Squats

Options
Is it safe to do squats everyday? I'm really trying to get my butt round and my arms toned.

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Are you doing just body weight squats? If so I don't think it's a big deal. If your lifting I wouldn't recommend doing them more than every other day. Your muscles need healing time to improve.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do squats 5-6 days a week. Heavy barbell back squats to 250 lbs and front squats to 140 lbs... and I do a LOT of them. As long as you're practicing good form, you should be fine.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Try one of those 30 day booty challenges all over the web. What does squatting have to do with your arms being "tone"?

maintenance calories+ lift heavy= watch your body composition change.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    What Th3Ph03n1x said.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You need to let your muscles recover as well to get the desired training effect. There are ways to train everyday but the method in particular I'm thinking about is used by elite Russian powerlifters who are also likely using anabolics to support their frequency. I would suggest squats 3, maybe 4 days and you have to adjust your training variables. Knowing your 1RM, I personally use a Training Max (85% - 90% of 1RM), you can do something like...

Example: TM = 100lbs

Day 1
    5 x 5 @ 80% of TM

Day 2
    squat @ 70% of TM for 8 reps
    reverse lunge / bulgarian split squats / step-ups (pick one) for 12 reps
    *this is a super-set... Squat -> Unilateral Exercise -> Rest for 60-seconds

Day 3
    squat @ 50% of TM for 12-20 reps (4-sec eccentric)
    **Do this for 3 to 4 weeks, add 10lbs (not to the unilateral lift) and keep going. Repeat this process 5 to 6 times, drop the weight back 3 cycles and start over.

I've gone through similar squat cycles before and even though it's only 3 days the volume will get to you over time and I think you'll be hard-pressed to squat more than this, maybe a 4th day but it would be wise to recover instead.

There are many ways to program your squats, the above is just one suggestion.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Agree with if you feel okay, then do them. Good luck on the booty!
  • gainsbykay97
    gainsbykay97 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Try one of those 30 day booty challenges all over the web. What does squatting have to do with your arms being "tone"?

maintenance calories+ lift heavy= watch your body composition change.

I'm working my arms also