How long to run?

Options
This year, one of my resolutions was to take up running. I usually walk three miles, twice a day. So two hours, for my exercise. Things are about to get very busy in upcoming months, and running would cut the exercise time down. Plus, I have been looking into law enforcement as a possible career choice, and they always seem to have to be able to run at least a mile for part of the psychical tests.
ANYWAYS.
I've looked up how to start running, and a lot of sites say to start off running a minute or two, and break, then run for some time again until you work up to being able to run a mile straight. Most of these sites work you up to running a mile though, in a month. I don't see this happening with me. I would be happy to be able to run a mile straight by the end of the year, at least. I'm not pushing for time too bad, and just reading all these sites who plan being able to run a mile within a month makes me want to cry inside. I do things slowly? Or lazily slow. I've only been working on starting to try and run for a minute or two at a time, then breaking for five minutes, cycling this just three or four times before I just say *kitten* it, and finish walking the rest of my three miles. Is working it slowly like this fine? How long did it take in weeks for you runners to work up to being able to run a mile without stopping? How did you work up to it? Is there any tips? Will the minutes get easier as you go? Even if they stay just a few minutes for a long period while you work up running longer? Like, does the body get used to the feeling, and thus it gets easier to go a little longer each time? Or just, how long did it take?

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 weeks to jog 5 minutes without stopping. After that I followed the coach to 5k program and it took me a 2 weeks longer than their plan to get to a full 5k without stopping.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    There's some good apps for it I like zenlabs myself for all of my thus far unsuccessful attempts. I have another one scheduled for may B) lol. It's not the app it's me I'm asthmatic and get really bad shin splints.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend c25k. It trains you to run 5k in about 8 weeks and if that's too crazy for you just repeat weeks. Do a week until your 100% comfortable with it.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used Zombies, Run! 5K and really enjoyed it. It's another training program similar to C25K. It's 8 weeks, 3 times per week. If you just can't do it that often, stretch it out to a more manageable time frame for you. For instance, only run 2 times per week, making it a 12 week program, or do each week 2 times before moving on to the next week.

If you've been walking regularly for a while now, you should have a little bit of a base built that you can work off of. You'll be running before you know it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There is no ONE TRUE WAY(tm), you can approach it as going out and pushing yourself a bit longer each day, or you could use a plan.

Personally I found C25K, using the NHS ppodcast series, worked well for me inasmuch as it reduced my injury risk that I'd always experienced when I tried the other method.

If you're thinking about law enforcement then it's better to be able to well beyond the entry test stadard, so training to 5K will help that as well.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    honestly the Couch to 5K program is amazing, i did it last week and i've been running ever since

i started not being able to run 1 minute without stopping, the idea of being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping seemed absolutely ridiculous never mind being able to do it in 8 weeks

but i gave it a go and its amazing how fast your body develops when you push it, it took me about 12 week but by the end i was running 5k without stopping and loving it

i used the NHS podcasts, which i highly recommend, they provide all the timing you need and give you some great encouragement and tips throughout the program

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    The secret to your little bits of runniing is to do them SLOW. Really. Most folks start off tooo fast. Do them slow and then decrease your walking so run 1 minute walk 4 run 1 and repeat. When you get to run 1 walk 1, you can increase the running ie run 2 walk 1 until you are running 5 and walking one.