Is it good to run everyday or every other day?

Options
How often should you run daily?

Replies

• tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right to you.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what your goals are. if you're looking at running a marathon and preparing for something like that, you may want to run everyday. However if you're looking to bulk up and gain muscle you would cut back a little. it's totally up to you.
  • DimplesC82
    Options
    Depends on how many miles you're running
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Broadly it depends on your running experience, current mileage, objectives and personal circumstances.

If you're new to the sport, as the question suggests, then I'd advise no more than every other day until you're getting a solid weekly mileage under your belt. Getting to it is also progressive, don't jump from 3 days pw to 7 days pw, build up the frequency and play the mileage down.

Personally I don't see the value unless you're in an advanced plan
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Training plans leading towards a half or full marathon will usually have you run every other day. With perhaps cross training on the non-running days.

What are your running goals?
  • DimplesC82
    Options
    Yep, I agree with MeanderingMammal. To play it safe, if you're just starting out, only run 3 days a week. My friend/trainer/marathon runner didn't want me running any more than that until I finished my half marathon, then she allowed 4 days a week.

With the high impact of running you have to let your body repair or you will end up injured.