Trying to lose again

Options
Hi Everyone - I'm Jess from Pittsburgh. I've been on MFP for a few years now, using it sporadically, and never really sticking with it. My diet/exercise habits have followed similar patterns over the years.

A little bit about me and my history - I'm 27 years old and this year I'm approaching my dreaded 10 year high school reunion. I am 5'2'' and I was a skinny mini back in 2005 weighing in around 115 pounds. When I went to college I realized I have a deep and undying love for beer (still do), and I started gaining weight pretty rapidly. Since then I've usually bounced between 140-145. I even got down to 135 last Spring, although that was mostly stress related.

This new year I hit the heaviest I have ever been, 155, and I just can't do it anymore. I want to make the changes towards a healthier lifestyle without lapsing. I want this to be permanent. I feel like I have tried everything, until I realized I have never taken to the message boards before. Maybe I just need a push from a community with a common goal to help get me to the gym on days I don't want to.

Today I weighed in at 151. My goal is 120-125. I have 3 exciting events this year to help motivate me:
1) I'm going to the Outer Banks with my boyfriend's family in June and, like everyone else, I just want to wear a swimsuit and not be constantly aware of how uncomfortable I feel. Wearing a swimsuit is a giant mindf%@#!
2) In July the BF and I are going to Vegas. Neither of us have ever been there, and my goal is to be able to go out in one of those sexy black dresses that every woman seems to wear flawlessly in the fabulous Las Vegas.
3) August is the dreaded high school reunion. It doesn't matter that much, but everyone wants to look good at their reunions.

Struggles -
1) I have to cut back on the beer drinking. At 27 only a few of my friends are married, and even less have kids, so we are still partying - not quite like we used to but still.
2) Food. I love food. When I eat food that I hate it makes me miserable and makes me cheat. I cook a lot, but I also go out to eat more than I should. I'd like to drastically reduce my meals out and cook my meals at home. I'm not going to be able to be perfect here, but I will have more control and can make things that I like AND that are healthier.
3) Exercise - I hate it! I have no motivation to work out whatsoever. I've gone through exercise cycles, even ran some 10ks here and there. I know what I'm doing, I can be good at it, I just have to actually DO IT. I signed up for a 5k in May, and I'd like to start racing again. I do enjoy the competitive atmosphere there, and it sort of forces you to train. We'll see.

Anyways, be my friend! Let's help each other out!

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know what you need to do, but need some accountability to get it done. Happy to help. Friend request sent.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think you hit the nail on the head :-)