Half Marathon training.... Who's in??

Options

Replies

• erincstalker
    erincstalker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for a half in October. I just had my third bang this past October, so I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get back in shape (mentally and physically). Right now I'm just squeezing in cardio workouts when I can, but I'm looking for a more structured plan. Can't wait to see how all of you planning to run this spring/summer do!
  • BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    BrendaS03 wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I am in my first week of training for a half marathon on April 26! I know there must be others out there with similar goals. I have done one half marathon before but still have lots to learn about how to train, how to fuel and how to prepare.

Anyone else in the same boat looking for a training buddy? When is your race? Feel free to add me

I'm from Ottawa, and also running a half on April 26. I'm curious, which one are you doing?

The limestone weekend in Kingston! Is that the one you are doing??
  • jewelsndiamonds
    jewelsndiamonds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've wanted to run a half for the longest but will definitely need accountability buddies :wink:
  • BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    catpea33 wrote: »
    I'm doing my first half on June 8th in Niagara. Right now I'm doing Insanity because of all the snow and ice outside; I don't want to pay for gym membership just to use a treadmill since I have loads of weights and stuff at home. Insanity will be finished in early to mid March and then I'll hopefully be taking the running outside. It's my first attempt at a half. My other races have all been 5k in length, although I used to run 10k just in training. I'm not bothered about time either, although it would be nice to come in quicker than 2h30m, because for a first time, finishing is my only goal.

My first half was in Niagara last year :) it was such a great experience, and such a beautiful location. The women there were so motivating and there is an endless stream of high fives, you are going to love it!

• GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have started a group called '2015 Half Marathon first timers' if anyone is interested in joining to discuss our training, share any tips or fears and generally support each other through to the big day
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have started a group called '2015 Half Marathon first timers' if anyone is interested in joining to discuss our training, share any tips or fears and generally support each other through to the big day

Thanks! Here's a link to the group so you don't have to look for it:

HM First Timers Group

• Magoo065
    Magoo065 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am training for the 2nd time for a half - the first time, I did Hal Higdon's training program and ended up with shin splints because I hadn't prepared myself very well. They were so bad I had to stop. Fast forward 4 years and I'm down 25 pounds and have a spiffy new pair of properly fitted shoes, and I'm well on my way to my first half marathon on 5/3. Did a 7 mile long run along Lake Michigan in Chicago last weekend (inspiring things to look at while running!). I figure if I can manage that now, I'll be in a place where I'm ready for the race in May. I'm following Hal's basic plan, but kind of doing each of the weeks twice so I don't add mileage too quickly, which was my biggest issue last time along with bad shoes. I'm also planning to have at least one 12 mile long run by two weeks prior to the race to make sure I am able to run the whole thing - this is my real goal. So kind of following Hal, kind of not. Heh. I'm going to have a 13.1 sticker on my car, dammit. And maybe a tattoo. We'll see.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My first half is May 3rd. Just registered this morning!!! I did a 15K in Novemeber and that was my last long run since it has been winter and I can't stand the treadmill!! I will start doing longer runs on the weekends again soon!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Magoo065 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a 13.1 sticker on my car, dammit. And maybe a tattoo. We'll see.

img]
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    March 1 will be my first. Looking forward to it.
  • Magoo065
    Magoo065 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Magoo065 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a 13.1 sticker on my car, dammit. And maybe a tattoo. We'll see.

img]

Well. That's certainly something, isn't it??

• AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My first will be May 3rd
  • jaegerbss
    jaegerbss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First timer here also. First race of any kind will be the Indy mini in May. Already training and bringing up my base slowly. I'm really excited about running and am loving it.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    BrendaS03 wrote: »
    The limestone weekend in Kingston! Is that the one you are doing??
    I'm going to be doing the 10k as part of my half training!

• FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My 1st 13.1 is May10 2015. Been on Hal Higdons Novice 2 with some modifications to it. almost done the 12 week training course with a 21k run tomorrow 8) my 20k last weekend went well.I plan on sticking to week 11-week12 from here out for the next 4 months to keep the long run on the weekend and 18k through the week. Since this is my 1st 13.1, I'm training with a fuel belt and energy gels. I've only done a 10k race in the past. I've lost 120lbs since last february dropping from 270+ down to 150 present 8) And the 13.1 has been my new goal for a while now. Add me if any of you like and we can share training ideas.

GoodLuck to you all 8)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Some of you may be interested in this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

I'm training for my 4th half on Feb. 15th, and then my 5th & 6th the weekend of March 14&15. Feel free to add me. Good luck to everyone training!
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half on April 26 as well! I'm super excited, though motivation has waned some this week. Using higdon beginner plan since I've never done longer than a 10k.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My long run is now up to 10 miles and my HM isn't until May 3rd. Definitely starting to feel possible. I have 2 HM planned this year and I plan to get a tattoo to celebrate my achievements once I am done.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    April 4th feels like it's coming faster than I excepted. I'm on plan....but really need to dial it in.

I ended up switching events after reading a lot of bad reviews of the race I had signed up for. (Registration fiascos, wrong mileage, running out of water, shady neighbordhood, hilly course).

The new event is a week earlier but sounds like it's a much better event.

Mostly worried about pacing. I've only run a few short events and tend to go really quickly with the group. Remembering it's a (half) marathon and not a fast race will be tough.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just changed races so now doing 1/2 on March 8th. Happy about extra week to train. And the bling and swag is better.