Non-sandwich ideas for a quick fix lunch?

Options
CindyinAtl
CindyinAtl Posts: 10 Member
Sandwiches don't excite me at all. I'm interested in hearing some ideas for lunch that are quick to fix and very tasty!

Replies

• tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Triscuits, topped with sliced avocado and apples.
    Salad: spring greens with spinach, pecans, goat cheese or stilton cheese (I personally like the one with apricots), apple slices, mandarin oranges.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Salads, quesadillas, homemeade frozen burritos
  • bmp1290
    bmp1290 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-lunch-ideas/dill-tuna-salad/

This is pretty good, but may be more of a snack for some people?
    I eat it for lunch every once in awhile & love it. But I do use the lower calorie mayo & tuna. Hope this helps alittle :)
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Wraps, a Nicoise salad, quiche, any dinner leftovers that can be eaten cold or reheat well, quinoa with grilled salmon and asparagus, couscous salad with artichokes+sundried tomatoes or grilled chicken+chopped almonds+golden raisins+moroccan spices, soups
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    batch cook soups, stews, chili, fajita or burrito fillings over the weekend. Then portion out in containers to freeze or take to work in the week with the relevant toppings/accompaniments and enjoy. takes maybe an hour out of your sunday, but means you have a week's worth of lunches or more, ready to go.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Chicken and saffron rice baked in muffin tins.
  • Bethg40
    Bethg40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.... I find that one of my hardest times during this process is while I am driving in the car (which is a lot). In the past I would always save my drive jobs until lunch and go through drive through. - and get way too much to eat. These are great ideas! I would love any others that are "travel friendly"
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Soup from the freezer. Cut up veggies, hummus and a hardboiled egg. Peanut butter, cheese and apple slices. Planned overs from dinner, stir-fry and rice heat up easily in the microwave.

If portion control is a concern, you can set aside the lunch portion before you serve the main meal so that it never even reaches the table. I tend to skip a day so that Monday's dinner will be Wednesday's lunch so that I'm not eating the same thing 2 days in a row.

I find tuna wraps and egg burritos are very car friendly - if not overstuffed the tortilla keeps the fillings from dropping (and tortillas don't make a lot of crumbs - which is why the astronauts eat them instead of bread).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I'm busy I prepare these beforehand for 3-4 days to come and keep them in the fridge in jars:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html
  • CindyinAtl
    CindyinAtl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some great ideas! Thanks, guys!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    When I'm busy I prepare these beforehand for 3-4 days to come and keep them in the fridge in jars:

OMG... mind = blown

Thank you!
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the canned chicken with mayo, over a bed of spinach, with olives and chick peas.
  • ajcilia
    ajcilia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »

Do you have a recipe for this?
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home, I spray a ramekin with canola oil spray, then line it with ham, then break an egg into it and bake (sometimes I add a little grated cheese if I'm really hungry/been super active), and make a salad or just chop up bits of veg.

Asparagus (or other green veg if asparagus isn't in season - broccoli is good) with a poached egg (a little hollandaise makes it extra yummy if you have the calories available), and then some fruit.

Salad with boiled egg or bacon or feta/cranberries/sliced almonds.

Baked potato with tuna and coleslaw - not really my idea of fun, but it's got protein and would be filling.

I'm not that fussed on sandwiches either, but if I do have a sandwich, bacon with loads of fresh salad ingredients would be my first choice!

Homemade sushi - my kids love it in their school lunches, so I always make enough for my lunch too; try to do this for a day I'm working as it's a perfect "at work" lunch"

yay, I've just reminded myself of some lunches I like :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

I've never heard of jar-cooked noodles. These recipes are great! And way better than the Ramen noodles even if the salt content was ok.

I was going to say, my solution, because I'm sooo tired of sandwiches myself, is to get soups combined with a salad, or, there's one place I go that has chicken chili about as cheap as I could make it, so I get a pint of it about every week. Or else I go to Starbucks (which gets expensive).
  • kramrn77
    Options
    ajcilia wrote: »
    kramrn77 wrote: »

Do you have a recipe for this?

I make the rice with jasmine rice, 1/2 tsp tumeric and a good pinch of saffron and a Ping of rice. Make 3c cooked rice. Then I poach a chicken breast in chicken broth tumeric and cumin. When the chicken is done shred it and add to the rice. Grate a carrot and add to the bowl. Finely slice three scallions and add. Add two eggs and 1/2c mozzarella cheese (I may try Parmesan cheese next time). Put rice mix into muffin tins and sprinkle cheese on top (I think the original recipe was one c total cheese, but I am going to try to downsize that). Bake at 375 until tops are browned. I used silicon cups and they popped right out but if you use a tin you'll have to grease it well I think to be able to get it out whole. It made 14 muffins for me and calculated at 230 calories for two muffins.
  • kramrn77
    Options
    Should have been pinch of salt. Stupid autocorrect.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Apple slices or celery with hummus or peanut butter. Apple slices with cheese. Low-fat cottage cheese with fruit or a few sunflower seeds.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it simple! All you need is a sharp knife,cutting board and slow cooker. Make a variety of soups and freeze in one cup containers. Create a large salad each day and garnish it with a different items as well as dressings each day.