What protien powder is best for women?

Options
i compete in beauty pageants and I'm taking workouts and nutrition very seriously. Pageant is in late June
I'm 5'6", about 120 lbs, size 2

I'm looking for a protien powder than can help me reach my goals. I want to lose fat and build muscle (tone up) I heard %100 Whey Gold Standard was good? But not sure. Any help would very appreciate it!!!!

Also, about how many calories should I be eating. I'm a vegetarian so I eat absolutely no meat or fish. I'll gladly receive tips and advice!!!!

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i like Pure Protein brand powder. it has very few g/carbs and it's high in protein. i think it tastes good, i always mix mine with milk, but my husband mixes with water and he likes it just fine. (drink post-work-out, and also try "real" foods containing protein, for you, beans, cheese if you eat dairy, dark leafy greens, etc.) lift weights and that will be your best bet for making your arms, shoulders and back strong and very nicely muscular (no - you won't bulk) also, try "core" exercises (google or ask a trainer) because those help with balance, poise and will give you overall strength. you're my height and my goal weight is 124 so i envy your size, although i do remember weighing 120 and wanting to get "back down" to 110. LOL

i wish you luck with your pageant and your health endeavors. :flowerforyou:

**ETA** your calorie goal will be based on your activity level etc. 1200 will probably be too little, although that might be what MFP recommends. try starting around 1400cal/day and then adjust from there. i typically eat more on days i work-out and less on rest days.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The same protein that's good for men. Protein is protein and doesn't discriminate based on sex.

^^ This. There are some that are marketed to women but if you compare ingredients and nutritional facts they are pretty much the same as a general protein powder.

Protein powder won't help you lose weight necessarily but it will help you meet your protein and calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't gender specific...

What goals are you trying to achieve using protein powder? Protein powders and shakes and bars and whatnot are just supplements to help you hit your protein goals...they aren't magic or anything.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I'm lactose intolerant so I'm planning on getting egg white powder, I don't get enough protein in my day with what I eat. Usually I use liquid egg whites, but I think the powder will be easier to keep on hand, and cheaper. I stay away from soy in all forms.
  • veggiefruit2
    Options
    The same protein that's good for men. Protein is protein and doesn't discriminate based on sex.

I was told when a woman takes too much protien than what her body needs its stored as fat
  • veggiefruit2
    Options
    i like Pure Protein brand powder. it has very few g/carbs and it's high in protein. i think it tastes good, i always mix mine with milk, but my husband mixes with water and he likes it just fine. (drink post-work-out, and also try "real" foods containing protein, for you, beans, cheese if you eat dairy, dark leafy greens, etc.) lift weights and that will be your best bet for making your arms, shoulders and back strong and very nicely muscular (no - you won't bulk) also, try "core" exercises (google or ask a trainer) because those help with balance, poise and will give you overall strength. you're my height and my goal weight is 124 so i envy your size, although i do remember weighing 120 and wanting to get "back down" to 110. LOL

**ETA** your calorie goal will be based on your activity level etc. 1200 will probably be too little, although that might be what MFP recommends. try starting around 1400cal/day and then adjust from there. i typically eat more on days i work-out and less on rest days.

I absolutely loved your response!! I was at 110 lbs too haha what's weird is that I was a size 4 :neutral_face: Bigger size from what I am now, haha it's just mind boggling to me
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I was told when a woman takes too much protien than what her body needs its stored as fat

If you eat too many calories you will gain weight. I haven't heard that with just protein.

This is from the CDC:
    Most people eat more protein than they need without harmful effects. However, protein contributes to calorie intake, so if you eat more protein than you need, your overall calorie intake could be greater than your calorie needs and contribute to weight gain.
    Besides that, animal sources of protein can be sources of saturated fat which has been linked to elevated low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease.
    In addition, for people with certain kidney diseases, a lower-protein diet may be recommended to help prevent an impairment in kidney function.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html#How much protein
  • veggiefruit2
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

^^ This. There are some that are marketed to women but if you compare ingredients and nutritional facts they are pretty much the same as a general protein powder.

Protein powder won't help you lose weight necessarily but it will help you meet your protein and calorie goal.

Ooh okay I see!! Yeah that's the only reason why I want to take this supplement, to help me reach protein goals. As a vegetarian I struggle a lot with it!!

• veggiefruit2
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Protein isn't gender specific...

What goals are you trying to achieve using protein powder? Protein powders and shakes and bars and whatnot are just supplements to help you hit your protein goals...they aren't magic or anything.

Oh no, I understand protien powders aren't going to magically make you gain muscle instantly. It's exactly what you said, I need help meeting protein goals. My diet is already clean as it is, even as a little kid I was very much into a healthy lifestyle, I feel I don't intake enough protien. Especially for my crazy intense workouts and me being a vegetarian, I need some help with that
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I absolutely loved your response!! I was at 110 lbs too haha what's weird is that I was a size 4 :neutral_face: Bigger size from what I am now, haha it's just mind boggling to me

I KNOW! i totally don't understand that either. when i got married i was 110 lbs a size 7/8. a few years ago when i was at my goal weight of 124, i was a size 2!!! go figure!

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Protein can be though of as not just a nutrient to feed your muscle, but the body uses it as a long-term energy source as well. So obviously don't take more than you need. My suggestion, unless you are working on a Fitness Pageant is don't get too crazy with it. Maybe a shake with breakfast, but don't underestimate the protein found in nuts, beans legumes and such. I'm not expert on the powders so I can't suggest which is better than the other.

• af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is the best, but I've heard a lot about Sunwarrior protein. It is a vegan, plant based protein. I plan on getting some this weekend to try it. I don't like soy and my stomach is NOT happy with whey protein on a daily basis.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What is your strength training regime? That's far more important than protein powder with respect to body composition.
  • paqhall
    paqhall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best protein out there is from: liferecoverywellness.com This was created by my trainer after years of research and it tastes amazing. It has a blend of whey, egg, and time released casein. Check out his website..he offers several products and they are so good.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, when I have used powders to supplement the rest of my food intake, I choose non-soy based proteins. Some women (like me) have estrogen sensitive disorders and there are some studies that suggest soy can increase/aggravate symptoms or conditions. Tera's Whey is the one I like best. For other brands claiming to be whey, be sure to read the label. Kroger carries one that says, "100% Whey!" on the front, but actually contains soy. Go figure! Good luck with your pageant!
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just get whatever tastes good to you and fit it into your macros. I've been on a Cellucor Smores protein kick for the past few months.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Pro Performance AMP brand. The chocolate is great and tastes good mixed with just water - or milk if you can afford the calories.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural but truthfully I think there are many good protein powders out there.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    the one in the pink container