exercise

Options
I am a 62 year old female who is obese (235 lbs and 5' 1") I have not exercised much in the last 5-6 years. I am afraid to start exercising because I am afraid I will make it worse. I have osteoarthritis and my joints hurt. I feel my body losing muscle as I am getting flabby and lazy. What can I do safely with exercising. when I walk, my knees and hip joints hurt real bad.

Replies

• Sld1108
    Sld1108 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like to point out I'm new here. I noticed people never respond to us new people so I thought I'd add my two cents. From being on medication for years I was Told I have bones of a 70 year old And severe osteopenia so I thought I could help. From my doctors suggestions, I suggest vitamin D (liquid drops!) that you put in your water and take calcium with it. Most people don't know that calcium is worthless without taking vitamin D drops which absorbs the calcium. That will help your bones. For painful joints and bones, do light strength training and very light walking. You can google this and you'll probably feel better in days. I also recommend seeing a doctor that is less prescription and more homeopathic you may feel better in days or weeks :) I know it helped me so I hope you get some relief because I know those joints can cause an awful lot of pain!
  • Sld1108
    Sld1108 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ps a stationary bicycle (you can find an under the desk one on amazon) is very beneficial! You don't have to walk and it's not some huge bike in your house, it's a small cycle where you could watch tv doing It just to get your joints moving and feeling better again. Along with the vitamin D and calcium, always take glucosamine, it has worked wonders for me (I have Uneven hips and joint displacement constantly so I hope it helps you) :) god bless
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! I agree with the comments above. Also, doing yoga type exercises might help as well. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • tamelamcmurray
    tamelamcmurray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found a video about exercise and limited mobility. I have 115 lbs to lose. There are lots of good ideas on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI
  • hudgins808
    Options
    I don't know how to add people as friends! But I do agree with all of the above comments and would love to be friends with all of you
  • FrancisCV7
    FrancisCV7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    hudgins808 wrote: »
    I don't know how to add people as friends! But I do agree with all of the above comments and would love to be friends with all of you

I'm assuming you're using the mobile app? Go to the main page, then select 'Friends', then select the '+' symbol, and add by email/MFP username
  • jasoncollins79
    jasoncollins79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered pool classes? They are really good on the joints and you still get a pretty good workout. I would also contact some of your local gyms and see if they have the "silver sneakers" program. My Gym has them and it's a class for seniors where they really help those who may have mobility issues workout.
  • melvamaxine
    melvamaxine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a gazelle air walker. It is so far the best for me. I quickly was able to workout on it for 2 30 minute sessons. I have lost 8 pounds in just 6 days. (probably water weight) but my joints are not hurting. It is a simulation of cross country skiing. It cost me $119 on sale. The one I have has a weight limit of 250 pounds but there are others that have a higher weight allowed. I seen one with weight restriction of 310 pounds I think. Anyway I break out in a sweat and my heart is racing. I am really excited about it because for me it is the only type of workout I have. I am looking for friends that can help keep me on track to a healthier living including spiritual, nutritional, and physically. I am pretty good at starting out on a good plan but not so good at keeping on the road to a healthier living style. :)
  • melvamaxine
    Options
    so I think I just posted something??? can anyone see it? just wondering because I don't.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I'm a 63 year old female who started at a little over 200 pounds 2 months ago and have lost 15 lbs. with very minimal exercise (MFP does not require exercise to lose weight as it is based on a calorie deficit with normal activity). I have a bad back, neck, and abdominal muscle weakness due to multiple surgeries so can't exercise the way some people do...especially young ones. Besides that, in all honesty I know I'd burn out if the exercise was too rigorous for my age and activity level. Therefore I workout at home using DVD's or You Tube on the computer or Smart TV and do a mixture of yoga (which can range from mild stretching to power yoga), Pilates (which conditions the core muscles in the pelvic/abdomen area as well as working other muscles), and mild aerobics. Jane Fonda has some very easy ones for women our age on You Tube. I'd start with level I aerobic workout which is about 20 minutes long and equivalent to walking a mile but a lot more fun. I only burn 50-200 calories extra with these types of exercises but it is a start and keeps me moving. I'll send you a friend request.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oops. Realized you already are a friend.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi I reply to new people.

I'm 70 and we can still do this, it may be slower at a more mature age but we have to be patient and stick with it, log all of your food and drinks and gradually build up activity. You can all do this. Good luck to you all.
  • jbvj
    jbvj Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am a 62 year old female who is obese (235 lbs and 5' 1") I have not exercised much in the last 5-6 years. I am afraid to start exercising because I am afraid I will make it worse. I have osteoarthritis and my joints hurt. I feel my body losing muscle as I am getting flabby and lazy. What can I do safely with exercising. when I walk, my knees and hip joints hurt real bad.

Try Waterfit.. It is easy on the joints and bones and you can lose weight as well..
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    jbvj wrote: »
    You do NOT need to exercise to lose weight. When I need to lose weight I stop working out. I know everyone is different but I lost 50lbs in 3 months just by watching my intake and not working about how many calories I burned.

This is so true. If I were in your shoes I would concentrate on calorie reduction first, following MFP's guidelines using sedentary as your activity level and adjusting your calorie intake according to how much you want to lose per week. Keep in mind that too aggressive a weight loss goal will most likely cause you to throw in the towel. Slow and steady will get you where you want to be. Exercise can come later as you begin to lose some weight and feel better about yourself and your progress. If you want to exercise, like others have said bicycling and swimming are good ways to start. To avoid muscle loss while you are losing weight you should add some strength training. I'm almost 64 and it was all my aches and pains in addition to taking meds for cholesterol and acid reflux that prompted me to get serious about losing weight (almost 60 pounds since January 2016). I'm off all my meds now and my knees and hips are really happy! Follow the forums on here and don't hesitate to ask questions, there are many helpful and knowledgeable people willing to guide you.
  • melvamaxine
    Options
    I am still learning about this site so I found myself back on this blog. LOL I would love to do yoga but I am unable to stirke the pose. I tried with my daughter serveral years ago and the instructor told me to go to a senior type or the one with needed extra towels (?) to help get in the positions. I gave it up. I have tried thai chi (i think that is what you call it) and I pulled all kinds of muscles. I am a type of person that when I stretch before and after an exercise, I pull all kinds of muscles and I get spasms. So I am on a air glider for the past almost 2 weeks and so far so good. Mostly I just want to feel like I am moving again and this thing gives me that. I have lost 9 pounds doing 2 30 minute workouts per day except on Wednesdays. I have learned by my daily food diary where and how I gained so much weight. My food choices were HORRIBLE!! My Dr. told me to watch what I eat and stay clear of fats and too much carbs. I was amazed how much fat I had in my diet plus the salt intake I get is pretty bad. So I have losts to do and learn. I am trying not to get to focused on weight loss more than food intake as I see that is more important for me. I try and have a late dinner because if I have an early dinner, I get hungry around 9 pm. I need to figure out what works for me when I get hungry and what to eat that has no sugar, fat, or salt. I know it is a process and with each passing day that i succeed I feel more confident I can do this.
  • cdikh
    cdikh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wonder if she succeed on her goal .. this post is sooo old
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    cdikh wrote: »
    I wonder if she succeed on her goal .. this post is sooo old

She's is posting again.
  • Angieve1
    Angieve1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try and have a late dinner because if I have an early dinner, I get hungry around 9 pm. I need to figure out what works for me when I get hungry and what to eat that has no sugar, fat, or salt. I know it is a process and with each passing day that i succeed I feel more confident I can do this.

Have you ever tried to eat maybe not too late for dinner but around 7 pm have 1/2 cup of oatmeal with some berries or with 1/2 a banana. it is very filling and you wont feel hungry until the next morning for sure. That's one of my trick cause I used to eat late at night which was one of my worst eating habit.

• melvamaxine
    Options
    I wish I could eat hot cereal but it makes me gag :( That is all we had as kids for breakfast. The worst is Cream of wheat. I use to be responsible for making it for my siblings for breakfast and I could not for the life of me make it without lumps. All of my siblings and myself would gag on it but we had to eat it. To this day, hot cereal gags me. LOL I like the 1/2 banana and/or berries idea though. I wonder if I could eat whole grain cheerios instead of hot cereal?? Thanks for the ideas