Elliptical trainer help

Options
I just got my elliptical/bike (2 in 1) today...It's awesome, I love it...squeaks a little bit but that's okay...Need a little help...I rode for a 3 minute test ride, recorded time on mfp and it gave me 38 calories burned...on my bike it records 68 calories burned..Question? which one should I go with...My boyfriend says take the lesser one to avoid going over caloried if I eat my exercise calories back...On the flip side, taking the lesser calories when it's actually more could send me into starvation mode...I'm thinking that the machine probably gave me 68 calories according to speed I was going...I know this doesnt' seem like a big deal but I'm trying to do everything the best I can...I'm about to get back on and go for round 2..I think exercising can become addictive...cause I'm loving my new toy...Please give me any suggestions that you might think may help me...Thanks to all in advance...

Replies

• khearne0819
    Options
    I would go with the one on the bike.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    a lot of people post about this problem and usually end up just averaging both out and taking the number in the middle. so put down 53 calories burned. make sense? it might not be accurate but atleast you wont be making a huge mistake one way or the other. also you are correct that the mfp doesnt take into consideration your speed on the elliptical.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM the ellipticals read out is at least 30 more calories burned than what it should be. That is just my experience.
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I always have that problem MFP chart says one thing and the equipment says another. But someone told me to use the machine numbers. Because when you enter your weight, level, resistance and stride it will be different for everybody..
  • wide_rider
    wide_rider Posts: 6
    Options
    What is listed here is a general guide. Go by what the machine says, since it takes into account speed & resistance settings.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is why I have a heart rate monitor. If you really want to know invest in one. Otherwise I would average it,
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    I ride my elliptical almost every day. I use the mfp calories because it is based on how much you weigh. Although I use tention and there's no way to put that in I still use the mfp one. Good luck to you, the elliptical burns a lot of calories. Don't worry about it!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    My elliptical doubles what my HRM says. and MFP doesn't double, but is still a good 30 over what the HRM says. I would average them and think about investing in a good HRM - preferably one with a chest/arm strap for best accuracy.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I use the machine calories also since you are inputting your weight and it is tracking your speed. However if your not doing that it might be inaccurate, place close attention to your heart rate also and see what the target is, some machines have that built in.. if not it's a great investment.. to buy one not just for this type of exercise but any physical activity for example gardening or strength training.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    3 mins and 60 calories - that's 1200 calories an hour. that's super high. It's probably more like 500 calories an hour so your 30odd is probably closer, though possibly high as well - unless you hoped on for 3 minutes of about as intense as you can go.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    58 calories seems a bit high for 3 minutes but thats just me...
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My elliptical reads at about 1/3 the calories of what I actually burn. I ignore it, use an online calculator based on HR and then if MFP is roughly right compared to that (it is, I think MFP underestimates for me as I'm v short) I take MFP and don't eat everything back to be on the safe side. Ignore machines. A machine knows exactly nothing about calories...
  • Ddietzz
    Ddietzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One thing i have been curious about is, if you use MFP it does not factor in speed. I can burn the same amount @ 3.0 mph as if i go 3.5 mph given the same time. So how do you factor that ? is a HRM the only way to go ? I have searched for websites trying to factor speed .vs time at a given weight, but no luck.