Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

K+?

Anyone know a good way to get more potassium in a diet? I find I am constantly sorely lacking it and I am just not that big of a fan of bananas

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Pills
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Google
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    You are probably fine if you are eating a variety of foods. Bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peanut butter, almonds, many greens, avocado, almost all squash, white beans, yogurt, salmon, these are all high in potassium. The MFP database is crappy, especially when it comes to micronutrients.

It's best not to take a supplement unless your doctor recommends it. Too much potassium in the blood is dangerous.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Are you sure? Most natural food (practically everything besides shrimps) contains more potassium than sodium. Processed food usually has a lot of sodium because of the added salt. You're supposed to have a balance between sodium and potassium intake. Eat whole foods and don't add a lot of salt, or use sodium reduced salt (half and half potassium and sodium), and you'll be more than fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You are probably getting enough potassium. Ignore the MFP entries.
    The entries are incomplete because the US gov does not require them.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    I am so glad for the advice in this thread! The K+ thing worries me too, OP. I have found that V8 juice (even the low sodium style) has a lot of K+ per 5.5 oz can for only 30 cals. I hate bananas too & am always looking for ways to add K+ to keep the cramps at bay.
  • BigAl_2
    BigAl_2 Posts: 85 Member
    Coconut water is also a pretty good source of potassium among other things.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You are probably getting enough potassium. Ignore the MFP entries.
    The entries are incomplete because the US gov does not require them.

^^ This!! Same for Canada. It's not required on labels. So it doesn't show up in entries.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Mushrooms, broccoli, v8 (8oz of low sodium has 900mg of potassium), avocado's, some yogurts, .......Yes do a google search on high potassium foods.

I also watch my potassium as a value, I have an open food diary, so take a look and see what has potassium that I eat. They say you should get 4,700mg's, and MFP has us set at 3,500mgs
  • laurberry66
    laurberry66 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    If you haven't had blood work show potassium deficiency you're probably fine.
  • Хуй до
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    As others have said, since it is not required to be on food labels, it is not usually there. So many of the enteries in the food database here are not correct with regard to potassium. Really, though, unless you have lab work done and it shows a potassium deficiency, you shouldn't try to supplement. Too much potassium can be dangerous.