount of walking), nd I work a 32 desk job. According to MFP I my goal intake in 1700 (which I bumped down to 1450 for a weight loss of 1.5-2lbs per week)

I went from 143-140.8 back to 142. I'm not sure if the scale is off or if I'm just doing this all wrong.

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. make sure you measure and weigh everything. weigh all dry ingredients on a food scale except spices.

2. Eat back some of your exercise calories but not all because mfp can overestimate your burn and often does.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to answer your question is to tell you what I do since we're fairly similar in body/activity.

I'm 5'4" and 147lbs working out 4-5 days a week and I have a 45/hour a week desk job. For my MFP goals I set it to sedentary with a goal to lose .5lb a week and to work out at least 3 times a week for 45 minutes. MFP gives me 1450 calories per day, but more after I've entered in my workouts. For the most part I try to stick around 1450, even on workout days because my workouts usually never burn more than 300 calories and I know that I have a tendency to go over a little on the weekends. So far, this has been working really well for me.

As far as weighing yourself, are you doing it at the same time on the same day of every week?
  • getfitstayfit90
    getfitstayfit90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No, I have been randomly weighing my self.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it creates a deficit...or it's supposed to. Assuming you're otherwise healthy, it should work.

Yes, you're supposed to eat those extra calories gained through exercise. A lot of people think MFP is overly ambitious with those totals burned, so they eat half of them or some other percentage. Try eating half and see how it goes.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself naked in the morning after you pee.
    Always weigh yourself at the same time on the same scale.
  • getfitstayfit90
    Options
    I'm wondering if I gained 2lbs of muscle? I have been doing some serious strength training.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I gained 2lbs of muscle? I have been doing some serious strength training.

Miley-haha-no.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yes an automatic deficit is built in. Yes, MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories. Keep in mind that MFP burns are usually high, so most eat back only a portion of the burn to compensate for miscalculations.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    I heard that muscle can also hold some water when its sore, which might cause the scale to go up. Not sure if that's an old wives tale, but...maybe?
  • getfitstayfit90
    Options
    I input based on my cal burned on my HRmonitor.
  • getfitstayfit90
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Miley-haha-no.gif

HaHa seriously. B)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Miley-haha-no.gif
    Ahh, it's not that easy to build muscle.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Its likely water weight. Doms are painful in more ways than one and if you sprain something just don't look at the scale for a few days. Swear my weight went up 5 lbs in a day the time I sprained my knees.
  • getfitstayfit90
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Miley-haha-no.gif
    Ahh, it's not that easy to build muscle.

I know, but I was already sort of muscular and the muscle definition in my legs, glutes and claves have changed.