Getting the hang of IIFYM

Options
Hi all, I'm new to IIFYM. Seems like a solid, reasonable concept, but I'm having difficulties balancing out my macros. If I meet my protein goal, I'm way under fiber and I'm pretty much always over on carbs. Does anyone have any helpful hints or favorite meals to help meet macros? Thanks!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It takes some practice to figure out what foods work well together to hit your calorie and macro goals... I find prelogging helps a lot.
  • hungryrunner30
    Options
    There's a facebook page I am in for ideas - Macro Magic. Logging your food a day ahead or early in the morning is a good idea. I always start with what I know I am going to eat that day (pre workout and post workout, stuff like that) and those are my must have's. Then I know what I have left to play around with.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I prelogged today's meals, and that really helped me see where I'd be lacking before it was too late. Seems like a no brainer now.

I really like the idea of starting with staples, then giving yourself a chance to change it up with what's leftover.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to IIFYM. Seems like a solid, reasonable concept, but I'm having difficulties balancing out my macros. If I meet my protein goal, I'm way under fiber and I'm pretty much always over on carbs. Does anyone have any helpful hints or favorite meals to help meet macros? Thanks!

Practice...and don't overly obsess about it. They're good to be aware of, but people really get overly obsessed with hitting their macros bang on for no good reason...you won't wilt away into nothingness if you don't get exactly X protein, X carbs, or X fat.

I use them as a dietary reasonableness guide.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? Where did you get it from? It's possible it's too high.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. After a while you pretty much know what macros each foods have and can plan accordingly. Personally though I don't care if I'm a bit under or over on something... close enough is good enough.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Remember that "Y=your". You can decide what macros you want to track, and how diligently you want to pay attention.

All I track is calories and protein, and I only track protein to try to get 120 g per day. Someone with different goals might sent these very differently. Distance runners may want to focus on carbohydrates, while bulking wrestlers may really up the fat and protein.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
  • Abregoll
    Abregoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am interested in learning more about the iifym system. Any recommendations on where I should start? I don't have a ton of $$$ to pay the $50 to sign up on the website. I am currently at a good weight, but I am looking to tone and build lean muscle. Thanks for your help!
  • jennyonthespot
    Options
    I got my macro goals from the calculator on IIFYM.com. It was free to calculate and I use MFP to track them. The goals seem pretty reasonable. The only one I have trouble hitting is fiber. I'm always over on carbs, unfortunately.
  • jennyonthespot
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You'll get there. After a while you pretty much know what macros each foods have and can plan accordingly. Personally though I don't care if I'm a bit under or over on something... close enough is good enough.

Close enough IS good enough, I think you've got the right idea. I have never paid too close attention to macros before, but it seems like a good method to ensure a decently well-balanced diet.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    what is IIFYM???