3 weeks of weight watchers a LOAD of running ...result ...NO WEIGHT LOSS?!!!

Options

Replies

• mrsmknitta
    mrsmknitta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from doing mfp to ww. I felt I just needed a change due to boredom. I did not lose anything after three weeks. I decided to count the calories along with the points and I realized that I was eating way more on ww. Especially if I ate all my weekly points and activity points. In the end, I canceled ww and came back to mfp.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mrsmknitta wrote: »
    I recently switched from doing mfp to ww. I felt I just needed a change due to boredom. I did not lose anything after three weeks. I decided to count the calories along with the points and I realized that I was eating way more on ww. Especially if I ate all my weekly points and activity points. In the end, I canceled ww and came back to mfp.

Interesting! I always wondered about those WW points.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Lots of people stalled out on WW with their dumbass "free" foods.

Take a look at WW boards after they made that last change. Dozens of people wondering why they're stalling, despite admitting 5, 6, 7 or more pieces of "free" fruit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The boards are open to the public but people who are actually in WW as in they attend meetings or read the online materials provided should know they can't eat 5+ pieces of fruit a day and lose unless they're very overweight. There are guidelines.

I think most people didn't lose fast enough on the new program because WW started it with the base points level too high. They soon lowered it, for smaller people. Still, people average over 1800 calories a day on WW now. That's not going to work for a lot of us, not without leaving some of those extra points on the table every week.
  • curiousorange
    Options
    When I feel bloated, I find that those activia yogurts really help. Or those yogurt drinks with the good bacteria. Green tea helps me as well.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned it, but are you pregnant? Being bloated and feeling tight around the abdomen was one of my first signs. Maybe peeing on a stick is a good idea.
  • XCHOCOLATECRAZYX
    XCHOCOLATECRAZYX Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone...i still have the bloated feeling like its ladies time so strange and a bit painful too is certainly feels like im retaining water on my stomach for some odd reason!
  • Mike_Is_Fit
    Mike_Is_Fit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds most likely that this is exercise induced inflammation. It is totally normal and will continue to happen. Your body holds onto extra water after exercise when it repairs muscle. The amount of time this lasts will vary from person to person. For me, it lasts about 24 hours after each run. I may be as much as 5 lbs heavier the day after I run and then it is gone just as fast. If you are running every day (since you were not running at all before), you might consider running every other day. This will give your muscles a proper chance to heal.

Muscle recovery is really the name of the game. The only way to get better at running is through recovery. The run is just the stimulus for recovery.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My wife does WW and I always laugh at her "free" fruits and veggies. It's not free, they contain calories.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I always get bloated after running. Sometimes I will gain as much as 3 inches in the waist area and my legs really swell. And this is when I am running consistently 5 miles every other day. That could be masking your loss if you are truly eating at a deficit. Especially if you went from not running to 18-20 miles a week.
  • amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers used to be great, before they changed to the points plus program, where they introduced these free fruits and veggies. I ended up quitting WW because it was too confusing... if you eat TOO many servings, you technically should be counting those extra servings as points... if you put them in a recipe (for example you make a smoothie), those typically come out in their recipe program as a load of points. I've just started using MFP, but am already seeing the results, which I was not getting on WW on their "great" points plus program.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Lots of people stalled out on WW with their dumbass "free" foods.

Take a look at WW boards after they made that last change. Dozens of people wondering why they're stalling, despite admitting 5, 6, 7 or more pieces of "free" fruit.

I see nothing has changed since I did WW a few years ago. There were "bananas are evil" threads on a regular basis back then too.

• XCHOCOLATECRAZYX
    Options
    Thank you everyone thats made me feel a little better lol!! think im going to drop my running down from 5X a week to just 4 and lower the miles...so day 1- 3mile run, day 2-4 mile run, day 3- 2.5mile run and day 5- 5mile run...or i may even join a gym and start doign some classes again such as spinning/metafit and circuits.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is that I eat all my fruits and carbs before 2pm. Only cleansing veggies and proteins after that. Weight Watchers did not work for me because I would barely eat anything all day and then use all my points in the evening.

I have now totally changed the way I eat, taking in most of my calories in the morning and early afternoon. I started this a week and a half ago and I am down 12.7 pounds.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers, but I think when they made fruit and veggies "free", that created a problem. I can't tell you how many times I was at meetings and had people complaining about not losing weight, and then it turns out that they were eating 2-3 bananas a day, strawberries, grapes, etc on top of their full daily points allowance. That adds up! Bananas alone can be up to 200 calories each.
    Anyway, I'm not saying that's what you're doing. Most likely it is what everyone else has said, water retention from running.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    How on earth did you go from not running to running 18 miles a week?? I want to know your magic trick.

That's what I want to know. I'm not running now, and if I went out and tried I wouldn't even be able to make it a quarter mile without stopping.

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone thats made me feel a little better lol!! think im going to drop my running down from 5X a week to just 4 and lower the miles...so day 1- 3mile run, day 2-4 mile run, day 3- 2.5mile run and day 5- 5mile run...or i may even join a gym and start doign some classes again such as spinning/metafit and circuits.

How did you go from nothing to that schedule in a week? I run, have done for years, and I have never met an overweight human yet who can do "couch to 35k" in a week.

Are you either imagining the runs, way fitter than you stated or something???

I am very confused. If I ran 35k a week I would be eating a whole boat load of food.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ever hear of leaky gut syndrome? Read "Clean gut" by Alejandro Junger, MD. We are supposed to have all these "good guys" linking arms along our intestine walls. Sometimes "bad guys" come in and link arms. They all get coated with this armor. When the security detail comes along to review the troops they all look alike. When you eat food, the bad guys let food through your intestine walls. It causes bloating and all sorts of problems. Your brain sends reinforcements (antibodies) down to take care of the problem. It's a constant battle. Your body feels tired and run down. All the antibodies are in this battle instead of fighting off illness each night, so you are susceptible to illness and are never getting the recovery you need each night. The use of Antibiotics is terrible too, as it kills all the soldiers in the gut.

The book gives you a 2 week clean gut diet to restart and then to build your gut back up.
  • XCHOCOLATECRAZYX
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »

How did you go from nothing to that schedule in a week? I run, have done for years, and I have never met an overweight human yet who can do "couch to 35k" in a week.

Are you either imagining the runs, way fitter than you stated or something???

I am very confused. If I ran 35k a week I would be eating a whole boat load of food.

im saying im going to drop down to around 15mile a week not 35k! think you have read this wrong...i have always been active for 7 years going to gym ect so im not unfit and not that much over weight either...when i was doing nothing it was 3 weeks over the xmas term
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    sjcook23 wrote: »
    Ever hear of leaky gut syndrome? Read "Clean gut" by Alejandro Junger, MD. We are supposed to have all these "good guys" linking arms along our intestine walls. Sometimes "bad guys" come in and link arms. They all get coated with this armor. When the security detail comes along to review the troops they all look alike. When you eat food, the bad guys let food through your intestine walls. It causes bloating and all sorts of problems. Your brain sends reinforcements (antibodies) down to take care of the problem. It's a constant battle. Your body feels tired and run down. All the antibodies are in this battle instead of fighting off illness each night, so you are susceptible to illness and are never getting the recovery you need each night. The use of Antibiotics is terrible too, as it kills all the soldiers in the gut.

The book gives you a 2 week clean gut diet to restart and then to build your gut back up.

No, "leaky gut syndrome" is generally considered snake oil malarkey - it's a vague and unproven "theory", at best.

Zero evidence that it exists.