Ravenous after starting to run again

Options
For the past week, I've started back running and I just keep eating. If I don't, I get really really weak, tired, and get a headache. I mean, I've pretty much been eating close to maintenance everyday which is a huge jump from my daily goal. I had this issue in the past when I was running daily. Its like theres a vacuum in my tummy and as soon as I eat, it sucks up the food right away and an hour later, I need to eat more or I feel terrible. What is going on??? I hate feeling hungry all the time. I even woke up in the middle of the night because I just felt weak and empty. I drank water and stuffed my face with lara bars. Maybe my metabolism is speeding up? Help!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You need to eat some when you exercise. Some people find that if they eat a few extra carbs before and/or during their exercise, the don't feel like over eating later.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You know, it's totally okay to plan a snack or meal after a workout.

I am in a sport that's pretty notorious for increasing appetite. I just workout before a planned meal and I am generally all good.

I'd also check out how much protein you're eating. I tend to need a pretty heavy protein meal after a session.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Are you eating carbs afterwards? Or I should say, just carbs? How much protein and fat do you eat compared to carbs?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with TimothyFish. Maybe adding more protein to your meals? my appitite was under control for a while, I'm not sure I changed anything but lately I'm hungry all the time.
  • dlcoaching
    dlcoaching Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try to schedule your workouts right before a meal, like before breakfast or before lunch. That way, you can eat your regular meals, and not eat more calories than what you burned.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How hard are you running?

Speed workout days, my calorie target flutters so prettily as it flies out the window. o:) Recovery/super easy days, I often end up lightheaded in the evening because I'm so NOT hungry I put myself too far in calorie debt.

Worth mentioning that I'm on MFP mostly because of the weight I gained training for a marathon.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Stagger your calories and look at your calorie goals in weekly, not daily, terms.

That way you can save up more calories for your running days and cut back on your rest days, just making sure you have the same caloric deficit at the end of the week as you would have before.

If not postpone running for now, reach goal, then fold it back in.