The dirty "P" word.

Options
Might be a silly question but I'm pretty clueless and new to this whole "healthy eating" thing. What are good examples of protien? For all different meals/snacks ect. I'm so lost when it comes to protien. Please help!

Replies

• MrsKduf
    MrsKduf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nuts, meat, Greek yogurt those are my typical go to.
  • HappyLifting89
    Options
    Peanut butter (dip an apple in it-even more filling), fish, eggs, jerky,Mini Babybels, lean beef and chicken and protein bars. Just a few that are good for you :) You can hard boil the eggs and take them anywhere!
  • JLopez832
    JLopez832 Posts: 1,206
    Options
    what both of these ladies said lol I personally like the boiled eggs, chicken, fish, beans, and yogurt and of course the protein shakes
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Steak > everything
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As above. I like quest protein bars, I could eat 10 a day! Cottage cheese is also a good protein source
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and flavoured tuna is a favourite go to of mine. Boiled eggs are great, jerky, deli ham, string cheese...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, protein shakes and various sausages/bacon are my go-to proteins. Also ground beef, turkey and lamb (making lamb burgers sometime in the next few days!)
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Any lean meat, assuming you are looking to lose or maintain weight. The operative term is "lean". 96% lean/4% fat ground beef has 127 calories/100g. 80/20 ground beef has 254, twice as much. Lean ham has about 100 cal/100 g. Fish and seafood are excellent sources of low-calorie protein. A useful resource for comparing foods is the USDA nutritional database, which is online at http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods. Type in a food name, and you get a detailed nutritional portfolio. Your tax dollars (mine, anyway) doing something useful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I suggested cottage cheese in my above post, and now it's got a padlock over it! What is going on?
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Any kind of....meat, fish, cheese, nuts, some yogurts (watch the sugar though), these are the higher protein sources
  • Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Steak > everything

Correct!

Unfortunately, I can't afford to eat steak as often as I'd like, so eggs are great for breakfasts (and sometimes lunches) also also lots of delicious fish and other lean meats.

Everything else sounds about right too - cheese, nuts, etc. :-)

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein sources are chicken breast, ground beef (95% lean), yogurt, milk, boiled eggs, sliced turkey (deli meat), cheese, and legumes of all sorts (although they are higher in carbohydrates than protein, they also provide a hefty hit of iron and fiber, so WIN!).

Based on the above, I tend to eat a lot of burgers, sloppy joes, chili, chicken sandwiches or chicken salads covered in yogurt dressing, veggie burgers made with chickpeas, stews and soups made with beans + chicken or beef, yogurt mixed with fruit or plain, hot chocolate made with milk and cocoa... There are so many options! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    There are many differing thoughts on what constitutes "healthy eating". Most nutrition scientists tend to recommend unprocessed lean meats, fish (especially oily fish), nuts, beans, tofu, reduced fat dairy and occasionally eggs as good protein sources.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html
    That site has a list of common protein foods. Dairy products are not included in that list but also have protein.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerkey
    Nuts
    Protein bars (Quest or Musclepharm are very yummy)
    chicken/ beef
    Eggs
    Cheese
    :)