Finding it really hard to get back into my diet!

Options
I started using MFP around 2 years ago, and i lost around 9 stone using it. I eventually reached my goal weight at 196lbs! However I've also had a few nasty injuries from football which have caused me to lose my way and motivation due to the fact that I couldn't exercise. I weigh around 230lbs now and i want to lose the weight again.

I'm finding it really hard to get back into the routine at the moment though. I'm not quite sure how to get back into the right mindset as I was in before. It's starting to really frustrate me because I know this diet works, but I just cant stick to it this time for some reason!

Any suggestions for how I can solve this problem?

Thanks!

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    First of all, this isn't a "diet" in the terms that people typically use the word. It's just a way of being conscious about your food decisions. There's no magic trick.

I struggled recently with getting back in the correct mind-set as well. I don't know what to tell you besides if you keep plugging at it, your mind will catch up. Mine did, anyway. Good luck.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out your favorite foods.
    Eat at a reasonable deficit-not a large one.
    Ease your way into it.
    Don't think of it as a diet.

Motivation is overrated!
    Just do it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're a football player right?

What would you do if you were up against a team that seems better than you? Would you give up?

There's no magic, no trick..there's just wanting to do this and committing to it

Or don't, but then resign yourself to your 230lb weight, possibly more

You lost 9 stone... 126lbs ...so you know what you have to do

As Yoda would say: do or do not, there is no try!
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The quicker people drop the "D" word and realize this is a lifestyle change, the better everyone will be. Diets don't work, if they did, things like this wouldn't exist. It's about eating real food and maintaining a healthy active lifestyle. What is real food? Veggies, fruits, meats, chicken, fish, etc. If you can't pronounce an ingredient, why are you putting it in your body? This is just my general opinion about the D word.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue was relying on MFP to calculator my calories. Now I use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to get me a more realistic goal. I usually start with tracking everything I eat without changes for the first week just to see where I am and how many calories/fat I'm actually consuming. Then the second week I make 2-3 small changes like eat a salad and one less piece of pizza on pizza night, or swap a quest bar for a snickers.
  • egirlcat207
    egirlcat207 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    -I have to agree about the "D" word-was just thinking of that yesterday-to me the diet means it will end sometime-and once I have reached my goal I can finally eat what I want and take a break from fitness. Well-for me all the progress I make is quickly undone if I don't continue what im doing-there is no end to a better lifestyle and better health. Getting back into it? I did it one meal at a time. One workout at a time-I also got sick for a bit and all good habits quickly went back to bad ones. I find it easy to be comfortable-so get uncomfortable! Got 30 free minutes? get a walk in! log your meals again and just think about today-not where you should be. Skip the junk food aisle and grab a bag of apples! you can do this-because it was you that did it before.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    katherine_startrek_fan Posts: 425 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Start by comparing your current lifestyle with the one you want to achieve. The easiest place to start making changes would be with the aspects of your current lifestyle that are most like your ideal lifestyle.

For me, snacking was a big one. After work, I could easily polish off half a big bag of chips. However, I was able to swap it for a healthy snack between 3-4 pm, which silenced my post work junk food cravings.

It's also important to understand how your food and exercise choices impact your lifestyle in order to understand which changes will lead to others

For example, I find that running helps to suppress my appetite, improves my mood, and increases my satiety when I eat. So, when I run every other day in good weather, it tends to improve my other choices.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that MFP isn't a diet. It is just a tool to track what you eat. Obviously, people can use it for a diet if they like, or not. But that doesn't answer your question. It isn't clear what you mean by not getting back into the routine. If you mean logging everything, I started doing that because I wanted to know how much I was eating. Logging everything naturally motivated me to eat less, because I didn't want to go over the limit. As for changing your mindset, it is your mindset, so just change it.