Intermittent Fasting - what has your experience been

Options
I go through phases where I still to it - and then alter my diet off of IF. I am doing a modified version right now:

7:00am 2 eggs OR protein shake / supplements

12:00 noon Crossfit

1:30pm Lunch

3:30pm Snack

6:00pm dinner

8:00pm snack (apple or mixed nuts)

True IF I would not eat anything noon the morning and all my food would be consumed between noon and 7:00-8:00pm. I have to have something in my stomach in the morning so i can take my supplements - which I have quite a bit.

I really like IF. It works. Every time I stick to it I can see fat melting off and abs start being more defined. I think what really helps the fat burning is exercising on an empty stomach just before lunch meal. That really taps into the fat stores to be used for energy.

For those that have tried is what has your experience been? What kind of routine did you do?

Replies

• mfahlberg824
    mfahlberg824 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IF has been great for me when I'm not PMSing or ovulating, sorry for the TMI. So basically two weeks of the month it's amazing because I actually feel full the entire day and for the other two weeks by the time 11-12 comes around I'm absolutely ravenous and end up overeating later in the day. I would recommend it for men and recommend it for women too but more cautiously based on my experience!
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5:2 plan, which is a form of IF. I have 500 cal on Mon & Thur, and my TDEE (1550 cal) on all other days. I have found that being able to have that little bit extra 5 days a week (plus more if I exercise) makes this much more sustainable for me. What I love is that I have no trouble resisting tempting foods on my low-cal days, because I know that (most of the time) it'll be there tomorrow and I can have it then when my calories will allow for it. Also, I don't have any problems with feeling weak or cranky on my 500 calorie days. A little bit hungry sometimes, yes, but nothing intolerable.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day modified (500 calorie) fasting for 3 months late last year. It was a good experience. l don't have much to lose but lost about 6 lbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It looks like the only time you are fasting is when you are asleep!
    Is there a reason you can't you take your "supplements" later in the day?

As to your question - I do a different form of IF and have found it to be a great tool to easily adhere to my weekly calorie goal both when losing and maintaining weight.
    Also noticed big and positive differences in hunger signals and endurance exercise performance.

What really helps fat burning is a calorie deficit.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Tried 16:8 for a few weeks, hated it, and haven't tried again. I just don't think it fits my lifestyle.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am on the 8 hour. Everything eaten must be in an 8 hour time frame. Personal preference. Works well with weight loss for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do alternate day fasting. I've lost 11kgs ( 24lbs ) in 3mths. I eat up to my tdee one day, then 500 the next. I've got 4kgs left to lose till I hit my goal weight. And it's hanging on for dear life! Lol
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It looks like the only time you are fasting is when you are asleep!
    Is there a reason you can't you take your "supplements" later in the day?

As to your question - I do a different form of IF and have found it to be a great tool to easily adhere to my weekly calorie goal both when losing and maintaining weight.
    Also noticed big and positive differences in hunger signals and endurance exercise performance.

What really helps fat burning is a calorie deficit.

Thanks for responding!

I am up from 6:00am until 11:30 pm - so 90% of what I eat is between 1:00pm and 8:00pm - give or take a bit. Trying to concentrate all my calories in 7 hours.

Reason for taking supplements in the morning - MEMORY. I keep forgetting. i know its ridiculous but I remember every morning so I take them with a little food.

I do believe that the exercise while IF helps burn fat specifically. Of course calorie restrictions can as well - in addition to lean body mass (muscle).
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Saw this piece in the Times and started keeping my intake to 12 hours, a very mild IF. I'm getting used to it; will eventually try for 8/16 . Too early in the process for results.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/01/15/a-12-hour-window-for-a-healthy-weight/
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i do 18:6 fast:feast. i love it. i have been doing it for years (minus a few months when i was going through some health issues.) i work-out fasted and feel that i get alot more out of my work-outs that way. my schedule (just in case you're wondering)

6:00 a.m. - up for the day, take hormone meds w/ water
    10:00 a.m. - BCAA
    10:30/11:00'ish - gym
    12:00 noon either break my fast or more BCAA
    if i break my fast, i will eat my lunch; protein, veggies
    5:30-6:00 p.m. - dinner
    i do not consume any calories between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 noon the following day. today was an exception, i couldn't eat lunch until 2:00 p.m. because i had to pick-up my daughter from a play-date, so i can either eat until 8:00 p.m. tonight, or have a shorter feast window. (i will probably still stop eating at 6:00 p.m. and give myself a longer fast for the day...)

about once a week, i do a 24-hour fast. i will have breakfast around 8:00 a.m. then not eat again until 8:00 a.m. the following day. i typically do that on saturday to sunday.

the reason i started is for mental health reasons, and i can honestly say, it helps me SO MUCH. i see huge differences. my anxiety increases when i'm not IF'ing. i have lost a little weight, but honestly, i'm not doing it for the weight loss. IF is not a diet; it's a lifestyle. i am mentally more alert, i have more energy and i am able to much easier stay within my daily calorie goals.

FWIW, your current regime isn't IF'ing. other than while sleeping, your longest fast is about 6 hours. that is not nearly enough to reap the benefits. you can ease into longer fasts, but my goal is to eventually have a 4-hour feasting window. i went from 16:8 to 18:6 and i'm hoping to be 20:4 by year's end.

good luck to you :smile:
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Appreciate all the info!

What I do is certainly a modified version of IF. Between 7:00-8:00pm and 1:00pm the next day I take in around 170 calories for the reason given. I realize that strict IF I would be taking in zero calories and I have done that before. I believe there I am still reaping some benefits compared to those eating scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast, and a tall glass of OJ - and then a bag of chips for a snack at 10:00am.

Great info - thanks so much for sharing.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    Appreciate all the info!

What I do is certainly a modified version of IF. Between 7:00-8:00pm and 1:00pm the next day I take in around 170 calories for the reason given. I realize that strict IF I would be taking in zero calories and I have done that before. I believe there I am still reaping some benefits compared to those eating scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast, and a tall glass of OJ - and then a bag of chips for a snack at 10:00am.

Great info - thanks so much for sharing.

oh, i agree with you that what you are doing is "better" than the alternative of what you used to do or what you "could" do. :smile:
    i went through a period where i "had" to eat breakfast or i would nearly pass-out. i never thought IF could be for me. i adapted to it, and now on days when i do eat breakfast, i feel kind of off almost! LOL

one of the main reasons i love IF is because it has really taught me about my body. when i used to think i was HUNGRY, i don't think i ever really truly experienced hunger before. (and still haven't........) i love the 24-hour fast when i can concentrate on giving to others, or being still and listening to my body. instead of focusing on myself, my appetite and ME, i can put everything outward. like i said, to me, it's way more of a lifestyle and really has transformed me in many ways besides in areas of food. i also drink more water, which is important for good health. i used to seriously not drink any water. i would go days without having water (of course would have juice or other liquids, but HATED water) IF'ing has really opened up the doors to me to other means of hydration and nutrition. it might not be for everyone, but i think everyone should at least try it. :smile: