What's more important - cardio or weight training?

Options
I'm very overweight and very out of shape. I try to do cardio 3 times a week and weight training twice. I do between 20 and 35 minutes on the treadmill and 10 or 15 minutes on the elliptical on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I do various weights Tuesday and Thursday. I know that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns while resting, but is it more important to lift weights or to walk/run/bike? I obviously want to tone up so I know I need to lift weights but I've read a few posts that say cardio isn't really worth it. Am I wasting my time?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think if you are that out of shape and feel you have that much weight to lose then both are equally important for you right now. So keep up the good work!

You can also throw in some body weight strength moves say between your treadmill and elliptical throw in a set of push-up, sit-ups and squats or lunges. while your heart rate is already up is a great time to get those muscles in the game.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. As far as building muscle, you build muscle by doing cardio also, but it happens more gradually. Cardio strengthens your heart and does more to lower your blood pressure.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Both are necessary for overall fitness.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Both, they do different things, both of them are desirable and complement each other.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do a bit of both.
    Monday till Saturday about 60 minutes cardio ( so 6 times a week)
    And Next to that on Mo, Wed, and Friday 30 minutes light lifting.

The getting fit is more important at this moment for me. But i know i want to tone up later on. So when i move towards my goal weight i want to make the lifting a priority and cardio for fun and get/stay fit.

I am a believer that you cant really gain muscle or build muscle when you want to lose weight. But to get in the habit and with a certain goal in my mind i started the light lifting next to my cardio. To get used to it and for the fun of it.
    I have planned my weight loss journey and set my goals. And this is how i try/will succeed.

I think its very personal what your want or want to do and accomplish.
    The weight loss is 99% about calorie intake vs calories burned.
    The exercising is for getting fit and toned.

In my humble opinion.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    i think you need to do both. I started working with my trainer 18 months ago. We do a combination of cardio, strength training and core work. I work with her two days per week. On the other 3-4 days per week, I'm in the gym mainly doing cardio.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'll say resistance training, not necessarily involving weights, is more important. For the best of both worlds, do calisthenics aka bodyweight exercise. If you can do burpees without being more out of breath than if you went for a run, then you are doing it wrong LOL. Done correctly, resistance training can elevate your heart rate just like cardio, but you're also maintaining muscle while losing weight. If you're doing weights, don't take breaks - just do circuit training so that your heart rate stays up, you aren't taking breaks, but you still get rest between sets for different body parts.

Cardio is great for your overall health, and I've been known to go for a 5-10 mile run/walk when I have extra time, but strength training is much better for maintaining a nice body composition. You could accomplish the same thing as cardio, as far as weight loss and not heart health, by just eating less.

If you do start doing cardio, take it slowly and build up gradually. Shin splints really suck, and you won't feel them until a day or two later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular exercise for you cardiovascular health, resistance training for strength, preservation of muscle mass, improved bone density (and numerous other things), and eat less to lose weight.

They're both very important to your overall fitness.
  • StephMDtoo
    StephMDtoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you needed to pick one over the other due to a time crunch or harried week, pick weights. Building and maintaining healthy muscle tissue is not just helpful when it comes to burning more calories at rest. Muscle mass also keeps bones strong, and over time wards off bone problems like osteoporosis. This is important, since being a woman puts you at a bigger risk. Muscles also help keep your circulatory system functioning better. When they contract and relax, they assist in blood flow back to the heart.
    Yes, you totally should be doing both in an ideal situation. Just saying that if you can't fit it all in sometimes, weight lifting is probably the best choice.
  • slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Diet is most important... then whatever you prefer to do.
  • 50_to_lose
    50_to_lose Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    cardio or weights? quite simply it depends how overweight you are. When I was around the 300 lb mark my trainer would, in an hour session, split it 40mins cardio 20 mins weights but as I lost weight the cardio reduced but intensified and the weight lifting sessions became longer. Also the cardio and weights would be mixed for example 5 mins of cardio then lift weights, repeat. Using this method and a healthy diet helped me to shed about 40 lbs in around 4-5 months.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They recommend both. You can add more cardio if you want to burn more fat. :)

Cardio isn't just helpful for losing weight, either. It's good for your cardiovascular system, hence the name. People who skip cardio (or lifting weights) have made their choice and it is to be respected, but from a health perspective, both are recommended.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Both. Although I focus mostly on weights, I still toss some cardio in there a couple of times a week.
  • msbrittanyhelene
    msbrittanyhelene Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are really educated! Thank you! Another question: is it okay to do a little bit of both EVERY day? If I wanted to maybe walk/jog/run on the treadmill for 30 minutes and then lift weights Monday through Friday would that be too much on my body? I know it's MY body and only I know how much I can take, but is it okay to do that much daily?
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can certainly do them in the same workout. But, if you're going to do that, I suggest doing the cardio after lifting. It really depends on your goals. Your desired goals will dictate what kind of physical training you would do best to follow. For general health, doing a circuit of resistance exercises at a moderate to light exertion level, followed by a light to moderate steady cardio session, like you suggested, would be fine - especially as an introductory fitness routine. If you are interested in a more aggressive or focused lifting approach, however, then typically a three day per week routine is best - especially for a novice or beginner. In that case, a day of rest in between lifting sessions is essential - a couple days or more if you are older

Without any more information than your first post, I would probably suggest reversing your cardio to lifting sequence. That is, lift three days and do cardio for two. A full body routine of compound lifts on MWF, and a cardio session Tu and Th. Then give yourself a full two days of rest on the weekends. That's a pretty common routine, and with good nutrition and proper execution, can produce amazing results
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Best answer I ever saw on here to that question was a couple of years back. The girl said " I do cardio so I can drink wine. I lift weights so I look good doing it". Love that answer!

Both are good for your health. Generally cardio is going to burn more calories while you are going the activity and strength work is going to help you retain muscle while you are losing.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Both are good but it's mostly finding something you enjoy and sticking to it. Mind I hate sit ups and crunches but I'll do them for my mma class as I enjoy the rest.